Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Streem

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
And now with new front and new back.....

Like new.... with SSD :)

Attachments

• foto 1.JPG
    foto 1.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 547
  • foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 617

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
GOBMarlow:
Super Talent FZM28GF18H will work :)

My drive specs:
Specification
Mfr Part Number: FZM28GF18H
Capacity: 128 GB
Form Factor: 1.8 inch
Interface: 40-pin PATA ZIF
NAND Flash: MLC

Plays 39,5 hours music with full audio volume... the battery is a brand new.

Nice:D I wish I could do that without destroying my iPod :p
Battery life should greatly improve if you switch songs frequently (I do and it kills the battery much faster)

GOBMarlow

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Gorgeous!

Streem, that came out really nice.

I'm waiting for the SSD to come in so I can complete this ipod built from parts.

5664990298_3d3da138c8.jpg

Tried it the other night with this to test it, and it worked great

5664987794_3e4d466987.jpg

5664993044_d4cac8d59d.jpg

Can't wait for the real deal.

The RunCore speeds looked faster, but I decided I probably wouldn't notice the difference and went with the one you showed worked.

GOBMarlow

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
The drive is in and has been for days

works like a charm... Still trying to find a good case... Want to get one made out of the smooth, clear, flexible, hard rubber...

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 459

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
works like a charm... Still trying to find a good case... Want to get one made out of the smooth, clear, flexible, hard rubber...

That is a thing of beauty, I'm definitely jealous.

My question is..does the classic continue to lag for those of you that have installed the SSD? please don't lie. I was just curious how much of a role the hard drive has in making the classic's click wheel unresponsive and laggy.

I've always thought it was a buffer limitation or a click wheel manufacturer swap.

thirumalkumaran

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
How about 5.5G Ipod 30GB?

Hi guys,
How about this mod on a 5.5G ipod 30GB?
Does it fit?
What model of SSD should I opt for?
I'm from India nd Visit UK frequently.
Any sources from these 2 places would be great....

Thanks..

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Well there was no lag. It ran fast and long... While it ran :(

I wanted to test battery life. It ran for about 38 hours on full volume. Now it's a brick. I can't get it to turn on. When I woke up the battery was dead after playing for nearly two days. I plugged it in to my iPhone charger and the grey screen with the white apple came on. I assumed that meant it was getting power and would charge. When I picked it up tonight expected that it would at least come on, but nothing. I tried resetting. I tried charging via fire wire and then resetting. I haven't gotten so much as a Pixel of light.

Any ideas?

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
I let it charge on my wall charger from my 3rd gen last night. I hit the menu button this AM and let there be light. Thought I had it licked. When I unplugged it, it continued to run and showed a full battery. Took a shower and picked it back up and thought it was odd that when I tried to fire it back up I got the grey screen with the white apple again. It never made it to the menu. Put it back on the wall charger and it immediately came to life. Trying to restore it right now.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I let it charge on my wall charger from my 3rd gen last night. I hit the menu button this AM and let there be light. Thought I had it licked. When I unplugged it, it continued to run and showed a full battery. Took a shower and picked it back up and thought it was odd that when I tried to fire it back up I got the grey screen with the white apple again. It never made it to the menu. Put it back on the wall charger and it immediately came to life. Trying to restore it right now.

Any luck getting it to work?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

So is it working now?

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
It SEEMS to be working again now. I will say that I will NOT let it run all the way down again. Seems if you do, you should plan on restoring it.

After restoring twice, it started working again.

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
This is as cheap as i've seen this drive, and if you enter THREEPOINTER in the coupon code it's less than $200

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
It SEEMS to be working again now. I will say that I will NOT let it run all the way down again. Seems if you do, you should plan on restoring it.

After restoring twice, it started working again.

I had similar issues with the Ipod Mini CompactFlash mod (with a A-DATA 32GB drive), it seemed to corrupt if it wasn't used after awhile and it did bite the dust a few months later, I can't get it to do squat now.

I hope you don't have any problems with it man that'd suck to spend all that money only to have it not work correctly.

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Guys, this seems like a battery issue, or maybe a battery monitor situation?

Today it showed about an 80% charge and turned itself off in the middle of a song. As soon as I plugged it into my car charger it rebooted (grey screen with white apple). This is the seond time it has done this....

What can I do? I thought about the old steps that suggested I should let it run all the way out and then recharge it to full a couple times, but the last time I let it run all the way down I had a hell of a time getting it to come back on...

Suggestions?

Those of you have also done this mod - any problems?

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I just did this mod last week using the SuperTalent SSD but a 64gb. I have a 6th gen Classic that has a new battery as well. (The battery was changed out about 6 months ago.)

So far I haven't had any problems. I can't say that I let it play out til the battery drained though. But so far so good.

A strange thing did happen though: I had played about 40 songs in the car in random song mode. Ran a reboot test against a 7th gen. (It destroyed the 7th gen in terms of boot speed btw). When I plugged into the car again the 1st song was the same as before the reboot, then the 2nd was the same. I went thru the next 30+tracks and I would swear it was the exact same songs in the same random order. There were several standouts the first time so hearing them again was baffling to say the least. A third reboot and now it's playing a different set of tracks.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I want to do this mod bad! But I can't afford the SSD and I am having a hard time prying off the face of my iPod 5th Gen with the pry tool... it works for the top and bottom but the sides don't seem to budge.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I had similar issues with the Ipod Mini CompactFlash mod (with a A-DATA 32GB drive), it seemed to corrupt if it wasn't used after awhile and it did bite the dust a few months later, I can't get it to do squat now.

I hope you don't have any problems with it man that'd suck to spend all that money only to have it not work correctly.

Could it just be the CF card itself? A-DATA isn't a huge company by any means... could have made a crap card.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Could it just be the CF card itself? A-DATA isn't a huge company by any means... could have made a crap card.

Actually I managed to get it restored again and it played about 80 songs before it froze, so I rebooted it and it gave me the folder icon and iTunes claims its corrupted.

schmoofdie

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Hey Guys,

I did absolutly no research into doing this but just searched out of curiosity after completing my mod to see if indeed others had done the same.

I hope this help anyone considering the mod.

I used a 5th Gen iPod Video 80Gb (Black) and a Samsung 64Gb SSD taken from a original MacBook Air. I didn't even stop to think if it would work just did it. The only thing it asked me to do after completing the mod was to restore the iPod in iTunes.

Due to the size of the 64Gb SSD there was actually quite a bit of spare space inside the 80Gb iPod which had to be filled with packing. Im pretty certain that the 64Gb would fit nicely inside a 30Gb iPod Video with ease.

If your considering doing this mod I think you will find that you can pick up MacBook Air SSD for a pretty penny on eBay. Alternatively if a manufacture states that the drive will work with a MacBook Air I think you'll be fine to put it into any iPod from the 5th Gen to the current model.

Good Luck to all and Happy Modding

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
i wish i knew about this before i swapped the hard drive in my 30gb 5th gen ipod video. i replaced the 30gb drive with a later model 120gb HDD. if i knew that i could have put a 128gb air sdd drive in it, i would have held out and searched for one of those. :( oh well. if the drive ever goes out again, i know which one is going in next.

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
That is a thing of beauty, I'm definitely jealous.

My question is..does the classic continue to lag for those of you that have installed the SSD? please don't lie. I was just curious how much of a role the hard drive has in making the classic's click wheel unresponsive and laggy.

I've always thought it was a buffer limitation or a click wheel manufacturer swap.

It has been a little laggy. Must be the logic board...

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
where is a good place to get a replacement logic board? does anyone have experience with the ones sold on ebay? (i want a 6th or 7th gen board)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.