Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Speaking of bad iCal, why is it I can't flip pages in the Calendar app on my iPad by actually flicking the pages (a la iBooks)? Instead I have to tap on arrow buttons? What's up with that???

I thought it was only me that was annoyed by that one! I'm surprised they've not addressed it yet, and it's incredibly unintuitive to have to tap a little button at the bottom of the page instead of flipping the page like you do in iBooks

linked.account

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
Black white icons

Please also replace those crappy black white icons with colored ones.What is wrong with colors? Is lion color-alergic??

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Well, that's a good thing. I am glad that they are listening to what the customers want. I was beginning to think that the old maxim of "the customer is always right" had died.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The interface is still a mess, a giant step back in terms of usability and appearance IMO. Still very difficult to tell what buttons or tabs are active and what is not. For example in "System Preferences" the "Show All" button looks grayed out. The decolorization of the finder is pretty bad too (as was the de-coloration of iTunes before). I likes to be able to quickly reference icons visually by color.

I REALLY don't like the direction Apple is taking things.

DJRVDIO

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
It's looking more like my previous claim is right

A iMac with a touchscreen as i first stated in the post of the change in imac shippings being halted. with proof of actually touching a possible prototype earlier this year.:D 2 points.:apple:

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So will ipad3 or ipad4 will be running MAC OS X??

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I heard microsoft is making some changes to its next OS release too. Apparently the blue screen of death will be a black screen of death in Windows 8.

btw- does anyone know why the current version is named Windows 7? Why 7?

As for Lion, I am looking forward to having the ability to switch to an iOS appearance for apps. It will be nice to organize then like that. The idea has grown on me.

To stay ahead of the 6 in 10.6. When the XBOX 2 was released, the rumor was that it was called the 360, as to put it on equal naming as the Playstation 3. Microsoft did not want to be '2' and them '3', so they added a number that started with 3.

Haol

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
I can't believe there are over 60 comments actually commenting the post !

I mean, sure. Cool that Apple listens, and nice to see they are looking into the look and feel. But hey, can't imagine a more minor change :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
major kernel version

1,2: 1.0 and 2.0
3: 3.0, WfW3.11, NT 3.51
4: 95, 98, NT4
5: 2000, XP
6: Vista
7: Windows 7 (but really 6.1):confused:

So the answer is, "marketing"

You're mixing up your kernels. NT 4.0 doesn't share a kernel with 95/98, NT 3.51 doesn't share a kernel with Windows 3.x...

Windows 7 is Windows 7 because it's the 7th release of Windows NT.

1- Windows NT 3.1
2- Windows NT 3.5
3- Windows NT 4.0
4- Windows 2000
5- Windows XP
6- Windows Vista
7- Windows 7

That's the only way it makes sense.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I don't like this. Apple, give us an option to choose the iOS slider buttons!

Or I will throw all my apple products out the window. :eek::mad::apple:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Sensible defaults. Usability before looks. The iOS scrollbars might look better but they remove usability. Same with the slider, it's not as intuitive.

Apple should not break intuitiveness and usability just to change some esthetics, especially if this is just change for the same of change.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
To stay ahead of the 6 in 10.6. When the XBOX 2 was released, the rumor was that it was called the 360, as to put it on equal naming as the Playstation 3. Microsoft did not want to be '2' and them '3', so they added a number that started with 3.

And at the time the Wii was known as the Revolution, which is 360 degrees. So they tackled the PS3 with the 3, and the "Revolution" with 360. Kind of funny.

Anyways, I really hope they bring back the sliders. They are/were one of my favorite parts of Lion! It was funny to press a button while holding shift to see it move very slllllooooowwwwllly!

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
You're mixing up your kernels. NT 4.0 doesn't share a kernel with 95/98, NT 3.51 doesn't share a kernel with Windows 3.x...

Windows 7 is Windows 7 because it's the 7th release of Windows NT.

1- Windows NT 3.1
2- Windows NT 3.5
3- Windows NT 4.0
4- Windows 2000
5- Windows XP
6- Windows Vista
7- Windows 7

That's the only way it makes sense.

No, smitty was correct. MS uses version numbers that identify it's code. It's how software devs can write code that decides whether the app should be allowed to install.

In a command prompt, use winver. Note the version listed
EG, Windows 95, NT 4, 98, and ME are all considered Windows 4.x. 2000 and XP are both 5.x, Vista and Windows 7 are 6.x. So it's clear 7 is nothing more than marketing.

From the horses mouth: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/archive/b/windowsvista/archive/2008/10/14/why-7.aspx

Last edited:

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Sensible defaults. Usability before looks. The iOS scrollbars might look better but they remove usability. Same with the slider, it's not as intuitive.

Apple should not break intuitiveness and usability just to change some esthetics, especially if this is just change for the same of change.

I agree with you completely, but still a part of me always remembers that people don't necessarily like change thrust upon them. Sometimes change is for the better, but the effect is not immediate. I only say this because I have changed the scollbars on Snow Leopard to Lion-like ones as well as using the scroll reverser app, and I have found I prefer these changes and I really like the idea of the bars vanishing when not active.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Preferred the iOS style scroll bars. Having the thin bar inside the right side gutter looks very odd.

I agree Somehow I don't think it'll look like that in the final version, as the gutter appearance is clearly designed for the older aqua scrollbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.