Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
i installed it last night and the thing is horrible

it chokes on every video not .avi and for iso's the thing just quits itself

i hear people touting it all the time but to me it seems like a real piece of **** software

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Are you in 4.3.1?

If so, XBMC will only work OK if you install the Nightly Builds, the latest official release was broken with the 4.3 update, and all the videos are processed with only software, not hardware.

If you install the Nightly Build, then the problems is fixed. But... it's still a NB, so some bugs are still present.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=96725

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Are you in 4.3.1?

If so, XBMC will only work OK if you install the Nightly Builds, the latest official release was broken with the 4.3 update, and all the videos are processed with only software, not hardware.

If you install the Nightly Build, then the problems is fixed. But... it's still a NB, so some bugs are still present.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=96725

installed the nighly builds and it still doesnt work

these developers are a joke imo

scsjason

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
UK
The point of XBMC on ATV2 is that it allows you to play video/audio that is not stored within iTunes. I have a lot of video in random formats and do not want to convert it all just to play on the ATV2. With XBMC I can just point it at an SMB share from my desktop machine and stream it directly to the ATV2 in whatever format and watch it on my projector. So far it has worked really well and I am impressed with the quality of free software. Its just a shame that apple makes it necessary to JB the box to allow owners of it to use it how they wish.

--
jason

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI

It would be a different story if this app was in the app store, but at this point in time XBMC on IOS is practically a proof of concept on this platform.

And if not happy with it, feel free to return it for the full purchase price. :rolleyes:

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
It would be a different story if this app was in the app store, but at this point in time XBMC on IOS is practically a proof of concept on this platform.

And if not happy with it, feel free to return it for the full purchase price. :rolleyes:
Exactly. It works great on the other platforms but the ATV version is obviously a work in progress.

I'm amazed they even bother at all when people like you have this kind of attitude

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Its just a shame that apple makes it necessary to JB the box to allow owners of it to use it how they wish.

--
jason

Up till ATV 2 it really didn't bother me about jailbreaking my phones etc i was quite happy with them they way they were, i do however agree they really annoyed me with the atv 2 i feel they are getting a little greedy trying to lock it down completely.

I would have been happy to pay a little more for it if they had allowed for personal software to be loaded on it.

jgunn

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
i installed it last night and the thing is horrible

it chokes on every video not .avi and for iso's the thing just quits itself

i hear people touting it all the time but to me it seems like a real piece of **** software

How does your atv go at playing your avi's and iso's without xbmc. oh ok.

mine has 800 avis, all with downloaded covers automatically and all playing without a hitch.

lehite

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010

If you think you can do a better job I'm sure that the XBMC team would love for you to submit patches or contribute productively (rather than just criticize).

I use XBMC (not on ATV2) and I love it, I think that they do a great job and the price is terrific.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
You can't really complain about free software, which is currently under development (no official release for 4.3.1 yet) and runs in a hacked device. As for how to solve your problem, there is nothing we can do to help if you don't offer any details of how you installed XBMC...

Did you use Seas0npass to JB your Apple TV? At the XBMC forums they are saying that the Pwnage tool to JB had some issues with XBMC. (LINK)

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I haven't loaded XBMC in my ATV2 yet. That said, I've been using XBMC for many many years on my hacked Xbox (original) and it was without a doubt the best media streamer I ever used or saw. It would play just about any format.

Lately, I've been using my PS3 to stream, and more recently, my ATV2, so the Xbox hasn't been fired up as much. But I always vouched for XBMC and hacked many peoples' Xbox just for this amazingly free software. Maybe it's not quite yet up to par on the ATV2, but I bet it will get there. There are some smart developers working on that software.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
How does your atv go at playing your avi's and iso's without xbmc. oh ok.

mine has 800 avis, all with downloaded covers automatically and all playing without a hitch.

My avi, mkv, wmv, and other formats play great without xbmc on the ATV. Using Air Video and Airplay. No hacking required. :D

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
As newagemac says use airvideo app on your iphone or ipad to access your mkv and then airplay it to your ATV2. No need for jailbreaking in any of the devices.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

You need the airvideo server software running on your Mac or Pc, but it works great.

Last edited:

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have had my frustrations w/ XBMC in the past but it has run almost flawlessly for me on 4.2.1 and runs pretty good since Dharma on my old AppleTV. Before XBMC, I was having to convert all of my video content to mp4 - not to mention all of the tagging - to play it in iTunes. Also, some prefer XBMC because it doesn't require anything on the server side (iTunes, Plex).

To each his own. I can remember when Boxee on ATV was all the rage but I found it unusable.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Involves encoding, and therefore loss of quality.

Seeing that many people who use xbmc use it for playing terribly outdated formats and containers like .avi, (and often from suspect sources) then I don't think quality is much of a concern for them. ;)

I use modern high quality formats and containers like .m4v and h.264 but if for some reason I am forced to use something like .avi then Air Video + AirPlay works great. And the transcoding is done with bitrates at up to 5mbps which is good for anything up to 720p HD. And of course this method also gives you the option of switching the video back and forth between your mobile device and all your TVs at the tap of a button. If all you want to do is play unsupported formats I believe this is a more attractive option.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK

I'll be honest and say you probably haven't installed it correctly, as i and many others on here and on other forums have the nightly builds and 4.3.1 running as they are intended... almost perfect witha few kinks here and there.

If you are not capable enough of installing software in this fashion then perhaps you should just stay away instead of venting your frustrations towards people who spend their own free time developing FREE software for the public to use and contribute to.

Once a stable official release is out there it will be perfect and at that point i will safely say that i see no need to update my ATV 2 until apple release something spectatcular, at present XBMC makes ATV 2 a dream for most users.

That was my long winded response, in short if you like it then dont use it, stop posting looking for a debate!!!

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010

images

They work for FREE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.