Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
shapeimage_1.png

Finally got one of my SSD's in yesterday (#2 coming tomorrow) and I've been searching for a solution to mount the SSD in the Mac Pro HDD Sled. Looked online and on here...saw there are adapters you can but for $25+, and since I need two...didn't really feel like shelling out $50+.

So...came up with my own solution which I think should work very well and doesn't look all that bad in my opinion...and then did a quick DIY for anyone else looking to install an SSD.

Enjoy and let me know what you think. :) http://www.macprossdinstall.com

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hot glue is much cheaper and makes for a cleaner install. :p

But how many people have a hot glue gun handy? And do you still use a CD for that or what do you use for a mounting plate?

Plus, how easy is it to remove the SSD from the sled if you need to change it out?

Last edited:

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
I actually bought one of the adapters from OWC. I don't like it very much. It does the job, but barely. The latch on the back of the Mac doesn't shut all of the way, and you can see the little pin that's supposed to lock the drive cages in place doesn't fit in just right.

Your way looks very interesting. However, i worry about tape + heat. I suggest you check on it every couple of days initially to make sure the tape hasn't loosened up because of the heat.

However, your site did give me an idea for a different way to accomplish this. Shouldn't cost much more money, but would require more tools and more time. I'm going to try it out soon.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
First of all, kudos for the DIY approach. $25 for a simple size adapter is an outrage frankly, especially since several of them seem to have problems. It's why I bought 3.5" SSDs in the first place.

HOWEVER...

I feel like that tape will loosen, particularly where it "curves" between the right edge of the SSD and the right edge of the CD.

Also, in my experience masking tape often shreds and leaves behind horrible residue if you leave it on too long. It is meant for temporarily masking a surface to protect it from paint, not for long-term mounting of electronics in a warm to hot environment.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Im actually looking at redoing this...still using the CD but drilling holes and actually screwing it down. I am a bit concerned about the tape as well.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Ok done...much cleaner right? :)

1.jpg

Write up coming up shortly.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
That looks a hell of a lot better!

The catch with this setup is that there are screws on only one side, for both the CD-to-sled and the SSD-to-CD because as you can see in the picture, the screws protrude past the CD surface and where the SSD is mounded flush, you can't use screws. I feel confident about it though as the SSD will support themselves just by the connector, it's just not the way you want to go because of gravity but this gives it plenty of support. I'm happy with how it came out.

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Why risk damaging the drives when you can spend $10 more for a proper enclosure? You've all ready spent around the same amount.

The second solution looks a little decent... but I would still go with a proper solution.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Why risk damaging the drives when you can spend $10 more for a proper enclosure? You've all ready spent around the same amount.

The second solution looks a little decent... but I would still go with a proper solution.

Actually I spent $3 total for the tape. The cheapest solution I found was for $15/each and I need two.

It's really not about the money though, I actually ordered a couple Icy Dock adapters anyway anyway, but I like tinkering with stuff and doing DIYs so this was a fun little project.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm glad that works for you, but seeing that SSDs are still so expensive, I'll just spend the extra 20 bucks and get a proper sled from OWC. I get the feeling that if that plastic ever fails, it won't go well for the hard drive (and possibly the sata connector on the logic board).

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Here's my go at it.

I went to Home Depot and bought this.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Flow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

I spent some time cutting, drilling, bending. What I came up with works, but doesn't look too pretty. I spent about an hour on it, and had I spent more time and used real tools (vs just using the side of my desk to make the bends, without even really measuring, I just eyeballed it) it could probably come out really nice. I have 9 more sheets, so I can have another go at it one day when I get bored.

Oh and it fits real well. Slides right in, no resistance or anything when going into the SATA connector. For eyeballing it, it lines up perfectly. So for that I'm happy.

Attachments

• SSDAdapter-1.jpg
    SSDAdapter-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4,527
  • SSDAdapter-2.jpg
    SSDAdapter-2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,276
  • SSDAdapter-3.jpg
    SSDAdapter-3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,905
  • SSDAdapter-4.jpg
    SSDAdapter-4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,200
  • SSDAdapter-5.jpg
    SSDAdapter-5.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,298

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I'm glad that works for you, but seeing that SSDs are still so expensive, I'll just spend the extra 20 bucks and get a proper sled from OWC. I get the feeling that if that plastic ever fails, it won't go well for the hard drive (and possibly the sata connector on the logic board).

I still ended up ordering a couple of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z2QDNE

$29 for two, good price and from the comments, seems to work well with the Mac Pro.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I still ended up ordering a couple of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z2QDNE

$29 for two, good price and from the comments, seems to work well with the Mac Pro.

I'm thinking that I'll probably go with a set of traditional brackets and mount my SSD in the lower optical bay. I just came across two matching WD greens, so my two remaining drive bays are now spoken for. I don't use the the lower optical bay, so I'll just head down to frys and pick up some of those cheap side brackets for 5 bucks

Last edited:

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I am planing on buying a SSD from either OWC or OCZ. I currently own a OWC 120GB SSD. I want to get either the 40-60gb range for the OS and a few files. My question is will the OCZ 3.5" adapter work to mount the 2.5" SSD in the second optical bay? has anyone tried it?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I am planing on buying a SSD from either OWC or OCZ. I currently own a OWC 120GB SSD. I want to get either the 40-60gb range for the OS and a few files. My question is will the OCZ 3.5" adapter work to mount the 2.5" SSD in the second optical bay? has anyone tried it?

No, an OCZ 3.5" adapter for a 2.5" drive will not work in a 5.25" optical bay by itself. You need to add a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA

If you buy an SSD that comes with a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket (like the intel 320s for example), you can purchase these for peanuts and they'll work just fine. It's not the prettiest, but I just did installed my new SSD and everything went in nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.