Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kwill said:
In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

Maybe you missed the name of the site in the masthead, upper left.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Most Apple obsessions are evident in either its architecture or music products:
  1. Thin
  2. Cube
  3. Glass
This means the next iPhone will likely be designed as a clear sugar cube no bigger than the eraser on a pencil. In fact, we will simply pop them under our tongues for pitch-perfect acoustics and 3D vision.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
12217-glass-bongs-smoking-bong-water-3.jpg

You really have to question where they come up with idiotic ideas like this... ;)

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Curved as in iPhone 3G/3GS curve???

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

Completely agree.

There have been too many bogus rumors going around. I think Apple did it proper this time, almost nothing significant has been leaked.

Or maybe we should wait for August for the good information?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

boss.king said:
From my understanding this will be like the Nexus S, where the display has a slight concave. Anyone with Nexus S experience? What's it like?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Or if I believe it.

The curved screen on my Nexus is alright. When laying flat you can notice the slight curve but face on you can't notice so it doesn't affect face on viewing at all.

I couldn't really say how much it helps with glare and such but it is quite a comfortable phone to talk on when beside your ear.

It'll be good to see what Apple would impliment if this is true. The wait is still on.....

Don't know what it'll be (obviously), but pumped. Why?

This is classic apple, and classically Apple at its best. Whether it's the use of small hard drives for the original iPod (or flash for subsequent ones), multi-touch, proximity sensors, and motion detection for the iPhone, or single-piece casing for the macbook, Apple likes to push non-mainstream technologies when it can use that technology to change the kind of experience a user has.

That is, apple doesn't push the megapixel count in cameras, or the hard drive size in laptops, because those give you a marginally better experience of the same kind, if they are noticed at all. Apple is usually behind the bleeding edge with such questions of specs. But when they can change a trackpad into a tool more useful than a mouse, when they can provide a laptop that feels full-fledged in a package that seems too light to be real (macbook air), or when they can get battery life that lets people forget about the battery, they push the bleeding edge as few have the muscle or will to do.

Curved glass isn't faster or statistically better. It's difference is in kind, not degree. To me, this indicates that Apple will do something unique and something disproportionately better. It's probably not revolutionary, but is more like the mag-safe power connector - only a power cord, but an improvement in experience far larger than you thought something as simple as a power cord could provide.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

daabido

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
What I really find amazing is that in the last dozen years of following rumours to do with Apple, people fall into the same trap over and over and over again.

What trap? That even Apple can turn on a dime, design wise. A new Apple hire in a particular area? Great, there's new product being announced next week. A new rumour about curved glass? Great, the iPhone 5 will have curved glass.

The iPhone 5 has been set in steel or aluminium for quite a while now. It will be evolutionary, not revolutionary and should come out about September.

Do you really, really think that Apple has gone and brought hundreds of glass cutting machines that companies wouldn't invest in themselves probably because they've go no idea about yield quantities and all sorts of potential problems that might arise and all of that is magically going to coalesce by September?

If the rumour is true, it is no doubt to do with the iPhone 6, or whatever the next generation of iPhone is called after the yet to be released new model.

Geting industrial design right takes time. Ever notice how Johnny Ive speaks really slowly? That's because he takes the time to design things beautifully, not to be sweating on whether unknown glass cutting manufacturers can magically get their yields right in time for a launch less than four months away.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The iPhone 5 has been set in steel or aluminium for quite a while now. It will be evolutionary, not revolutionary and should come out about September.

That's quite an assumption to make, considering no one really knows anything. Also, it depends on what your definition of revolutionary.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They should think outside of the box and blow everyones minds by making the iPhone 5 round, like a ball. And out of rubber so if you drop it it won't break, it bounces back up so you can catch it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Probably some mistranslation due to a bad phone line.

I'm guessing the lawns have been getting a bit long around Apple's HQ and in an attempt to keep things nice and tidy in the future, they have just ordered a load of "Grass cutting machines" and they made sure they ordered the type that can go round curved lawn edges :D

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Is it bad I'm more excited about the iPhone 6 then the iPhone 5?
I see curved glass mixed with metal alloy with lte on iphone 6.
For iphone 5 I see a better camera and an A5 processor. Not to exciting :rolleyes:

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
They were right about the end of the world.

UK readers will realise the end of the world has arrived when MacRumors is attributing images to the Daily Mail.

Nuff Said.;)

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
What trap? That even Apple can turn on a dime, design wise. A new Apple hire in a particular area? Great, there's new product being announced next week. A new rumour about curved glass? Great, the iPhone 5 will have curved glass.

You are right to an extent, but the white glass of the iphone4 threw a curveball. I think apple, just like every other company, releases unfinished products all the time. Im not sure we always notice, but it happens and i think that sometimes there are silly ideas that get rapidly developed into new products.

I agree that apple couldn't design and produce a phone between june and september. But saying that they take their merry time to develop new things wouldn't be giving them credit for the speed at which they roll out new products.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Please say no; I keep glass side towards my leg when in my pocket. Curved glass would just make my pockets bulge more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.