Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
10 months later I really think people should wait a couple of months and buy the iPhone 5 in white... Maybe the improvements aren't big but it still is a new gen...

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have people maybe stoped to think, that we may not get a new model this year? That the reason they are putting out the white model now, is to cover the fact we won't see a update till next year?

i didnt read all the comments, but this is my opinion right here, this white iphone 4 launch makes absolutely no sense unless apple is planning to let it run for at least another 6 to 8 months without announcing any new hardware.

i suppose the new iphone 5 will only come out a lot latter than speculated and probably the supposed better guts will be a iphone 4 s just with better insides.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
10 months later I really think people should wait a couple of months and buy the iPhone 5 in white... Maybe the improvements aren't big but it still is a new gen...

On the other hand, if you need a new phone and buy now (vs. waiting until Sept.) it gives you a 4-5 month head-start on getting your 2-year contract finished.

That's 4-5 months sooner you can get an iPhone 6, hopefully with real improvements (LTE, NFC, a durable form factor), instead of being stuck with a marginal speed bump and nothing more.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Apple really wants to squeeze out all potential sales of the iPhone 4 up until the last minute because they lost big time in 3GS sales for nearly 2 months after the leaked/stolen iPhone 4 incident.

I really hope that they will still push out the iPhone 5 in June despite all the rumors that it will be postponed to September.

That's what I'm hoping too for when my 3GS contract expires this summer.

But a white iPhone 4? No thanks Apple.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Further evidence that new hardware will not be released this summer. Why go through the trouble of firing up production of this phone just to shut it down in a month if not less than a month to start production of a new phone?

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
The White IP4 will look sick, much like how awesome the white iPad 2 looks. I think the demand will still be strong for it due to all of the September IP5 rumors, and the fact that I know tons of people that have broken old iPhone are are waiting for the white to release. I would not expect crazy demand for it, but sales should be very good.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
i didnt read all the comments, but this is my opinion right here, this white iphone 4 launch makes absolutely no sense unless apple is planning to let it run for at least another 6 to 8 months without announcing any new hardware.

i suppose the new iphone 5 will only come out a lot latter than speculated and probably the supposed better guts will be a iphone 4 s just with better insides.

+1

As others have posted as well, it makes no sense for Apple to invest this much time and money to get the white iPhone 4 out unless the basic design is going to care over to the iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 looks like it will be iOS 5, A5 processor, probably more memory, maybe an NFC chip, all wrapped in the iPhone 4 shell, both in black and white. LTE 4G and a completely new design comes in iPhone 6.

astroot

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
If this releases on Wednesday, I'm surprised apple.com isn't taking preorders yet. Maybe tomorrow...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The White IP4 will look sick, much like how awesome the white iPad 2 looks. I think the demand will still be strong for it due to all of the September IP5 rumors, and the fact that I know tons of people that have broken old iPhone are are waiting for the white to release. I would not expect crazy demand for it, but sales should be very good.

Why do some posters put down peoples choices or even the fact that it exists in white?

So, if you don't like a white iphone, buy black. It's all good:)

I like black, but my daughter likes white. When I asked why, she said it goes well with her white ipad and white MacBook, when they are all on her desk.

Sounds like as good a reason as any.

She has a 3GS off contract that is totally on it's last legs (broken glass replaced with plastic, battery empty mid-day), so her only decision is to wait out the next iphone or not.
Unfortunately she has never been able to wait for anything(despite me mentioning not to buy 1st gen Apple products), so she'll probably buy the ip4 in white.

I bet there are many people out there in the same situation.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I held onto one 3GS iphone at the last upgrade just for this. Gonna get me a white iPhone 4 this week :D

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
I originally wanted the white model, but ended up getting the black model. Once it hits the shelves, I'll look at it in store to see how it looks in person, to see if I'll want a white iPhone 5....works out well!

Exactly...6 month ago I would have been all over it...now I don't want to get into a 2 year contract only to have the 5 launch in Sept...

I hate my HTC Hero, but I don't hate it THAT bad (and anyway, my wife uses it mostly).....(continues to convince himself to wait)....

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
Why do some posters put down peoples choices or even the fact that it exists in white?

So, if you don't like a white iphone, buy black. It's all good:)

I like black, but my daughter likes white. When I asked why, she said it goes well with her white ipad and white MacBook, when they are all on her desk.

Sounds like as good a reason as any.

She has a 3GS off contract that is totally on it's last legs (broken glass replaced with plastic, battery empty mid-day), so her only decision is to wait out the next iphone or not.
Unfortunately she has never been able to wait for anything(despite me mentioning not to buy 1st gen Apple products), so she'll probably buy the ip4 in white.

I bet there are many people out there in the same situation.

"Sick" in that context means "good" I think...he likes the White too...

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

You might think my comment was stupid, or perhaps ludicrous, but please explain to me what about it was ignorant?

Not sure what's "ignorant" about it. My wife is so excited. She can't wait. Why wouldn't people think the white iPhone would appeal to women?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have people maybe stoped to think, that we may not get a new model this year? That the reason they are putting out the white model now, is to cover the fact we won't see a update till next year?

this is apple.....they don't care as long as their wallet gets thicker.

they could launch this in a few days, then come out with an iphone 5 in June. They don't care....people will buy from them regardless

SpaceKyd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Three and a half thousand iDiots and counting. I'll buy a White iPhone 5... I don't see the point in buying an iPhone 4 now no matter what color it is...

daveandme

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
3G - wait or jump

I've got an almost 3 year old iphone 3G that has become almost useless because of its sluggishness. I was planning on jumping on the iphone 5 before it was delayed (supposedly).

What would you do if it were you? Wait until possibly next year to get the iphone 5 or go ahead and pick up a 4 now?

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
I'll probably get one, I'm so sick of my dumb phone and tired of seeing the wife with her iP4. It'll just put me in line for the iP6 upgrade path, don't know if I would even use the extra HP with the iP5. Plus, I would think you would be able to sell a genuine white iP4 on ebay and get a good chunk.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010

why does it make no sense?

The iPhone 4 isn't going anywhere for another year or so. Why does it hurt Apple to release another colour version of a phone to offer more choices to the customer? They are simply delivering on a promise they made last year.

Apple could easily announce a new iPhone in June and it would still sell millions.

Granted I am expecting them to announce something in September if the latest rumours are anything to go by.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Once again you are proving that you know nothing about production issues.

Guilty as charged, which I indicated by adding 'supposed' to the post you quoted. This is not for lack of research, but rather due to the lack of forthcomingness from Apple. Most companies would have stated what the issue was, the corrective steps being taken to address it, and an apology for the massive (10 months out of an avg 12 month product life:eek:) delay. Apple ? Nothing, nada, zip, zilch....and that was one of the many disgraces I alluded to originally. Making a promice, not delivering on it for 10 months, and not being open as to the reason(s) why = DISGRACEFUL and DISGUSTING

There is a big difference between making a few samples to show and circulate and real en masse production.
There are also issues with white products that only show up after a certain amount of time.
White tends to have aluminum oxide pigments and in many cases light inhibitors. Depending on the material used there may have been a delayed photo mechanical reaction.
That especially, when several layers of white are used.
But I am only guessing, the real issues are only know to Apple.

Apple is a preeemint designer of consumer electronics in the World, in fact based on market cap, they are the second most valuable company in the United States. They are not some bush league designers, that much is certain. Apple had 6 months to find this issue, SIX MONTHS - plenty of time I think to do pre-produciotn runs and to identify the issue. The white iPhone 4 should never had graced Steve Jobs Keynote unless that were sure they could deliver it in a TIMELY manner. The fact that is did is another disgrace of the White iPhone 4.

You also know absolutely NOTHING about the real issues other than what people speculated.

Yes, I know nothing about the delay....due to the disgraceful actions of Apple and their total lack of openness. Again, I said "supposed" in the post you quoted to indicate I was not certain of the issue. I've added the definition for your edification, as you seem to not know the meaning of the word.

Supposed: (verb) assume that something is the case on the basis of evidence or probability but without proof or certain knowledge

For Apple to recognize it and NOT ship it, just because they showed it proves what a good company they are.

Whatever time it then took to fix it is unimportant.

So being 10 months late on a product, whose historic refresh cycle is ~12 months, is "unimportant". I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think a delay that encompasses 80%+ of the historic product cycle is kind of important. To say otherwise speaks volumes.

Oh, and try telling the people who waited 10 months to get one or who got a black one but really wanted a white one how "unimportant" this issue is. I'm sure your comment will fall on deaf ears.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Haha! Pawnage. Don't agree with your politics but that's some funny ***** right there.

As for the poll, it's a shame it didn't include the option "No, because it's really tragic looking"

MACiVoy

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
I will be paying full price for one..

Why you ask?

Because I can, and I want to separate from the masses..

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
My sisters upgrade is due and she has no desire for a new phone so she has kindly said she'll get an iPhone 4 for me for her free upgrade :). Going to wait til later this week for the white one as it looks so much better than the black too me.

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
Reasons for buying White iPhone

Here are my reasons, so all you invective commenters can hold your horses. In my case, say you were waiting for an iPhone 5, and the rumors are (from numerous credible sources) that it's going to be delayed until Fall. Ok, big deal, it's just a few more months. But then, say that the rumors also say that it's just going to be an iPhone 3GS type of an update, same form factor, etc. No 4G, no bigger screen, blah blah blah. For me, I want the next "major" upgrade, with the most important feature being 4G. Why would anyone choose to wait to get locked into a contract with such a phone? Why not just get the iP4 now, and have your contract up when the iP6 comes out? Now, in addition, at the time all these rumors come out, you see a lot of evidence that the white iP4 is coming out in less than two weeks. You like the color white, so voila, it makes sense.

Contrary to popular belief, most people have rational reasons for doing the things they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.