Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tio_pepe_madrid.jpg

Spanish newspaper El Pais reports [Google translation] that the mayor of Madrid has announced that Apple will occupy the entirety of a landmark building in the center of the city on the Puerta del Sol, snapping up 6,000 square meters (~65,000 square feet) of space. The building, famous for its large neon sign advertising popular sherry brand Tio Pepe that has temporarily been removed for restoration during the building's renovation, includes seven floors plus a basement and was built in 1863.

Apple's interest in the building is not new, but previous reports had suggested that Apple would occupy only the lower one or two floors with earlier hotel uses being maintained on the upper floors. Today's announcement reveals, however, that Apple, the building's owners, and the city have come together to forge an agreement that will see Apple taking the entire space.

It is unlikely that Apple will devote the entire seven floors to retail store space, presumably using some of the upper floors for office space to support the company's operations in the region, so it is currently unknown just how large the retail space will be. Apple's largest stores currently check in at up to around 25,000 square feet. Restoration work on the building is scheduled to wrap up by October or November of this year, with the Apple retail store opening at an unannounced date after that time.

Apple currently operates two retail stores in Spain, with one of them being a typical mall-based store located on the outskirts of Madrid.

Article Link: Apple Planning Huge New Retail Store in the Heart of Madrid?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm surprised how few there are in Europe. Should have them in Vienna, Copenhagen, Brussels, and other huge city centers. Still haven't covered the USA as well. Apple seems a little slow on stores outside the USA/UK

They purchased the property only because it reminded Jobs of Gustav's from Ratatouille.

Last edited:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple has only a handful of retail outlets in major European cities, and each one is usually in a particularly historic and beautiful building, which they go to great lengths to maintain aesthetically. The Paris store, for example, is unlike any of the mall-like stores that you may find in an American suburb. That in itself makes it a big event. Huge store, special location.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Nice looking building

Will Apple put the neon sign back up when the restoration is done? I know the article says it has been temporarily taken down, but things can change.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Cake shop?

That building looks like the one with the cake shop on the left side on the ground and 1st floor?

Can anyone confirm that?

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Or they could keep the hotel rooms.....

and start advertising an iTrip

OH, wait...that would mean using another name some other company is already using. Apple would never do that. :D

inerme

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
Spain
yes apple

grandes cojones

;-)

ps- pardon my bad spanish

:eek:

Tu español está bien, aunque más bien diríamos nosotros, "con dos cojones!"

Y entrando en el tema, me parece una buena noticia si al final deciden abrir dicha tienda en Madrid, aunque nosotros, los valencianos, hubiésemos preferido que se abriera en Valencia, que ya llevamos un par de años con tales rumores pero al final ninguno fragua.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Yes, front page, for a reason. Apple has only a handful of retail outlets in major European cities, and each one is usually in a particularly historic and beautiful building, which they go to great lengths to maintain aesthetically. The Paris store, for example, is unlike any of the mall-like stores that you may find in an American suburb. That in itself makes it a big event. Huge store, special location.

Hmm.

I get that. It's understandable. I just don't understand what MacRumors Page2 is for. :|

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm surprised how few there are in Europe. Should have them in Vienna, Copenhagen, Brussels, and other huge city centers. Still haven't covered the USA as well. Apple seems a little slow on stores outside the USA/UK

They purchased the property only because it reminded Jobs of Gustav's from Ratatouille.

I am even more surprised to see Apple considering the opening of a store in Spain, one of the world champions of unemployment and recession - there are surely many other areas in a number of developed and emerging markets with MUCH higher purchasing power...Spain is not one of them.

p.s.: No offense, I love visiting Madrid - but it was more of a question on the best places for prospective Apple Stores...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.