Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple having pushed out a new update to the Mac OS X Lion developer preview program, those with access to the new build have been looking for changes in an attempt to see what Apple has been working on over the past few weeks.

One minor point that caught our eye is a change in the user interface elements for selecting subpanes within System Preferences. In this latest build, the active subpane is denoted by a sunken, darker button that appears as if it has been pushed, as shown in the Exposé & Spaces preference pane.

162642-lion_subpane_button_new_500.jpg

Current "button" style subpane selector with Exposé active
Earlier builds of Mac OS X Lion had used a sort of slider animation where the active subpane was represented by a lighter colored button that confused many users when simply glancing at the pane without attempting to move the slider and thus having the animation to key on.

162642-lion_subpane_slider_old_500.jpg

Earlier "slider" style subpane selector with Spaces active
In the face of that criticism, Apple appears to have rethought its mechanism for switching between subpanes and reverted back to a button style that appears more intuitive.

A similar change has been made in iCal, where an earlier slider-style navigator was rolled out to select among day/week/month/year views but has now been replaced by more traditional button-style selectors.

163551-lion_ical_button_style_selector.jpg

iCal selector buttons in latest Mac OS X Lion build

Article Link: Apple Tweaks Mac OS X Lion UI In Response to Criticism

Last edited by a moderator:

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Great news. Now if only they'd kept Rosetta, I'd upgrade happily. As it is... I'm going to have to stay stuck in Snow Leopard.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Bummer, I really liked the iOS-style scrollbars. My favorite thing about Lion is the inverted scrolling. It feels more natural on a touchpad once you get used to it.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Bummer, I really liked the iOS-style scrollbars. My favorite thing about Lion is the inverted scrolling. It feels more natural on a touchpad once you get used to it.

I agree. I am using scroll reverser on Snow Leopard right now and enjoy it a lot. After about a day or two it becomes more natural.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
I noticed most of the criticism stems from the changes in iCal and Address Book which are both disgusting. Sadly they havent changed yet

Burgess07

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Watertown, WI
1. Dang, I liked the sliders. Wish Apple would set an option in the system preferences to enable/disable them.
2. Scrollbars still disappear for me.

Thinine

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Finally, Apple has made a significant change to one of the first user interface changes observed way back in October when Apple first demoed Mac OS X Lion: iOS-style scrollbars. Initial builds of Mac OS X Lion had featured scrollbars that overlaid the window's comments, appearing only when necessary and then disappearing after a brief period of time.

Apple has done away with that concept, returning to fixed scrollbars along the right side of each window, although they do retain the dark iOS-like appearance. The refined scrollbars are present at all times and do not disappear after use.

No they haven't. Fading is now a user preference. You can have them fade automatically, stay all the time, or fade according to your input device.

wrathofgod

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Preferred the iOS style scroll bars. Having the thin bar inside the right side gutter looks very odd.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Great news. Glad to see Apple taking a leaf out of their own guidelines... A touch OS has a different interface for a reason.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Wow, if they don't get those changes implemented immediately Lion is going to be the Mac's Vista!!1! :p

What are you talking about? The screenshots shown here are from the latest developer release of the software, meaning that anything you see is already implemented in code and being used by registered Mac OS developers the world over.

helix21

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I much preferred the older builds.

iOS scrollbar's and the reversed scrolling was one of my favourite little things about Lion.

Slider was much better too than boring buttons.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Actually scrollbars look and behave exactly the same as they did before.

Whether they automatically hide or not is a preference, it has been since the first DP:

b0Qlw.png

Same with reverse scrolling. Nothing at all has changed about scrolling or scrollbars.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
rorschach: Thanks for the info! Good to hear that the lack of iOS-style scroll bars was a misreport. :)

I liked the lighter background color in the preferences more. :(
Especially since it didn't have to reverse the selected text color to white...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.