Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget and Gula Digital report that while Sony is planning on implementing Thunderbolt in their upcoming laptops, the company will be using a USB connector rather than a DisplayPort connector.
Look closely at that picture. See that Type-A USB jack? The one with the blue stripe sandwiched between the round AC jack (with its green light) and VGA and HDMI ports? Yeah, that's Sony's Thunderbolt implementation according to a trusted source.
Engadget seems confident in their source, and Gula Digital's sources are independelty saying the same thing: Sony will use the USB interface, not mini DisplayPort for their Thunderbolt implementation.

As Engadget notes, we're not sure how this will be allowed. Thunderbolt's original implementation did use the USB connector, but the USB Implementors Forum officially frowned on this behavior by stating that "USB connectors are not general purpose connectors and are not designed to be used in support of other technology applications or standards or as combo connectors." It is believed that it is only due to their objection that Apple and Intel decided to use the mini DisplayPort as the Thunderbolt interface.

Separately, we've noticed that Apple has applied for the Thunderbolt trademark in the U.S. It was previously noticed that Apple had applied for the Thunderbolt trademark in Canada as well. This is unusual since Intel's own pages list Thunderbolt as an Intel trademark. Apple similarly trademarked Firewire, but that trademark was adopted as the official name by the 1394 Trade Association and was granted as a free license to all.

Article Link: Is Sony Fragmenting Thunderbolt? Apple, not Intel, Applies for Thunderbolt Trademark

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Honestly I think this is what Apple/Intel should have done. Just replace the existing USB 2.0 ports with Thunderbolt ports then keep the Mini-Display Port connector separate for 1.2 support.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I say Apple more of hte fragmenting problem. Not Sony. Sony is going with a standard already used. We already combined USB with Esata ports. Why put a VERY VERY limited use port on the limited space of laptop when you could just combine it very heavily used port so it is not a waste.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I can finally move on with my day. I was worried about that thunderbolt connector.

haibane-rakka

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
I should probably care about the thunderbolt thing more than I do but the only thing I was thinking when reading this was "Why are we still putting VGA on laptops?"

SlayerX

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Blue Usb

Blue USB is usually a usb 3.0 connector. More than likely its a mislabeled pic.

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
USB connectors suck. You can't tell their direction by looking on them from the side and you always plug them the wrong way first (at least I do).

But in the end there will be $30 adapters and everyone will be happy (not).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I have ever seen a mini displayport on anything other than Apple hardware.
I have seen USB on, well, every PC since 2000. Well done Sony. Stick to common ports.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d favor the USB connector, except:

* USB is needlessly larger, and

* USB is symmetrical on the outside! You can’t tell by feel (or eve a quick glance) which way a USB connector goes in. Thunderbolt, being tapered, is just more usable.

I get USB cables the wrong way around on the first try about 1/3 of the time. Sure, most are labeled, but not all in the same way. And what if the port you connect to is sideways, or on a free cable or brick with no orientation? Nothing beats a connector whose very shape—visible and tactile—only has one way to go.

I don't think I have ever seen a mini displayport on anything other than Apple hardware.
I have seen USB on, well, every PC since 2000. Well done Sony. Stick to common ports.

Thunderbolt is for displays, among other things; in fact, initially it’s the most common use of Thunderbolt. And USB is not common for displays. DisplayPort is more so. (And Apple’s not the only one to use mini DisplayPort. The “original” DisplayPort was needlessly large, and luckily Apple stepped in quickly with a better standard, for use by all. Not everyone uses it—but computing is better when they do: your computers can then all share the same display connector even when they’re too compact for the early large-size connector.)

Blue USB is usually a usb 3.0 connector. More than likely its a mislabeled pic.

Good theory. Makes sense.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Makes more sense this way though. Unplugging your monitor to swap hard drives sounds like a pain. Though this fragmentation sure isn't going to help adoption if true. Now who's going to be stuck with converters ? Apple or Sony ?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I say Apple more of hte fragmenting problem. Not Sony. Sony is going with a standard already used. We already combined USB with Esata ports. Why put a VERY VERY limited use port on the limited space of laptop when you could just combine it very heavily used port so it is not a waste.

So now I have to keep track of which USB ports I'm plugging stuff into? That sounds way more confusing. I really like that I can tell Firewire 400 ports apart from Firewire 800 ports by looking at them.

I think having USB 3 ports look the same as USB 2 ports is terrible enough, now there's gonna be THREE kinds of USB ports out there that all look the same? (Well, 4 kinds, really, if you count USB 1. I'm not counting it since they're rare now, but you totally could count it.)

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
Makes more sense this way though. Unplugging your monitor to swap hard drives sounds like a pain. Though this fragmentation sure isn't going to help adoption if true. Now who's going to be stuck with converters ? Apple or Sony ?

You could just put your devices *behind* your monitor. (Assuming there will be TB monitors soon that support daisy chaining).

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

No Intel and Apple are the ones that created the tech, Sony, as always has to put their own spin on things and is using the USB port in a way that is not recommended by the specification.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is Apple fragmenting Thunderbolt? Apple uses a different connector than Sony.

Well, I'd say no because Apple launched with it first, anyone who then chooses to make it different, are the ones fragmenting it.

But I believe that having a USB connector helps a lot, as you can then plug any USB device into it. I have a Esata port on my laptop and it comes in handy if I want to use it for a USB instead.

USB connectors suck. You can't tell their direction by looking on them from the side and you always plug them the wrong way first (at least I do).

But in the end there will be $30 adapters and everyone will be happy (not).

Have you ever looked into a USB port? Its very clear which way it's meant to go. Incase you didnt look inside, most USB products have the USB symbol on the top side so you know which way to stick it in.

MacBook-Pro-USB-port.jpg

Make sure the gap in the socket lines up with the block in the port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.