Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Genetheninja

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
.....About the the mentality of the people who buy a two year old phone just so they can say they have an iPhone.

False! It speaks volumes about how consumers react to the most innovative original and popular smartphone in history being only $50 with a contract.

kdarling

macrumors P6
... perhaps most surprisingly, the iPhone 3GS took second place in the rankings. Despite essentially being a nearly two-year-old device . . .

That speaks volumes.

That low price sells?

According to your past posts, selling phones at a low price ($49 in this case) is a sign of desperation, of an attempt to flood the market.

Heck, that's far cheaper than BOGO sales for other handsets where two people have sign long contracts.

Or, could it just possibly be that people aren't always swayed just by price? That the device itself could be a major factor?

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Anyone else find these stories on market share to be completely boring?!?
-Kevin

Insanely Boring

They can always try.
Please can we have some rumors abour iOS5 maybe?

Thats what Im waiting on also. Usually rumors would have been all over the place by now. All we are getting is cloud romors.

Aug 26, 2008
I'm honestly surprised by a lot of you. The whole "no single android phone outsells the iPhone!" argument, is foolish and weak. It's a platform war. You basically get ONE CHOICE with the iPhone. Now it's a great choice, but of course it's going to be a top seller as a result. There are so many good Android choices out there that a single model isn't going to dwarf the others. Since there are, you know, options? As a platform it seems iOS is getting whooped on. Does that not register, or are people that much in denial?

Now myself, I like my iPhone, but come on...in this case we are talking about platforms...So weird...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm honestly surprised by a lot of you. The whole "no single android phone outsells the iPhone!" argument, is foolish and weak. It's a platform war. You basically get ONE CHOICE with the iPhone. Now it's a great choice, but of course it's going to be a top seller as a result. There are so many good Android choices out there that a single model isn't going to dwarf the others. Since there are, you know, options? As a platform it seems iOS is getting whooped on. Does that not register, or are people that much in denial?

Now myself, I like my iPhone, but come on...in this case we are talking about platforms...So weird...

I don't agree with the whole "choices" statement as being a plus side for Android. If you don't like iPhone, don't choose iPhone. If you like Android, choose Android. I don't consider Android having an advantage because its available on more handsets. Most people choose the phone they like and don't care too much about the OS that runs on it. (Seriously go browse a cell phone store for awhile, people are attracted to the hardware and 9 times out of 10 don't care about the OS).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm honestly surprised by a lot of you. The whole "no single android phone outsells the iPhone!" argument, is foolish and weak. It's a platform war.

How do you "win" a platform war?

Does Google win because they have so many devices running their Android OS? *Marketshare*

Or does Apple win because you have to buy their hardware in order to get iOS? *Profit*

Or can we just agree that both platforms are doing insanely well in their respective ways?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How do you "win" a platform war?

Does Google win because they have so many devices running their Android OS? *Marketshare*

Or does Apple win because you have to buy their hardware in order to get iOS? *Profit*

Or can we just agree that both platforms are doing insanely well in their respective ways?

Agreeing on that would be too logical. :D

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Why do you keep comparing a single phone model to an entire platform used on 20 some devices?

Oh... that's right... it's all you can hang your hat on. Sorry... let's talk pummeled or badly beaten when any single Android phone outsells the iPhone.

FULL OF........ probably has 3 iphones and is waiting for ip5 to belittle it
as ip4. For those who do not know:

He is an Apple and MR addict and has this forum on auto refresh and stored
paste phrases.

APPLE IS (A)
going down,
embarrassing,
disgrace,
badly beaten,
weak on specs,
losing the battle

You can insert that as you like or add.

110 MILLION plus iphones sold and still selling strong (instead of buy one get one FREE) says it all .

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
the iPhone doesn't compete against Android. The iPhone competes against all of the handsets running Android. And it's killing them. The 3GS as the second best-selling handset? That's frankly embarrassing for Android.

Yes, the iPhone does compete against Android. The last time I went into a AT&T or Verizon store, this was obvious. To say that the iPhone does not compete against Android is silly.

the most popular handset
the 2nd most popular handset
Because there is only two hardware choices, the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. Making this argument is so empty, in that it does not take into account the reasons behind it.

the most popular mobile OS
Hello Mr. Straw man. The article was about iPhone; if you read it it states "covering U.S. mobile phone sales". Now, if by mobile OS, you are also adding in the iPad, that is debatable. I've been a iPad 3G owner since April 30th 2010, and I can tell you that I do not consider the iPad a mobile device. Sure, its easy to carry, but to lump in its sales with phone handset sales is a stretch. If you are making that stretch, how about adding netbooks into the mix as well?

the most popular tablet
. Again, the article was about the iPhone vs. Andriod handset sales, not the tablet sales. Another Straw Man approach to a comment about iPhone handset sales.

getting "badly beaten"?
When your sales numbers for phones are ~50% of that of your competitor; whereas a few years ago they were barely a blip, then yes that means they are getting kicked in the teeth in handset OS sales.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Hmmmm . . .

Should Google be more excited about how many copies of Android it has sold . . . .

Or Apple about how many copies of the iPhone it has sold ?

(little hint, Google isn't selling the Android OS)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

It's a platform war, but not in the way that a lot of people think it is. Developers are making a lot more money on iOS because it has a lot more users and those users tend to buy things. Therefore, those users are going to get the developers' attention first. That may change later, but for now, it's not going to.

The marketshare game does not work in this battle, at least not for now. And it's not an even fight in more ways than one. When Apple goes to all carriers (it will in time) in the US, this is all going to look a lot different. Android may still "win" in terms of sheer numbers, but it will be a much closer fight, and iPhone will still have the mind share.

I knew a lot of my friends and family would go iPhone once it went to Verizon, but I am really really surprised to find out that it's a lot more people than I even thought. One friend of mine JUST got her Droid 2 a few months ago and dumped it immediately for the Verizon iPhone the other day. She was a self proclaimed "Android person".

People who settled for Android are changing their tune. This is going to get really interesting.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
If apple got their dual-band world phone out a year earlier, for all carriers, it would have made a huge difference!!!! I can't believe apple is delaying the iPhone 5!!!!!!!!!!

I am not apple, so I am probably wrong, but delaying the IPhone 5 seems like the worst business decision ever!!!!!!!!!

The iPhone 5 better be a major upgrade that makes it better than all the other devices out there, and better be on all carriers!!!!

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
This is fun.
Yes, the iPhone does compete against Android. The last time I went into a AT&T or Verizon store, this was obvious. To say that the iPhone does not compete against Android is silly.
WRONG. iPhone = hardware. Android = software.
iOS competes against Android.

Because there is only two hardware choices, the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. Making this argument is so empty, in that it does not take into account the reasons behind it.

WRONG. The choice is iPhone OR any Android phone OR any Win7 Phone OR any RIM phone, etc.

Hello Mr. Straw man. The article was about iPhone; if you read it it states "covering U.S. mobile phone sales". Now, if by mobile OS, you are also adding in the iPad, that is debatable. I've been a iPad 3G owner since April 30th 2010, and I can tell you that I do not consider the iPad a mobile device. Sure, its easy to carry, but to lump in its sales with phone handset sales is a stretch. If you are making that stretch, how about adding netbooks into the mix as well?

If those netbooks ran Android, I'd count them. But they don't. And YOU'RE bringing up straw men? Phone versus non-phone makes no difference if they're running the same OS and same apps.

When your sales numbers for phones are ~50% of that of your competitor; whereas a few years ago they were barely a blip, then yes that means they are getting kicked in the teeth in handset OS sales.

In your mind maybe. But only in your mind.

PS: Handset OS sales? What the hell does that mean?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs

Apple sells its OS ? Google sells its OS?

Funny, last I heard, Apple sells phones, and the iPhone is out-selling every other phone model on the market. Apple even sells more phones than Google :rolleyes: In-fact, Google's phone hardware effort was an Epic Fail by any measure. Funny how people can't grasp the "market" that Apple competes in - hardware. With a greater market cap that exceeds Microsoft or Google, I don't think Apple is too worried.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

Silly how? iPhone is a hardware and Android is an OS. This is apple v.s. meat. It's not even fruit v.s. fruit :rolleyes:

.... Again, the article was about the iPhone vs. Andriod handset sales, not the tablet sales. Another Straw Man approach to a comment about iPhone handset sales.

Since you are talking about "sale". Can you list any Androids device that outsell the iPhone?
---->>>>>>> Buy one get one free --> only 1 device make money, the second is free. So, for 100 Androids devices got on the customers' hand, only 50 of them are "sold".

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's a platform war, but not in the way that a lot of people think it is. Developers are making a lot more money on iOS because it has a lot more users and those users tend to buy things. Therefore, those users are going to get the developers' attention first.

It's better than that. Not only does the iOS platform include the iPod Touch and the iPad, which about doubles the platform installed base of users, but iPad and iPhone users each buy more paid apps on average. Android customers seem like cheapskates by comparison, and far less profitable to target by most developers. With that kind of tilted revenue incentive for mobile app developers moving to iOS, how is the Android platform going to keep up?

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006

Last I checked, the iPhone was a handset and the Android was an operating system. Still want to keep comparing the two? Or are you just intentionally doing this to make your point sound valid?

(lincolntran beat me to it lol)
(Edit again: and PghLondon... haha well a third time's a charm)

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Android is *unstoppable.

*when it's the only game in town

Let's get the iPhone on Sprint and T-Mobile and see how things shake out, hmm?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
how many people held off on the verizon iPhone 4 thinking there would be a verizon iPhone 5 in June?
Apple's takeover of verizon is still in the early stages.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Win... the point is, it's not hurting Apple. Apple continues to grow it's share. It's hurting the others. Android has replaced a hodge podge of OS's out there.

So, it's not "kicking the teeth" out of iOS. That would only be a fair statement if Apple had a licensing program for others. But they don't. Moto, Samsung and others ran to Android because their own efforts were abysmal and they needed to do something before Apple owned the smart phone universe.

Yes, it has slowed Apple's adoption because it is a very attractive alternative, but again... not a fair comparison and if anyone is getting teeth rattled, it's RIM. They have been consistently loosing market share and it's not looking good for BB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.