Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
As a beta tester, this works pretty nicely for what it's trying to be. It's not trying to be a computer as much as it's trying to be an internet device. For example, my aunt is old and used PocketMail for email until last year, now she goes to the library to send email and look stuff up. This is something I'm going to get her for her birthday, because it's exactly what she needs. She's not going to game or edit video.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Useless if it needs constant connection to Internet to use. Sounds like a beta product that somehow is making it to the production line. I don't see how a regular netbook in the same price range can't trump it. The instant-on thing being toted is ridiculous. It makes it sound like it's the only product out there that can do it.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
As a beta tester, this works pretty nicely for what it's trying to be. It's not trying to be a computer as much as it's trying to be an internet device. For example, my aunt is old and used PocketMail for email until last year, now she goes to the library to send email and look stuff up. This is something I'm going to get her for her birthday, because it's exactly what she needs. She's not going to game or edit video.

Agree. I will also get this for relatives who don't want to shell out $600 for mac mini and I don't want to give them a windows pc. Even though it's limited, it's not a limit for majority of average users.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Useless if it needs constant connection to Internet to use. Sounds like a beta product that somehow is making it to the production line. I don't see how a regular netbook in the same price range can't trump it. The instant-on thing being toted is ridiculous. It makes it sound like it's the only product out there that can do it.

offline gmail, google docs, google calendar coming. so no constant internet connection is required.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Can we say FAIL?

No, we can't! I tested the CR48 and it was great for what it was, a secondary laptop! Most people who would buy this would because

1) They want a small cheap netbook.
2) They don't do anything but be on the internet.
3) They want something like the iPad, but with a physical keyboard. (I know I prefer physical keyboards)

Just because it isn't suited to your needs/wants doesn't make it a fail!

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Show me one for $249 or less and I'll think about it.

Why would I spend $300-$500 on this when I can get a Netbook and have a "web OS" experience on it for $249?

For $500 I would recommend an iPad 2 over a Chromebook.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
I find it amusing that suddenly everyone starts talking about preferring to buy a low $ netbook instead of the Chrome laptop (in spec terms that is) while they obviously don't have the same function.

Reminds me of those people that said that they'd prefer a netbook over an iPad…

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

Although it seems overpriced and under-capable on the surface, it's interesting to see you suggesting this. If I could be bothered, I'd dig up some posts from when the iPad was introduced. I remember a large population on this forum suggesting similar :rolleyes:

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
putting everything aside, Google has the benefit of controlling the hardware their laptops use, thus making it possible to take better advantage of them... no?

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
You can get a Windows netbook, and install Chrome for free on it.

And you have something far more capable than Chromebook....

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
No, we can't! I tested the CR48 and it was great for what it was, a secondary laptop! Most people who would buy this would because

1) They want a small cheap netbook.
2) They don't do anything but be on the internet.
3) They want something like the iPad, but with a physical keyboard. (I know I prefer physical keyboards)

Just because it isn't suited to your needs/wants doesn't make it a fail!

But how is this any different from a Windows netbook, with the Chrome browser installed on it? Am I missing something? And those netbooks can be bought for well below $400, being as price competitive, and more capable.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Get ready for a lawsuit, Google...

...when buyers discover their computers don't do jack without a web connection! This is going to be hilarious.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
As a beta tester, these suck

I can buy a real laptop or tablet for $500 that doesn't need Internet access to work

First of all, as a beta tester you got one for free. So what are you complaining about?
And secondly, there is a reason why its called BETA. Is it really hard to understand the definition of word BETA?

ChrisSD

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
San Diego
I actually think these will be a great option as a secondary notebook for college. I've always wanted a small option for a notebook that was cheaper than a Macbook Air. I also love that these are centered around cloud storage, which makes me feel like my work will be safer. I'll likely be getting one of these exclusively for college. It is a pretty niche product though I must say. About them not doing anything with web connection, the videos clearly state that apps will allow you to work on things in apps offline, and they'll sync to the cloud the next time you're connected.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I have the CR-48 and I can tell you that ChromeOS is very underwhelming. You want the Chrome OS experience? Turn your laptop on, open up Chrome, maximize the window, and close everything else. But don't save anything to your harddrive, you can't do that. That's exactly what it feels like. It's great for browsing the internet, but sucks for doing anything else. The only thing really going for it is the quick on/off and battery life. It needs some form of basic storage to really gain mass appeal.

At the very most, it should be $250 and below. Anymore than that and you'll feel ripped off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.