Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091933-idc_1q11_phones.png

Research firm IDC today released results for global mobile phone sales for the first quarter of 2011, showing Apple hitting a 5% share of the overall market for the first time. The data also shows Apple regaining the fourth-place position it lost to ZTE last quarter.
Apple maintained its number 4 spot on IDC's Top 5 list thanks to a record quarter for unit shipments. The company posted the highest growth rate of the worldwide leaders. Apple's results were buoyed by strong sales on Verizon Wireless and additional carrier deals; the company is now on 186 carriers operating in 90 countries. The iPhone once again sold particularly well in developed economic regions of the world, such as North America and Western Europe.
Apple's 114.9% year-over-growth easily led the major mobile phone manufacturers and enabled the company to grow its share of the market from 2.8% to 5.0%.

Apple's initial goal when it launched the iPhone in 2007 was to capture 1% of the global mobile phone market, a figure met with some skepticism by the company's competitors. Apple of course quickly reached that goal and has continued to post strong unit sales growth as consumers have increasingly turned to smartphones for their mobile device needs.

In support of IDC's numbers, Strategy Analytics released a similar report today showing Apple with 5.3% of the overall worldwide mobile phone market for the quarter. The primary difference between the two reports comes from IDC counting approximately 20 million more handsets in the "Others" category than Strategy Analytics.

A report released just yesterday by NPD showed Apple taking 14% of the total mobile market in the United States, but the company of course holds a lower share of the worldwide market due in part to the premium pricing its devices carry in many countries where consumers are more likely to purchase low-end phones on prepaid plans.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Global Mobile Phone Market Hits 5%

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
It's funny, but wherever I go, I always see people with iPhones. My train, on plane trips between Chicago and NYC, during meetings, etc. I am amazed the number is only 5% - but I guess it's the circles that I am in.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I'm still amazed that we're at the point where we can measure Apple on the 'mobile phone' scale and not just the 'smartphone' scale.

Indeed, and unlike the trolls, Apple users are amazed at how well Apple is doing in these rankings. When the iPhone first came out, I doubt anyone expected Apple to do as well as it has.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's funny, but wherever I go, I always see people with iPhones. My train, on plane trips between Chicago and NYC, during meetings, etc. I am amazed the number is only 5% - but I guess it's the circles that I am in.

Indeed it is, Personally, I only know 3 people with iPhones and I know no-one with any Mac based computer at all.

Unless you count an iPad in which case I know one person with an iPad.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
In Stockholm and Frankfurt, I hardly see any iPhones. Also, I hardly see any iPads. I do however see a ton of MacBookPros but almost no MacBookAirs.

I find both places very style-centric (Stockholm especially), but also somewhat frugal. I don't think that iPhone will reach as large of a market share in Europe due to the high upfront cost of an iPhone (659€/799€ for 16GB/32GB).

Actually, it's running joke that you can identify an American by iPhone/iPad (aside from the loud inane conversation).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
As said in the article, Apple has a noticeably higher market share in developed economies, and I would assume this to be particularly true for the U.S.. Moreover, a smartphone (particularly one that doubles as an iPod) will be much more often in the hands of someone compared to being in their pocket. Feature phones likely come only out of the pockets when actually speaking or texting on them.
In Stockholm and Frankfurt, I hardly see any iPhones. Also, I hardly see any iPads. I do however see a ton of MacBookPros but almost no MacBookAirs.

I find both places very style-centric (Stockholm especially), but also somewhat frugal. I don't think that iPhone will reach as large of a market share in Europe due to the high upfront cost of an iPhone (659€/799€ for 16GB/32GB).
I am seeing a lot of iPhones in Switzerland (greater Zurich area) but then Switzerland has high disposable income and always had one of the highest rates of Mac ownership worldwide.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I continue to be amazed by the number of students at my community college that have iPhones. These are students who for the most part are struggling to make ends meet, yet were willing to spend their limited cash that way. There are at least two or three students with iPhones in each of my classes; two years ago, I didn't see any -- and mine was a curiosity to them.

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008

Sat on a crowded tube train the other week and did a straw poll of the phones people took out of their pockets during the journey.

I counted something like 9 phones, and 7 were iPhones. And 5 of them were iPhone 4s.

Obviously it's not scientific, but Apple are doing something right.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I continue to be amazed by the number of students at my community college that have iPhones. These are students who for the most part are struggling to make ends meet, yet were willing to spend their limited cash that way. There are at least two or three students with iPhones in each of my classes; two years ago, I didn't see any -- and mine was a curiosity to them.

iPhones don't cost any more than other smart phones, so I don't see why you find this surprising. If you need a phone, might as well get the best.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
iPhones don't cost any more than other smart phones, so I don't see why you find this surprising. If you need a phone, might as well get the best.

The problem for Apple is that Android handsets come out, which are the very top and, as you say the same price, then a while later a new top Android phone comes out, so the old one gets offered to people at a lower price, then an even newer Android handset comes out, so the original one is now offered at a very lower price and so it goes on.

So, people can may a LOT for an iPhone or get an Android phone that was the very best a while ago for much less.

Apple don't tend to let old models slip down the pricing ladder in this way, hence they will always lose out from amass of sales that are at low to medium price bracket, and that's where the bulk of the consumer market is.

Apple are the only ones that lose out due to this policy.

And to be honest, a lot of people don't know, care, understand. the iPhone is just another phone, like and Android phone. they are all the same thing, you can get apps and games on them all and they are all phones.

Lots of people just don't care.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Everyone I know either has an iPhone or wants an iPhone. I even know a slew of Apple-loathing PC fanboys who have iPhones and HATE that they have iPhones, but love the iPhones so much.

Most people wanting an iPhone, that I know, don't have a problem with the $199 price tag, but with the 2-year plan and cost per month. They are generally cell phone non-dependants who have use-as-you-go plans due to lack of consuming need. $120/mo. for everything unlimited is ridiculous. If it was $40/mo. for everything unlimited, I believe cell providers would see a surge in sales. Then again, would that cheap a price provide them profit?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Everyone I know either has an iPhone or wants an iPhone. I even know a slew of Apple-loathing PC fanboys who have iPhones and HATE that they have iPhones, but love the iPhones so much.

Most people wanting an iPhone, that I know, don't have a problem with the $199 price tag, but with the 2-year plan and cost per month. They are generally cell phone non-dependants who have use-as-you-go plans due to lack of consuming need. $120/mo. for everything unlimited is ridiculous. If it was $40/mo. for everything unlimited, I believe cell providers would see a surge in sales. Then again, would that cheap a price provide them profit?

The cost of ownership with an iPhone is what drove me away. Paying 100+ a month for my phone (I got for free when I worked at Apple so I wouldn't have paid that much anyways for it) is crazy to me. I pay 70 a month with Sprint and get unlimited everything including 4G and my EVO was like 200 bucks after rebates. If the iPhone came to Sprint... maybe I'd switch back... maybe I wouldn't.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Are you sure these are not Samsungs?:)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

Apple's Share of Global Mobile Phone Market Hits 5%.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Apple better get on the stick and start doing things right... otherwise, they'll be at 10% in no time! :p

It will be interesting to see what 2011 brings with all the new OS (Lion and iOS) changes and the potential of the iPhone5 just around the corner.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Actually, it's running joke that you can identify an American by iPhone/iPad (aside from the loud inane conversation).

i'm from near frankfurt and i have yet to see a iPad out in the wild ... so much for portable :p but i seen one used at a friends house ^^

i see lots of iPhone's in my class tho, its kinda annoying to have a iPhone by now. we had to do a project for class recently and 4 of 5 out of my group had a iPhone 4 (with 2 of those having shattered screens - but that is another matter)

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
The problem for Apple is that Android handsets come out, which are the very top and, as you say the same price, then a while later a new top Android phone comes out, so the old one gets offered to people at a lower price, then an even newer Android handset comes out, so the original one is now offered at a very lower price and so it goes on.

So, people can may a LOT for an iPhone or get an Android phone that was the very best a while ago for much less.

Apple don't tend to let old models slip down the pricing ladder in this way, hence they will always lose out from amass of sales that are at low to medium price bracket, and that's where the bulk of the consumer market is.

Apple are the only ones that lose out due to this policy.

And to be honest, a lot of people don't know, care, understand. the iPhone is just another phone, like and Android phone. they are all the same thing, you can get apps and games on them all and they are all phones.

Lots of people just don't care.

Cool story. Only problem, of course, is the facts.

iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS are the #1 and #2 selling handsets.

Not big on business sense, are you? Apple doesn't "let old models slip down on pricing" because they don't have to. Do you think other companies reduce prices on their phones out of the goodness of their heart? They lower the prices because nobody wants them.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

I don't know where you get your prices from, but when you look on Amazon.de or even eBay, you'll quickly find that the iPhone 4 is twice as expensive as the comparable Samsung Galaxy SI9000 or Samsung Nexus S and it is still more than 200 Euros more expensive than the LG Optimus Speed - which already has superior technical specifications, e.g. a dual core CPU.

So, no. The iPhone does cost more than other smart phones and no, it certainly is NOT the best anymore. Maybe it's the one that you like best, but that only has something to do with personal preferences. From a pure technological aspect, the competition is giving Apple a run for their money - and there are already more Android-based phones being sold than iPhones. So obviously, the competition is also doing something right and the customers are discovering that other mothers also have beautiful daughters.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Ah yes, the old America-is-cheaper-than-the-world problem. You are right, the iPhone *can* cost more in some markets. I was talking about the American market.

And yes, more Android phones are sold than iPhones as long as you lump all the Android phones into one big bucket, including all those Asian knockoffs that are Android in name only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.