Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ballington

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Hi,

Is it possible to have 2 instances of Itunes with one User?

I am a music producer/composer and am frequently given reference music to work with. Additionally, I often go through several revisions of the tracks I work on. I would like to have two versions of itunes I could open...one with my music collection, and another one with all of my work related tracks in it.

Thanks!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
If you hold the alt/option key down while launching itunes it will give you an option to choose which itunes library to open or to create a new one. So yes, you can have multiple itunes libraries.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
can you run both libraries at the same time?
I don't think this is possible, because both instances would share a common preferences file. You certainly can open as many instances of a program as you'd like (via the Terminal and a little trickery) but don't expect things to work smoothly.

Nero Wolfe

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For those of you wanting to do this, here is an App that I use to help with managing multiple libraries:

iTunes Library Manager

If you want to *listen* to one library while working on another, I'd suggest getting something like SongBird and linking it to one library while having the other open in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.