Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redryder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Hi guys,

I recently bought an ipod touch 4G just so that I could facetime with the family back home when I travel. I installed facetime on my imac at home, and have it all set up properly. Tested it at home and it worked flawlessly.

When I'm at a wifi hotspot however, facetime doesn't work as it should. The audio constantly cuts out, meaning I only hear the other side for a second or two, and then silence for 10-15 seconds. Repeat and rinse. Meanwhile the video is still flawlessly smooth. And the people on the imac hear and see me perfectly fine. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my imac microphone since skype calls work fine.

This happens consistently across all wifi hotspots. I have not made a successful facetime call yet to the imac at home. At first I just assumed that the wifi hotspot was slow, but then why would the video be working perfectly but not audio? Is there any setting on facetime where I can set priority to audio instead of video in case of a slow connection?

eyefoniac

macrumors demi-god
Nov 21, 2008
Everywhere and nowhere
I have been using Facetime (1.0.2) from mac to mac and also have this audio issue. I am using a Macbook Pro 15" (3,1) with a Macbook unibody and it is only on my side of the conversation that I hear any audio discrepancy. The video remains flawless throughout the whole conversation but the audio cuts out, almost like the noise cancellation is being over-zealous. Suggestions on toning it down?

Thanks!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I have been using Facetime (1.0.2) from mac to mac and also have this audio issue. I am using a Macbook Pro 15" (3,1) with a Macbook unibody and it is only on my side of the conversation that I hear any audio discrepancy. The video remains flawless throughout the whole conversation but the audio cuts out, almost like the noise cancellation is being over-zealous. Suggestions on toning it down?

Thanks!

Is it possible you have your volume too high? Sometimes I have noticed if my volume is too high my mic will pick up the incoming sound as if I was speaking and cut it out. I FaceTime my family over wifi from Japan to NY every evening and with my volume set at a reasonable level it works flawlessly, in fact way better than Skype.

eyefoniac

macrumors demi-god
Nov 21, 2008
Everywhere and nowhere
Is it possible you have your volume too high? Sometimes I have noticed if my volume is too high my mic will pick up the incoming sound as if I was speaking and cut it out. I FaceTime my family over wifi from Japan to NY every evening and with my volume set at a reasonable level it works flawlessly, in fact way better than Skype.

Hi marc11,

I will definitely give that a shot. I didn't think about it doing that so I will try it tomorrow when I use it again. Many thanks!

I have come to like FaceTime a lot better than Skyle except for this one issue and hopefully this will take care of it.

ToolMaven

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Facetime Audio Problems

The audio dropout on Facetime is very real. I have had the problem using both my Mac Mini and Mac Pro, both running Snow Leopard. I have used 2 different
iSight cameras & a New Logitech HD C910 Pro Webcam. As stated before,
transmission is great, then from 1 to as much as 6 minutes, the receiver
looses my audio. I even substituted some of my professinal microphones,
instead of using the cameras built in units. Same result. I have also used
two different ISP's, still the audio drops out and always at the other end,
I can hear them fine. From all I can gather, the problem is most acute when using Snow Leopard OS. Apple needs to acknowledge the problem & update the software.

WestC07

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
I am having the same issue. On my home WiFi I can facetime for hours iPhone to iPhone. When I get on my 2011 MBP, I can only facetime for about 5 - 10 minutes before the person on the other end of the conversation can no longer hear my audio. I switch over to Skype and I can also chat for hours with no audio issues.

This didn't start happening until very recently... probably within the past 3 weeks. Before the most recent OS update I had no problems. I even reinstalled my OS last week and the problem wasn't solved.

I really do hope this gets addressed soon.

Reactions: ProvoSenior

insearchof

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011

Hi marc11, are your FaceTime calls from Japan to NY free? I'm moving to Japan soon and am really hoping to use FaceTime to keep in touch with my family and avoid international call charges.

ProvoSenior

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
I am having the same issue. On my home WiFi I can facetime for hours iPhone to iPhone. When I get on my 2011 MBP, I can only facetime for about 5 - 10 minutes before the person on the other end of the conversation can no longer hear my audio. I switch over to Skype and I can also chat for hours with no audio issues.

This didn't start happening until very recently... probably within the past 3 weeks. Before the most recent OS update I had no problems. I even reinstalled my OS last week and the problem wasn't solved.

I really do hope this gets addressed soon.
I'm wondering whether this is a Mojave issue - did not happen under previous system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.