Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that according to industry sources, Apple is planning to adopt a "curved cover glass" for its next generation iPhone.
Cover glass makers are reluctant to commit investment to the purchase of glass cutting equipment due to the high capital involved, said the sources.
According to those same sources, Apple has purchased 200-300 glass cutting machines to be used by glass makers.
There has been no timetable yet for the volume production of iPhone 5 as Apple is currently still working with related suppliers including those involved in cover glass, glass cutting, lamination and touch sensors to improve yield rates, the sources commented.
It's hard to say what type of design a "curved cover glass" iPhone would adopt. It would also fly against recent claims and beliefs that the iPhone 5 will adopt a generally similar-to the iPhone 4 form factor but with only minor modifications.

Apple has previously used curved glass in the previous generation iPod Nano. Image above from DailyMail.co.uk.

The Samsung Nexus S uses a concave curved screen. The reasoning behind the move was for comfort:

Well, our tipster tells us Samsung's been shopping this curved display technology to carriers for a while -- as early as CES at the beginning of this year behind closed doors -- claiming that its research showed such a design improved perceived usability over a perfectly flat display.

Article Link: Apple to Introduce a Curved-Glass iPhone 5?

Last edited by a moderator:

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Are we to expect a nexus s shape with iphone 4 metal antenna wrapped around, because that would be interesting.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
From my understanding this will be like the Nexus S, where the display has a slight concave. Anyone with Nexus S experience? What's it like?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Or if I believe it.

Plasmastrike

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
I'm thinking an iPhone with the same design fundamentals of the iPad 2 (curved body, similar buttons).

At least it's pleasant to think about:)

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I'm guessing the back will be curved like a pebble to better fit the contours of your hand. This already sounds above and beyond anything competitors have come close to, design-wise.

What would be clever is if they had a luminated, frosted 3D Apple logo etched into the glass back with a laser. :cool:

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am guessing curved like the 4th gen ipod nano. I don't really expect Apple to do something like that, but then again they continue to surprise me with each new product release/upgrade. :apple:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
google search found this old mockup

Attachments

• curved-iphone-concept-from-ilounge-contest_tA6pX_59.jpg
    curved-iphone-concept-from-ilounge-contest_tA6pX_59.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,865

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
This confirms it

In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

purchasing machines that curve the glass? then how the hell do they make Magic Mouse glass?

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

purchasing machines that curve the glass? then how the hell do they make Magic Mouse glass?

It's plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.