Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 21, 2011, 01:33 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Update 'Apple Store' iOS App With Full Build-to-Order Mac Customization Options

It is becoming clear that Apple is planning to roll out a number of changes to its store functionalities this weekend, including both online and brick-and-mortar purchasing platforms. With a number of tips regarding staff meetings set for Sunday morning at the company's retail stores, minor store makeovers, and now online order statuses going offline, Apple certainly seems to be seeking to roll out changes across the board.

While a revamped Apple Store application for iOS devices has been among the rumored rollouts for this weekend, we've now received a few additional details about changes coming to the app. According to sources, the revamped app will debut on Sunday with full support for customizing build-to-order Macs, offering the complete range of options currently available through Apple's website.

Customers are said to be able to customize the full range of processor, memory, hard drive, and other hardware options available for each model, as well as preinstalled software titles. In addition, customers will be able to select add-ons such as AppleCare and printers just as is currently possible through the full online Apple store portals.

The current Apple Store application supports only stock configurations for each model, along with the ability to add select options such as AppleCare and One to One.

Just over a year ago, we received word from a reader who had sent an email asking Apple CEO Steve Jobs whether the company had plans to roll out an iPhone-friendly version of its online store, to which Jobs reportedly responded "Coming soon." The company's Apple Store application appeared a little over a month later, but up until now has not supported the full range of ordering options available in the regular online store. With this update, it seems clear that Apple has opted to move the mobile ordering experience into an app rather than deploying it as a mobile-formatted website.

And just a few months ago, a number of job postings appeared suggesting that Apple was looking to make significant changes to its online store. We haven't yet heard, however, of any major changes coming to the regular online store this weekend aside from an update to the order status functionality, but it also seems rather soon for Apple to have filled the significant number of open positions and had the team in place long enough to complete a thorough redesign of the company's online store.

Article Link: Apple to Update 'Apple Store' iOS App With Full Build-to-Order Mac Customization Options
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Icaras
macrumors 601

I wonder if you'll be able to select educational or business pricing as well?
Old May 21, 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
1080p
macrumors 68000

Well... even though it's cool that they are adding this to the app, I really think that if I am ordering something as expensive and as detailed as a built to order Mac, I will take the time to do it from a web browser on a computer.
1080p is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Zimmer62943
macrumors member

when do we get the apple store app in australia!
Zimmer62943 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Well... even though it's cool that they are adding this to the app, I really think that if I am ordering something as expensive and as detailed as a built to order Mac, I will take the time to do it from a web browser on a computer.
No doubt. Though, maybe iPad users will get more use out of that functionality?

I think I've only used that app to schedule and/or cancel genius appointments.
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 02:17 AM   #6
sevimli
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
well said!
sevimli is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Jowl
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Be handy in the uk
Jowl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Žalgiris
Banned

Quote:
You would and someone else wouldn't.
Žalgiris is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 03:20 AM   #9
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Let's bring back custom colors. Better have images that we upload, silk-screened on the custom Mac!
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 03:21 AM   #10
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

I kind of have a thing about Apple encouraging so many apps that have no more functionality than a web app (site optimized for a small screen). But now I find out that the current Apple Store app actually has LESS functionality than the web-site! I thought the whole point of apps is to provide more than a web app could. Although I think the real reason is that where Microsoft failed, Apple is succeeding in making parts of the web monetized and proprietary.

Don't get me wrong--I love apps where there is value in it being an app. I just think that a lot of the 250,000 apps could be web apps (web pages).
swingerofbirch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 03:32 AM   #11
Michael383
macrumors 6502a

I think these additions to the Apple Store app are welcome.
Michael383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 04:02 AM   #12
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular

So technically one should be able to buy the 128 gb mba 13" and upgrade the processor + ram, without having to opt for the much more expensive 256 gb model?
PraisiX-windows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Javik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
So technically one should be able to buy the 128 gb mba 13" and upgrade the processor + ram, without having to opt for the much more expensive 256 gb model?
no
Javik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 04:31 AM   #14
Somian
macrumors member

still no apple store app in germany =/
Somian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 04:50 AM   #15
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

After so long and this App still only works in one country....
retroneo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 05:38 AM   #16
CJM
macrumors 6502a

... Just had a little eager search for the iOS Apple Store... Now I'm finding out it's not available just about everywhere.

Doesn't concern me; don't care!
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 05:46 AM   #17
spillproof
macrumors 68020

I don't understand the need for an app. I think making the website 3.5" and 10" touch screen friendly would be better.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:15 AM   #18
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javik View Post
no
Hmm, so if this is not what they do, then it's sort of lame :P
Old May 21, 2011, 06:20 AM   #19
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular

I think perhaps the good thing about this sort of an app vs website, is that they don't have to create a new website optimized for the smaller screens?

And that people might be able to access the app offline, making them need internet only to order?

I also think that the servers used by Apple will be stressed less due to the fact that it will only have to process finished orders, not everyone's change to the hardware lineup and everyone's browsing around in the shop, i.e. only people actually buying something and not everyone just checking out the different options?
Old May 21, 2011, 06:33 AM   #20
jdwagner888
macrumors regular

Its about time they give it a face lift!
I live in Japan!
jdwagner888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 06:49 AM   #21
ciTiger
macrumors 6502a

Too bad it's only available in the US store... At least it isn't available in my country's store.
Check my iPhone and iPad Apps
ciTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 07:19 AM   #22
TheUndertow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It sounds like you can then go into the store and order said BTO which IMO is great.

I've been on the fence with whether to go BTO or pick up a Best Buy box model...mostly due to Sales Tax shipping via Apple Online.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:24 AM   #23
*LTD*
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p
Yes, as in, the iPad.

I do online shopping and major transactions on my iPhone, never mind something as big and comfortable as the iPad. You should have no problems at all.
*LTD* is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 07:45 AM   #24
zin
macrumors 6502

An international version would be great, also.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 08:36 AM   #25
propynyl
macrumors regular

iPad = computer
propynyl is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion