Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celo48

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
No, we can't! I tested the CR48 and it was great for what it was, a secondary laptop! Most people who would buy this would because

1) They want a small cheap netbook.
2) They don't do anything but be on the internet.
3) They want something like the iPad, but with a physical keyboard. (I know I prefer physical keyboards)

Just because it isn't suited to your needs/wants doesn't make it a fail!

I guess time will show.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Google no doubt wants to avoid spreading too much anti-Android FUD at Google I/O. But really, Google has already said that Chrome OS is the future, and that Android is just an interim step.

Vic Gundotra himself said that the web will “become the platform that matters.” Way back when Chrome OS was first introduced.

Here's an old Wired piece with that quote: http://bit.ly/h5NHc

And their security model - this is rich:

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12691-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=71841&messageID=1388017

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
No, we can't! I tested the CR48 and it was great for what it was, a secondary laptop! Most people who would buy this would because

1) They want a small cheap netbook.
2) They don't do anything but be on the internet.
3) They want something like the iPad, but with a physical keyboard. (I know I prefer physical keyboards)

Just because it isn't suited to your needs/wants doesn't make it a fail!

Ah, but if customers knew what they were giving into - apart from the upfront cost of the machine...

Again, the URL of the year goes to: http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12691-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=71841&messageID=1388017

(People should be using their IP for themselves. Not to hand over free copies for Google to make more use of, and like others on the net have said, do you or I have more clout than the cloud provider - particularly one as large as Google? )

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
LOL

Its $28 per user, per month

NOT

$28 per machine, per month

So if a school only wants 50 computers to serve 250 students at educational pricing of $20 per user, per month that is 250*20 = $5,000 per month or $60,000 per year or $180,000 for the 3 year contract.

Now, to buy 50 iMacs at $1,149.00 that is $57,450 or about 1/3 the cost.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
But how is this any different from a Windows netbook, with the Chrome browser installed on it? Am I missing something? And those netbooks can be bought for well below $400, being as price competitive, and more capable.

Because of the instant on and no concerns of malware.

Suspended
Jun 11, 2010
Wow googlos looks ****, linux dicks over this sort of OS anyday
And comparing it to a mac, well is it really worth mentioning

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Also something else is that this is better than Windows with Chrome installed is because 7 uses to many resources so anything with 2GB RAM or less crawls. Since these two laptops have 2GB RAM and SSD according to Amazon this laptop will not crawl.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
LOL

Its $28 per user, per month

NOT

$28 per machine, per month

So if a school only wants 50 computers to serve 250 students at educational pricing of $20 per user, per month that is 250*20 = $5,000 per month or $60,000 per year or $180,000 for the 3 year contract.

Now, to buy 50 iMacs at $1,149.00 that is $57,450 or about 1/3 the cost.

That's not how it will work.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I'm astounded by the level of negativity in this thread. Okay, well, maybe its to be expected here.

You all need to watch the keynote if you haven't.
http://youtu.be/MiYND_zvIc0

I'm extremely excited for the future of this OS. The benefits to the Enterprise and schools are phenomenal.

Not to mention. It's a web developers dream come true.

It's not a computer. It's not a laptop. It's the web. I love it.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Anyway don't see the advantage here to a Chrome netbook. It's not a laptop no matter how they spin it. IT's a netbook.

And with i3 sandy bridge laptops hitting $500 or so I don't see Chrome netbook selling point.

You can always do the "Chrome" thing on a regular laptop. And yet have the power to do other tasks. Not have to upload everything to the net every second etc.

Google's achille's heel is they have web on the brain. Let's put it on the web even if it isn't the best way to do something.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
It's a really cool idea, but I didn't expect them to be anywhere near that expensive.

"It's pretty interesting," said Michael Gartenberg, an analyst with Gartner. "But at these prices, will consumers buy it? At $499, that gets you a pretty capable Netbook or even an iPad."

The initial Chromebooks are priced similarly to other Netbooks with more functionality, as well as to tablet PCs. But Google's Pichai defended the pricing, saying during the press conference that it's fair, considering the quality components that are in these initial models.

"A good display and processor will cost you about $150 per device," he said during the Q&A with reporters. "And then you have the good trackpads and other quality components. These aren't meant to be cheap computers. They're meant to offer a great experience."

Google co-founder Sergey Brin chimed in during the press conference with his own thoughts on pricing. He took an informal poll by a show of hands among journalists in the audience to see how many people were using laptops that cost less than $500. Only one person raised her hand, while the majority said their laptops cost more than $800 or $1,000.

"The One Laptop per Child initiative has been super successful," he said. "It may not have been exactly what (Nicholas) Negroponte had hoped for. But it has driven components down in price. So Chromebooks may not be $100, but they're pretty cheap."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20061956-266.html#ixzz1M5uwEOES

That is why they cost they way they do.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just bought a Dell "mini" for $279 at Fry's. I scrubbed Windows 7 off the disk and installed Linux (Ubuntu) and on top of that Chrome. Now For less money than a "chrome book" I have the chrome browser and a "real OS" that works off line too and I can run Open Office and several of my Electronics design and simulation programs as well as a full software development suite and even Skpe. And about 6 hours real world batry life.

My Linux netbook is cheaper and better than one of these Google Chrome books

Windows 7 on the same netbook is dead slow and can not even show youtube vidoes without stuttering. Ubuntu runs well.

I like the macbooks better but I wanted a notebook I can take places I might loose or damage it and I don't worry to much about $279.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Am I asinine to think that Chromebooks should be $200-300 at most?

I also think that the US infrastructure is just not there yet for 'the cloud', I mean 5 mbps is the average speed in US. But I think with Google's help it will be. Keep this is in mind as well, Google is launching their own fiber optic network with 1 gigabit speeds so that the US will finally be up to speed with the rest of the world. This network is hoped by Google to have its debut in 2012. Over 1,100 cities lobbied for the beta launch of it earlier this year and during late March, Google selected Kansas City, Kansas to be the first to experience it. Also when Google fully launches the service, as they have done with so many other services, they said that their prices would be cheaper and competitive to other ISPs today. This would also pressure other ISPs to remain competitive and improve their network speeds to match Google's.

Frankly, I'm scared that Google might be handling a bevy of my data soon enough, but for 1 gigabit speeds at an affordable rate, I'll be damned to not sign up the first day it is released in my local area. But I think ChromeOS ties in nicely with Google's plans either way.

Link if anyone else was interested in it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/technology/internet/31broadband.html

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
It's a freaking web browser.
It's amazing what a little bit of marketing can do.

*fixed that for you

Watch the keynote, friend. No web browser does what Chrome OS is offering. Not without a bevy of 3rd party plugins, anyway.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
This is just running Chrome OS, right? As in the same Chrome OS that can be downloaded for x86 netbooks ... right now? Hmmm..... My $250 10v will be trying this out to see how it floats...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.