Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:37 AM   #51
baryon
macrumors 68030

Sounds good, but I don't want this to replace bookmarks. I have over 100 bookmarks for very important stuff, and without them I would be lost.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:40 AM   #52
bushido
macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

ok pointless to me. i either read sth right away or it cant be that important ^^
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:51 AM   #53
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSpeed1 View Post
I believe they should put their energy else where.
They do. Apple doesn't only have one employee you know.. And furthermore, if you pay Apple enough money, they will probably hire some extra employees to make an OS just for you, with none of the functions that you don't like.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:16 AM   #54
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheistpaladin View Post

For example, clicking anywhere on the location bar should highlight the whole address like in Chrome rather than give you a single character edit cursor since 90% of the time I am not modifying the URL.

*rant*
I actually like the way it is now, clicking on the little web-icon selects the whole url, while clicking in the url allows you to modify it. Perfect for me… I'd like to see a different download list window.
Ow and the bug when closing tabs using the mouse. The little cross is too damn hard to hit due to the small cross, and once missed it doesn't let me close it unless my cursor hoovers away for a while…
RoelJuun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:00 AM   #55
angrynstupid
macrumors regular

coo'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Or just open 100 tabs in Safari like I do.
For some reason I despise tabs (a feature I turn off in Safari). Reading list sounds like a better feature.
angrynstupid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:10 AM   #56
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with a bookmark folder named "Reading List"?

Cmd+D to bookmark, walk through "Reading List" when you have time to spare, delete each entry when done.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:13 AM   #57

Does it save the page to be able to read it later offline?

If yes, that could be cool.

Spid
217833 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:26 AM   #58
wizard
macrumors 68040

Has no one here heard of *.webarchive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
Does it save the page to be able to read it later offline?

If yes, that could be cool.

Spid
We have been able to do that for years now by saving as a *.webarchive so there is nothing special here. Maybe it will be a feature expanded to support the cloud but even then it really isn't a big deal.
wizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:33 AM   #59
ufkdo
macrumors 6502

I would switch back to Safari if they make it more stable. And, of course, this feature would be awesome.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:35 AM   #60
RebeccaL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky jeremy View Post
RIP Instapaper & Read It Later.
LOL.

Safari has about 6% of the browser market share, while RiL and Instapaper work on every browser in any platform. This feature will barely make a dent on RiL/Instapaper usage.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:12 AM   #61
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
What's wrong with a bookmark folder named "Reading List"?

Cmd+D to bookmark, walk through "Reading List" when you have time to spare, delete each entry when done.
Good idea. That'swhat I do: I have a top folder for temporary site bookmarks that I don't have time to view right away, but want to go back to later and either delete or save in a different subfolder.

Also, as others have mentioned, you learn to locally save the pages that are important to you, because they can easily disappear for all sorts of reasons.

For instance, I've saved off news articles, recipes and programming tip pages, because some of my earlier bookmarks like that have gone to the great bitbucket in the sky
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:19 AM   #62
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Might be a nice addition.
Other additions woul be save User/Pass like Firefox and better "Firebug" to inspect elements.
Safari has best / easiest layout.
BJMRamage is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 09:22 AM   #63
Full of Win
Banned

I do not see how this beats my "read later" folder in Safari. When I want to look at something later, I drag the link to the folder in the menu bar, And with Mobile Me syncing, I can get it on my iPhone nad iPad within 30 seconds.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:05 AM   #64
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheistpaladin View Post
I
For example, clicking anywhere on the location bar should highlight the whole address like in Chrome rather than give you a single character edit cursor since 90% of the time I am not modifying the URL. The add new tab and security info buttons feel like they are put in the weirdest place; closing a tab with your mouse feels slower because you have to stop on the tab for the hidden close tab button to appear.

*rant*
You do realize there are keyboard shortcuts for many of those actions.

Command + L - Select location bar
Command + T - Open new tab
Command + W - Close tab
Command + Option + ( [ or ] ) - Move backward of forward among your tabs

Why all the clicking? You are already doing things in a slow manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaL View Post
LOL.

Safari has about 6% of the browser market share, while RiL and Instapaper work on every browser in any platform. This feature will barely make a dent on RiL/Instapaper usage.
I doubt Apple is that daft. This will probably be a Framework made available so that Firefox or any other browser can utilize.

That said, I agree that other services won't be going anywhere.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:14 AM   #65
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

I am sure Marco won't be very happy with this.

For once, he will consider going webOS and android.

I love Instapaper. I mean, I simply love it. I love Safari on OS X. So maybe this is going to complete it for me.

But Instapaper has got a LOT of functionality with a ton of apps through its API's.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:41 AM   #66
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmaShine View Post
I am sure Marco won't be very happy with this.
He's already said it's not an issue.

Quote:
For once, he will consider going webOS and android.
Developing on Android is a joke. Maybe when it doesn't suck so bad, he'll consider it.
Matthew Yohe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:56 AM   #67
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post
He's already said it's not an issue.
1. It is a issue.
2. Not a big one though.

But where did he say that? When? :|

Quote:
Developing on Android is a joke. Maybe when it doesn't suck so bad, he'll consider it.
That wasn't my point at all. I know its a joke. A big one.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:44 AM   #68
JGowan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
Sounds good, but I don't want this to replace bookmarks. I have over 100 bookmarks for very important stuff, and without them I would be lost.
It sounds like your afraid that Apple would add a feature that would remove all your bookmarks// why would they do this? WHY? Espcecially if it was something you couldn't opt out on and just happen. Apple never would do this so you needn't fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
ok pointless to me. i either read sth right away or it cant be that important
I don't think you understand the potential. Instapaper is great and here is an example: Train commuters is a big one. They know there will be 1 hour on the train each way that they don't have wi-fi so, as they find articles that are important to them and perhaps will want to keep indefinitely, they add it to their list. It's been stripped of all ads and is just the story, although pictures are still included. You go to each device you own that you want access to when you won't have wi-fi and refresh them so they get all the articles and when the time comes, you have all your articles even without service. Later, you can organize them into folders or delete them... whatever. The interface is very clean and you can change font size/type. Read black on white or white on black (night reading). You have the article. As someone said, a link is not always the answer as stories can be taken down and websites go away all the time. With a service like this, you have the story on your devices.

However, I wish that Instapaper had an App for the Mac for offline reading. I contacted Marco and he said he had no plans of building one. Not sure why as it seems a no brainer.

Last edited by JGowan; Apr 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM.
JGowan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:18 PM   #69
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deflorator View Post
I am afraid it's not a beachball, it's the "Choose a Vista" circle...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26p4x6IttIQ
They should make a "Choose an iPad2" circle... The pieces would obviously have to be smaller considering there are 18 product sku's for the iPad2, but other than that, it could be just as fun to play.
blahblah100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:27 PM   #70
louis Fashion
macrumors 6502a

I like it and I like the integration.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:29 PM   #71
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post
That would really suck for Marco if it's a robust solution and integrated into Safari and syncs with iCloud. (Which mean MS and Google will do it too.)

Choice and competition is good for us as consumers. I just think Marco is a rock star and adds a lot to the community, so I hope he can compete. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll come up with some cool and new. (It's just hard when a company like Apple kicks a leg out of your income stream.)
Wait, are you suggesting that it's okay for Apple to take the idea, but not Google or Microsoft?
blahblah100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:53 PM   #72
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsmurf View Post
I wish Apple would just do their own innovation instead of copying others.
Yeah, there's absolutely nothing innovative at all about any of Apple's products.

iPod? iPhone? iPad? Nothing but lame, blatant copies of all the insanely great MP3 players, smartphones and tablets that came before them.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:08 PM   #73
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
1. It is a issue.
2. Not a big one though.

But where did he say that? When? :|

http://www.marco.org/2011/04/30/lion...i-reading-list
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:14 PM   #74
bdegrande
macrumors newbie

Won't change anything for me. I use Read It Later, which works well with FIrefox, with Mobile Safari on iOS, and with Dolphin HD on Android, and you can save pages and read them on any platform.
bdegrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 01:45 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
We have been able to do that for years now by saving as a *.webarchive so there is nothing special here. Maybe it will be a feature expanded to support the cloud but even then it really isn't a big deal.
I mean, in Safari, just one click (or shortcut) and it will add the link on Reading List, download the page in background and save it to allow you to just go in your reading list later and offline, just click again on the link in the list and read it.

Even better if they do use this caching with the cloud to sync between devices.

How many times I don't have time to read some stuff on the computer... and finally when I get some time (waiting for catching a plane, traveling, etc), it's when I don't have my computer or don't have network (roaming is a real pain with the iPhone)

I know there's some solutions, but a seamless integration in Safari would make it very practical.

Spid
217833 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion