Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgonuovo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Better specs please!

How many people here would change their mind if the white one was released with upgraded specs (A5 chip)? I'll probably end up getting one for my wife because she's wanted one since launch.

I AGREE- JUST NEED SLIGHTLY BETTER ANTENNA & SPECS (64gb? Or, even better, A5) - and we are foolish buyers again!!!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Fail poll is fail.

The most obvious reason people are not going to get the white iPhone 4 -- "I'm waiting for the iPhone 5" is not even a choice.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
The white model looks far worse than the black model. Apple should have used the 3G design anyway, it was way better than the iPhone 4's design...

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I think there should be an option in the poll for "No thanks, waiting for the iPhone 5" as it can't be that far away.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I have a black iPhone 4 but I think I may wait until the iPhone 5 hits and pickup a white iPhone 4 for $99 as a collectors item. I don't think I'm going to get the iPhone 5 because I have a policy to only buy a new iPhone every other year and I doubt the iPhone 6 will have the same design. I really, really like the look of the iPhone 4 and I always thought the white one was the better looking one that's why I want one in my collection.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I just prefer tech in black anyways. Black TV, Black Xbox, Black Router, Black Sound System, Black Laptop, Black iPhone :cool:

djpraize

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
NC
I'm debating. I actually am within my 30 day window of having bought a Black iPhone 4 (had to switch corporate phone line to personal liable plan). No way I would pay money just to switch colors, but I always wanted a white iPhone. I think I'll mosey to AT&T, see how it looks, and if I like it and AT&T will swap, I'll get it.

I really like the black iPhone as well, so either way I'm happy.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Your Missing the point, it is a complete waste for apple to release this phone in this color.

#1 - it has taken them almost a year to work out the paint issues with this thing meaning that they have been putting R&D money effertlessly into a phone color, all for what?

#2 - If you are the few that dont have a cover of a "bumper" for your phone, then you will get to show off your cool new white phone which will take on every scratch and every dirt stain you can imagine.

#3 - If they have worked so long and hard on this new color, to mass produce it and ship it all over the world, just before they are going to release a new product, within 6 months (approximately) dont you think they would just for go the ip4 white and just apply it to the IP5 and get prepared for that?

#4 - WHO CARES, who literally waited this long for the white Iphone? honestly who in their right minds would have held out to wait for this phone. If someone was going to get an Iphone I dont think the lack of color selection was a deterrent.

What a waste of money, time and hype... this is honestly one of the worst ideas apple has had, or do they actually just have so much money they can afford a huge bill for a product that was either going to be purchased or not regardless of the color.

urgh, worst post i have read on here for a while.

Apple aren't losing anything by offering a choice to the customer. It's still the same phone and costs the same. Not sure why you are saying its a complete waste. People will still buy it.

Also, remember Apple will be selling the iPhone 4 for another year at least alongside the iPhone 5. Its not like the iPhone 4 is going to disappear from the shelves as soon as the iPhone 5 releases.

You do know scratches are less visible on white also. It is the same glass as the black iPhone so im not sure what you are getting at with the stain remark.

DeChrii

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
i'll most likely get one as much as i would want to wait for the iphone 5... but that way i get vzn's unlimited data if they remove it in the summer...hopefully be grandfathered too after the contract for another 2 years etc.

Skywarrior

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
Oklahoma City
I've waited so long for the white iPhone 4 that I no longer care for an iPhone 4 and will simply wait for the iPhone 5. The delay in shipping the white iPhone 4 cost Apple a sale. It's not like my iPhone 3G stopped working when the iPhone 4 was released.

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Wife pleaser.

My wife has been holding off for months getting an iPone because she wants the white one.... she will be pleased .... and she might stop asking me about it!

EugenexYew

macrumors regular
Reasons to get white iPhone 4:
1. Contract ends before new release.
2. Assuming there's a Sept/Oct release, there is a 5/6 month time period, which is like Dec/Jan if it's released in June.
3. You think iPhone 5 won't be much of a difference.
4. You really like white.
5. Your current phone is spoilt.
6. You had been holding off this whole time.
7. You feel that it's never ever wrong to get an Apple product regardless of time and/or edition.
8. You feel that, since everyone's got a black iPhone 4, going white would make you feel more unique and stand out from the crowd.

Reasons not to get a white iPhone 4:
1. You have a black iPhone 4.
2. Your contract probably lasts till after iPhone 5's release.
3. You desire iPhone 5's soon-to-be-announced ample/drastic improvements.
4. You prefer black to white.
5. You don't want to waste your money (yet).
6. You have the white iPad 2.
7. You are an Android/BB/WP7 user.
8. You hate Apple products.

Probably gonna get a white iPhone 4, call me an idiot for all I care. :D
I will be contented with my purchase. *that is unless, the paint still drops off*

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
not expecting large sales

I am not sure how many sales of this item will occur. I would tend to think that people who wanted an iPhone 4 already have one. If it was released earlier to the release of the iPhone 4, it might have sold better but since people are expecting the iPhone 5 to come out around September, I am not expecting a large number of them to be sold.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

entraik said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

White iPhone ... The hot new accessory for females this summer.

most ignorant statement ever.

Possibly one of the most exaggerated responses to a post...ever....

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I know the reason, or the supposed reason (who knows, Apple has been as tight lipped as ever on the issue) . If true, its a disgrace it made it to the keynote presentation, without the issue being identified or a reasonable fix found. I don't care how you square it - being 10 months late for a device who has an average life of 12 months is utter incompetence and hence disgraceful.

Hats off for Apple sticking to it, but that does not take away from the fact that they should never have made the promise w/o a better understanding of production issues. The iPhone 4 design has been around since at least January 2010, per spy shots of the iPad before release. So, its not as if the design was so new that they could claim there was no time to identify the issue until after the June 2010 keynote by Steve Jobs.

Once again you are proving that you know nothing about production issues.

There is a big difference between making a few samples to show and circulate and real en masse production.
There are also issues with white products that only show up after a certain amount of time.
White tends to have aluminum oxide pigments and in many cases light inhibitors. Depending on the material used there may have been a delayed photo mechanical reaction.
That especially, when several layers of white are used.
But I am only guessing, the real issues are only know to Apple.

You also know absolutely NOTHING about the real issues other than what people speculated.

For Apple to recognize it and NOT ship it, just because they showed it proves what a good company they are.

Whatever time it then took to fix it is unimportant.

If you would be for once logical you could see that in Apple's eyes there was a significant problem that took time to figure out.

If there wasn't it would have shipped already long time ago!

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The white model looks far worse than the black model. Apple should have used the 3G design anyway, it was way better than the iPhone 4's design...

This.

You can at least carry a 3G/3GS around without worrying that the front and back of the phone will shatter from the slightest drop or bump.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple really wants to squeeze out all potential sales of the iPhone 4 up until the last minute because they lost big time in 3GS sales for nearly 2 months after the leaked/stolen iPhone 4 incident.

I really hope that they will still push out the iPhone 5 in June despite all the rumors that it will be postponed to September.

it's not like the new android phones are so much better than last year. so far the only dual core ARM Core A9 phone is the Motorola Atrix and it wasn't that good. The VZW Thunderbolt is last year's CPU with LTE. My HTC INspire 4G is the same CPU as the Thunderbolt with HSPA+ and the iphone 4 beats it in uploads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.