Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

103641-iphone_3gs_4.jpg

Market research firm NPD today announced the results of its "Mobile Phone Track" survey for the first quarter of 2011, covering U.S. mobile phone sales. According to the study, Apple rode the strength of the CDMA iPhone launch on Verizon to eat into Android's share of the smartphone market for the first time since the second quarter of 2009. Android does, however, continue to hold a strong lead in market share.
The Android OS lost ground for the first time since Q2 2009, falling to 50 percent of smartphone unit sales in Q1 2011 compared to 53 percent in the prior quarter. Apple iOS share rose 9 percentage points to comprise 28 percent of smartphone unit sales. BlackBerry OS also lost ground, falling 5 points, to 14 percent.
The iPhone surge comes even as Apple has reportedly sliced CDMA iPhone 4 production to half of its initial 2011 projections.

Looking at all mobile phones, Apple ranked third among manufacturers with 14% of the market, behind Samsung at 23% and LG at 18%. And with continued strong growth from the iPhone and Android, smartphones for the first time represented the majority of U.S. mobile phone sales at 54%.

Apple's iPhone 4 ranked as the top-selling mobile phone in the U.S. during the quarter, and perhaps most surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS took second place in the rankings. Despite essentially being a nearly two-year-old device, the iPhone 3GS almost certainly received a strong boost during the first quarter after AT&T and Apple dropped the price to $49 on a two-year contract. The iPhone 3GS is not available on Verizon.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone Surge Yields First Slip in Android U.S. Sales Share in Two Years

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
"Mobile Phone Track" survey ???

Ahhh they are tracking us

seriously though this is not a surprise

i imagine the next iphone will be on all networks and the iphone 4 sales will still be strong as well at a lower price

should even the game a little with Android

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This is the important part:

Apple's iPhone 4 ranked as the top-selling mobile phone in the U.S. during the quarter, and perhaps most surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS took second place in the rankings. Despite essentially being a nearly two-year-old device . . .

That speaks volumes.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not often that the 'best' also means the best-selling.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think it's pretty clear now that we won't really know what "the iPhone comes to Verizon" fully means until next year. Too many variables to learn anything quickly.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anyone else find these stories on market share to be completely boring?!?

Can MacRumors setup a Page 3 section to put these on and keep the interesting rumors on the first page (new Macs, new iOS, etc)?

Until Apple announces they are stopping production of the iPhone due to low sales.....I don't care who sells the most. :rolleyes:

-Kevin

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
If this story hits Engadget, it's going to get ugly in the comments.

Getting my popcorn ready.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
So the iPhone went from being pummeled by Android to now just being badly beaten.

That is Awesome.

the iPhone doesn't compete against Android. The iPhone competes against all of the handsets running Android. And it's killing them. The 3GS as the second best-selling handset? That's frankly embarrassing for Android.

So tell me, in what world is having:
1 - the most popular handset
2 - the 2nd most popular handset
3 - the most popular mobile OS
4 - the most popular tablet
getting "badly beaten"?

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
THere are two articles on the home page right now: one about Verizon iPhones not selling as well as thought, and one on the Verizon iPhone surge causing Android US market share to slip.

So the news is that they are simultaneously doing better and worse than anticipated?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Of course, because verizon can no longer tell people to buy the crappy knockoff called Android when people ask for the iPhone, now they have the real iPhone.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So the iPhone went from being pummeled by Android to now just being badly beaten.

That is Awesome.

No even if Android marketshare is bigger iPhone is STILL the winner. Two handsets verses 90+ Android handsets and Apple still holds its own. That should tell you something but I'm sure it doesn't.

Why I reply to you I'll never know since everyone knows what you are.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

That is Awesome.

Why do you keep comparing a single phone model to an entire platform used on 20 some devices?

Oh... that's right... it's all you can hang your hat on. Sorry... let's talk pummeled or badly beaten when any single Android phone outsells the iPhone.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
the iPhone doesn't compete against Android. The iPhone competes against all of the handsets running Android. And it's killing them. The 3GS as the second best-selling handset? That's frankly embarrassing for Android.

getting "badly beaten"?

Only in that parallel universe occupied by Full of, and others of its ilk.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It is interesting to see the 3Gs doing so well. Too bad Apple doesn't make a "light version" of iOS for it so it's snappier again. It was a good phone and for many consumers at $49 or maybe even free someday a great entry level smart phone.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular

getting "badly beaten"?

And don't forget Apple is by far the most successful financially with regards to smartphones or mobile OS, which is the only way it actually counts

but I disagree that it is embarrassing for Android, they are actually doing well, its the other smartphone makers who should be embarrassed

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This is the important part:

Apple's iPhone 4 ranked as the top-selling mobile phone in the U.S. during the quarter, and perhaps most surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS took second place in the rankings. Despite essentially being a nearly two-year-old device . . .

That speaks volumes.

.....About the the mentality of the people who buy a two year old phone just so they can say they have an iPhone.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
.....About the the mentality of the people who buy a two year old phone just so they can say they have an iPhone.

Not much different than people who get cheap/free (and crappy) Android phones to say they have a phone that's "good enough as the iPhone." And those phones, though they may be recently manufactured, generally run Android 1.6-2.0. Not exactly high quality...

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
It is an impressive market share to be commanded by a single product line, versus numerous hardware manufacturers running Android. No single Android product even comes close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.