Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epictempo

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
If you actually owned both handsets (3G and 3GS), you can more readily see the significance of the update. The 3GS, even though it "looked" the same as the 3G, was a totally different beast. Much, much faster. It made it hard to even go back to using a 3G once you got accustomed to the 3GS.

You could say the same for the 4 and 3gs. It's almost unbearable to look at the 3gs' screen after the 4. A lot more zooming in to read web pages. The camera is far superior, more snappy, battery, etc.

Every model is better than the last, but I don't think Apple is ready to let go of the 4's phenomenal success, there will be a 4(letter).

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
You could say the same for the 4 and 3gs. It's almost unbearable to look at the 3gs' screen after the 4. A lot more zooming in to read web pages. The camera is far superior, more snappy, battery, etc.

Every model is better than the last, but I don't think Apple is ready to let go of the 4's phenomenal success, there will be a 4(letter).

That's true, but it's not the point that I, and a few others, were making. We were saying that despite the external look, the 3GS and the iPhone 4 are much more alike (almost identical, actually) in internal (important) hardware than the 3G and 3GS are/were. Most people think, because of the identical external appearance, that the 3GS was a "minor" upgrade from the 3G internal architecture-wise, when in fact it was pretty major. The iPhone 4 was actually a "minor" bump (again, architecture-wise) from the 3GS. So, based on that pattern, even if the "iPhone 5" looks similar/same as the iPhone 4 on the outside, inside it should be a pretty big jump. And if the rumors out there are true (the dual core A9 CPU, the new big jump in GPU), it'll be just that...a big leap. The external look means nothing as far as how big of a technology update the phone encloses. The 3G to 3GS proves that.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
With all the bitching and bashing from Fanboys about Best Buy, I'm surprised this tread even got off the ground.

I guess many were simply posing.

The lure of Apple has them hypnotized. :eek:

Drooling, wallets quivering, ready to pounce.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.