Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Your 30% "Apple Tax" in action!

exactly...its like living in the Sopranos...

You pay Tony his Tax for protecting your shoppe.
Then, when other guys try to get money from you, you call big Tony, and he sends in Chris to break some knees. However, whatever you do, you have to make sure you pay Tony his Tax

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wonder if Lodsys will run scared now. I mean I imagine Apple's legal team is about the size of a small city.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
In the name of all developers: thank you Apple.

Now we just have to wait what Lodsys does with it ... they still might call it BS and start suing the developers (but at least it seems the developers can now tap into the apple lawyer machinery).

If it turns out that they had no right to threaten with law suit - can the developers counter sue (with Apple backing) - or can Apple just sue Lodsys because of this)?

Do we know if some developers already payed (since they ware scared and didn't know what else to do, lacking the cash for lawyers)? Could those get the money back?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple only gave money to Japan cause they had business interests there. What about the Australian floods or the New Zealand earthquakes or many other nameless natural disaster Apple did not help out with.

Apple is a business. And will always do what it takes to protect their own interests and make more money. It just happens that the developers interests and Apple's interests match up at this time. Next time the developers might not be so lucky.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
How about Bruce Sewell as Marsellus; Lodsys as Zed

Step aside, Butch.

Butch steps aside, REVEALING Marsellus standing behind him,
holding Maynard's pump-action shotgun.

KABOOM!!!!

Zed is BLASTED in the groin. Down he goes, SCREAMING in AGONY.

Marsellus, looking down at his whimpering rapist, EJECTS the
used shotgun shell.

Butch lowers the sword and hangs back. Not a word, until:

BUTCH
You okay?

MARSELLUS
Naw man. I'm pretty ****in' far from
okay!

Long pause.

BUTCH
What now?

MARSELLUS
What now? Well let me tell you what
now. I'm gonna call a couple pipe-
hittin' *******, who'll go to work
on homes here with a pair of pliers
and a blow torch.
(to Zed)
Hear me talkin' hillbilly boy?! I
ain't through with you by a damn
sight. I'm gonna git Medieval on
your ass.

BUTCH
I meant what now, between me and
you?

MARSELLUS
Oh, that what now? Well, let me tell
ya what now between me an' you. There
is no me an' you. Not no more.

BUTCH
So we're cool?

MARSELLUS
Yeah man, we're cool. One thing I
ask – two things I ask: Don't tell
nobody about this. This ****'s between
me and you and the soon-to-be-livin'-
the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-
agonizing-pain, Mr. Rapist here. It
ain't nobody else's business. Two:
leave town. Tonight. Right now. And
when you're gone, stay gone. You've
lost your Los Angeles privileges.
Deal?

BUTCH
Deal.

The two men shake hands, then hug one another.

MARSELLUS
Go on now, get your ass outta here.

Quentin Tarentino; "Pulp Fiction"

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Apple only gave money to Japan cause they had business interests there. What about the Australian floods or the New Zealand earthquakes or many other nameless natural disaster Apple did not help out with.

Apple is a business. And will always do what it takes to protect their own interests and make more money. It just happens that the developers interests and Apple's interests match up at this time. Next time the developers might not be so lucky.

You're right. The developers should clearly go develop for another platforms that is not a business focused on its own interests. Oh wait that's all platforms

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

First, although tragic none of those came close to the Japan incident as far as scale goes, and second how do you know they didn't donate? Many companies donate but don't advertise it because its seen as doing good only to attract attention. The stuff you read about Apple during the tsunami wasn't written by Apple, it was written by people witnessing it or living it.

Its a shame people like you fail to see any good that others do. There always has to be some hidden motivation behind everything doesn't there?

Last edited:

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
This is good, but let's not act like it's altruism on Apple's part. This is Apple protecting Apple's interest in ensuring that app developers can use the App Store and thus make wads of money for Apple. That it protects developers is an artifact of the app store model.

In short, in this case Apple's interests and those of developers are aligned. In a case where they do not align, don't expect Apple to "stand up" for developers out of the goodness of their hearts.

Well said. One such example is the awful Mac App Store which will do nothing to encourage Mac desktop developers and likely will put many out of business.

If Apple thinks bringing race to the bottom pricing to desktop apps has helped developers, they are out of touch.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Other than the obvious, I think another reason why Apple is reacting is because there are DOZENS of companies like Lodsys outthere waiting in the bushes to see how this will play out. If they kept silent, and Lodsys got its 0.5%, then count on all those hacks coming out from the bushes wanting a cut from everything...

But this should teach Lodsys -and other subspecies- a lesson.

tinman0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Lodsys does seem to be trying to stretch their profits IMO

They were hoping maybe that the small dev would roll over and just pay the fee....

Where is the news of their approaching Droid devs?

Wonder if Google have licensed the patents for their devs as well? ;)

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Honest question: Do Android applications provide in-app purchase (don't care if google based or home made)? If so, did any of those developers get any letters in the mail? I heard up only from iOS developers getting targeted ....

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Well said. One such example is the awful Mac App Store which will do nothing to encourage Mac desktop developers and likely will put many out of business.

If Apple thinks bringing race to the bottom pricing to desktop apps has helped developers, they are out of touch.

Have you used it? I have -- I bought two apps, a utility I needed for development and a game for my daughter. The prices are more expensive than iphone apps and the whole process was incredibly smooth. Just like buying books for my NookColor, I'll end up spending more money because the process is easy and fast. That's a benefit to developers and consumers.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Step aside, Butch.

Butch steps aside, REVEALING Marsellus standing behind him,
holding Maynard's pump-action shotgun.

KABOOM!!!!

Zed is BLASTED in the groin. Down he goes, SCREAMING in AGONY.

Marsellus, looking down at his whimpering rapist, EJECTS the
used shotgun shell.

Butch lowers the sword and hangs back. Not a word, until:

BUTCH
You okay?

MARSELLUS
Naw man. I'm pretty ****in' far from
okay!

Long pause.

BUTCH
What now?

MARSELLUS
What now? Well let me tell you what
now. I'm gonna call a couple pipe-
hittin' *******, who'll go to work
on homes here with a pair of pliers
and a blow torch.
(to Zed)
Hear me talkin' hillbilly boy?! I
ain't through with you by a damn
sight. I'm gonna git Medieval on
your ass.

BUTCH
I meant what now, between me and
you?

MARSELLUS
Oh, that what now? Well, let me tell
ya what now between me an' you. There
is no me an' you. Not no more.

BUTCH
So we're cool?

MARSELLUS
Yeah man, we're cool. One thing I
ask – two things I ask: Don't tell
nobody about this. This ****'s between
me and you and the soon-to-be-livin'-
the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-
agonizing-pain, Mr. Rapist here. It
ain't nobody else's business. Two:
leave town. Tonight. Right now. And
when you're gone, stay gone. You've
lost your Los Angeles privileges.
Deal?

BUTCH
Deal.

The two men shake hands, then hug one another.

MARSELLUS
Go on now, get your ass outta here.

Quentin Tarentino; "Pulp Fiction"

Zed's Dead baby.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Wonder if Google have licensed the patents for their devs as well? ;)

Yes, Google has the license, as does Microsoft.

Honest question: Do Android applications provide in-app purchase (don't care if google based or home made)? If so, did any of those developers get any letters in the mail? I heard up only from iOS developers getting targeted ....

Unsure about the first half of your question, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lodsys only tarted iOS developers (at least to start). It's the bigger marketplace (meaning more money out there to grab).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.