Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You are exactly correct. Why would I care about anyone else's opinion over mine to determine my product purchases? Or should I let you decide what I buy? That just seems like a recipe for failure.

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market. Of course up to this point, they all pale in comparison. I will admit though, that I am very picky, so they have their work cut out for them. I don't expect any of them to out-Apple Apple.

I apologize as I am new to these boards, but I come here because I enjoy all things technology and the discussion it brings. So I am sorry if I missed a post in which you have said you have tried those other devices and you have noticed a difference that Apple has over other brands, most notable the Android platform since that is a very similar end user experience. Could you elaborate where Android has failed and that Apple has excelled? I've noticed on a lot of forums that most iOS users are only familiar with earlier Android OS and devices so perhaps past perceptions are no longer the case?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Originally Posted by JarScott
I think they will see widgets as potential app replaces. Just my opinion. :p

And what's the problem?

I find it odd that iOS users have such a difficult time grasping choice. The ability to turn widgets on and off should be your decision - so if you don't like them or want to use them, just don't, right? Is Apple's policy of delivering a product that is so rigid in which the end user has very little choice on how their phone operates so ingrained that the simplicity of not using a feature is not able to be understood?

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
The difference between incremental upgrades that Google delivers vs. Apple is really in just the number formatting. 2.1 to 2.2 on Android is akin to iOS versioning 3.x to 4.x, etc. Android releases incremental patches much like iOS but they go to a third digit (whereas iOS using a third digit is generally just a minor security patch). So 2.1 to 2.2 is like iOS 3 to 4. So there's that. Second, what percentage? No idea. But the fact most versions are currently on 2.1 or 2.2, it's a safe bet that these phones will get to 2.3. To your next point, this is the difference between the transparency of when Google announces an OS and how Apple does things. Apple only announces when it's ready to be delivered; Google announces an OS before it is truly ready. What is the difference between announcing Gingerbread in December 2010 and delivering in May 2011? So if they announce and deliver in May 2011 it makes it better somehow? That's all essentially Apple is doing. And yes, OS updates will be available for 18 months, but here's the kicker: didn't I read a report that says the 3GS won't be supported for iOS5? Sure, the phone is two years old (24 months vs. 18 that Google promised) but the difference is that ATT is still selling the 3GS BRAND NEW. Go ahead; try and find me an Android phone that I can buy brand new that's currently 18 months old.

And please be aware, these are not my opinion these are facts. Feel free to research anything I wrote here and try and refute me on a basis of fanboyism.

Also, Apple needs to update more often since they mandate that they supply the interface, etc. On my Android, I use LauncherPro as the homescreen / app drawer / etc, and this app gets updated via the Market every 2-4 weeks.

If Apple wants to add, say, folder support to the home screen, it has to make a new firmware update. So this makes getting that update really crucial :D. Android pushes it via apps which allows for more frequent updating.

I finally upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3), and the only difference I noticed was better battery life... almost none of the interface I use is stock google. I honestly could have stayed on Froyo (2.2), and been fine. Again, this is because my of what I interface through is third-party apps.

It is kinda frustrating though to not be able to update to the most recent version.. just for the sheer idea of it...and who knows when it might be an important update.

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
As an Android user it's funny to see the Apple folks grapple with how to deliver widgets.

I have five scrollable screens on my Android phone. Fully four of them are filled with widgets. No opening apps/settings just to toggle wifi or bluetooth. Or checking the weather. Or my world clock. Or Pandora. Having had the Iphone 3G thru 4 before switching over to Android I never realized how limited IOS. I still have my iPad which I love but again, it is such a joke to get around. Open app. Close app. Open settings. Close settings. Way too cumbersome.

Last edited:

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
iOS 5 is going to be killer. I'm more excited for WWDC and this update than the thought of new hardware.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Also, Apple needs to update more often since they mandate that they supply the interface, etc. On my Android, I use LauncherPro as the homescreen / app drawer / etc, and this app gets updated via the Market every 2-4 weeks.

If Apple wants to add, say, folder support to the home screen, it has to make a new firmware update. So this makes getting that update really crucial :D. Android pushes it via apps which allows for more frequent updating.

I finally upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3), and the only difference I noticed was better battery life... almost none of the interface I use is stock google. I honestly could have stayed on Froyo (2.2), and been fine. Again, this is because my of what I interface through is third-party apps.

I think you bring up a valid point (even if you didn't mean to :)) You mentioned the use of launcher pro which I believe is an alternative dock/homescreen organizer. Most iOS users I have observed are looking forward to iOS due to "new features", even though there hasn't been a tangible report on what those will be. One thing every user counts on in a major upgrade is a new UI. When you mention you could have stayed on Froyo you're right because ultimately, aside from behind the scenes stuff that the average user wouldn't notice, the majority of all OS upgrades (iOS and Android) include that UI overhaul. So I think the standard Android user is a little more patient in wanting a new OS because they can mimic the tangible result of an OS upgrade (a new UI) anytime they want.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I apologize as I am new to these boards, but I come here because I enjoy all things technology and the discussion it brings. So I am sorry if I missed a post in which you have said you have tried those other devices and you have noticed a difference that Apple has over other brands, most notable the Android platform since that is a very similar end user experience. Could you elaborate where Android has failed and that Apple has excelled? I've noticed on a lot of forums that most iOS users are only familiar with earlier Android OS and devices so perhaps past perceptions are no longer the case?

I'm glad you enjoy discussions here, and welcome aboard.

As for your comment, no apologies are needed. You haven't missed out on any posts from me and I have never outlined my personal phone history here, mainly because it isn't relevant. To say otherwise sounds like you want me to justify why I prefer the iPhone. I'm not interested in doing this, so my word that I prefer it will have to be good enough for you.

You may fully enjoy android phones over the iPhone, and that's cool with me. I support your right to enjoy and prefer whatever you like. Based on your standards, Android phones may provide a very "similar end user experience" as the iPhone, but for me they do not. Of course I am very picky.

moo083

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Widgets may be REALLY cool

I think you guys see the video on the front page and are bored. Me too. But I think that guy is incorrect completely with their implementation. If it is designed that way I will probably never use it.

BUT, I personally think that the reason widgets come at the same time as notification overhaul is because the widgets are integrated into the notifications. For example, if you get a new IM message, you would be able to reply without opening the IM app.

THAT would make widgets REALLY REALLY cool rather than lame.

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
(P.S. You really think Google made Android OS just to track people?)

Do you think Google created Android simply to give users a choice in cell phone OS's?

Google wants to track everything anybody does online. It's good for their business. The only reason Google created Android was to help their business.

righttime

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Leave Notifications Alone

No. Please. I beg you. Don't touch the awesome iOS notification system. I don't think I could live another day if an incoming text didn't F#$% up my score in Tiny Wings again.

sk8er1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
The Iphone 5 will be announced too...when has apple not released a new iphone\ipad or itouch within 12 months of the last one? ATT\Verizon might get it first in July...and Sprint\T-mobile in September...

Just saying..

Good point, but how many times has apple added a new carrier? Once. This changes everything. Verizon iPhone users only got theirs about 4-5 months ago. Anyway they want to delay all their releases closer to the holidays. They could possibly announce it but it won't release until September for sure. Maybe they will announce sprint and tmobile at wwdc to be released in September with the iphone 5. That makes sense because then all the carriers would be on the same page.

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for widgets!

Just think, we get to sacrifice:
-Battery life and RAM for having widgets running all the time
-Space on my home screens
-Ease of use, now I have to worry about widgets and apps? Hurrah
-Privacy, when someone borrows my phone to play a game or something, they get to see my emails by default!

In order to get:
-the ability to read emails in 10 seconds vs 20 (because most emails are emergency messages)
-the ability to get EVEN MORE INSTANTANEOUS updates on Kim Kardashian's life!

Yep, widgets are so worth it...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for widgets!

Just think, we get to sacrifice:
-Battery life and RAM for having widgets running all the time
-Space on my home screens
-Ease of use, now I have to worry about widgets and apps? Hurrah
-Privacy, when someone borrows my phone to play a game or something, they get to see my emails by default!

In order to get:
-the ability to read emails in 10 seconds vs 20 (because most emails are emergency messages)
-the ability to get EVEN MORE INSTANTANEOUS updates on Kim Kardashian's life!

Yep, widgets are so worth it...

Don't use them, easy, no?

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
Caching up with Android does not sound like very revolutionary to me :p

Android invented widgets?

OR

Were they taken from iPhone OS 1.0?

Any person who has debugged or carefully looked at iPhone OS 1.0 would know that Apple had an idea of putting widgets (made through webkit, like they are on OS X).
This can be easily found by navigating to /Library/Widgets folder in iPhone OS 1.0. The widgets folder was empty though as Apple 'must have' had performance issues. The same performance issues which kill every android phone with such a poor reputation of battery life.

If you think, putting widgets on iOS is catching upto Android, you have been dreaming in some different world.

Widgets is a nice feature for some of the little things and can be quite useful though. I can understand how Android benefits from it as there are very less usable(feature wise) and non-ugly apps on the platform. Widgets might impress you and make you happy.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The same performance issues which kill every android phone with such a poor reputation of battery life.

If you think, putting widgets on iOS is catching upto Android, you have been dreaming in some different world.

Widgets is a nice feature for some of the little things and can be quite useful though. I can understand how Android benefits from it as there are very less usable(feature wise) and non-ugly apps on the platform. Widgets might impress you and make you happy.

My God, you're joking, don't you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.