Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I have a feeling that iOS 5 is going to beat WebOS in the few areas that it beats iOS 4 (notifications being the biggest one).

Actually, he's implying exactly that. This is exactly how he "reveals" things that he knows.

Yeah, the only time he ever flat out says anything is if it is blatant speculation on his part (such as iPad 2HD in September) or if he thinks it is wrong (such as iPhone at WWDC 2011).

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Meh, really struggle to see the big point in it, and then again Twitter is almost non-excistent where I'm from. Rather see something similar with FB, Twitter is just to primitive and low-tech, I mean, with e-mails in cellphones I thought we were finally done with SMS :)

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
A few ideas of what Gruber may be eluding to.

1) Twitter feed as screen saver / home screen?
2) Game Centre integration?
3) VoIP / Facetime Contacts from twitter? (unlikely)

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
God how i hate all this social BS. Like there are no other pressing matters to attend.

Er. Okay. I agree that most Twitter traffic the world could probably live without. But we are social animals. We need some kind of connect to be functional. I don't see how this is a bad thing (I mean, it is a phone, communicating should be it's main purpose).

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Tbh, there were similar rumours for iOS4 but then said it would be tightly integrated with Facebook. Think the Apple+FB love story ended, when talks over Ping fell apart and it got scrapped for iOS as well.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I remember seeing "Share to Twitter" on my HTC Desire over a year ago. I didn't use it then and I wouldn't use this either.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
I think Twitter system-wide could mean lots of different things: obviously makes lots of sense in Safari, and perhaps we could even get a "tweet" option in the popup list along side copy and paste?

What I really hope this means is we get an API for developers so that users don't have to keep re-authenticating with Twitter (and Facebook too?) for each app. Seems like it would be better for users and one less thing app developers have to deal with.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
**** Twitter.

And of course Gruber loves it, he's got a real hard-on for pointless tweets from insignificant little birds on the interwebs, but I wish Apple would keep that crap out of my OS. Facebook, too.

apttap

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think all Gruber was hinting at is that system level twitter integration will probably solve the nasty OAuth issues that twitter client developers are soon going to be dealing with.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Am I the only one who simply couldn't give a toss about Twitter?

I have a twitter account but I have it private and use it to only talk to a few people. It is better than email because conversations are easier to follow between multiple parties without you losing context. And it is better than IM or chat rooms because it has some permanence/you can be offline. And I absolutely do not trust Facebook (I have an account because you need to these days since it is unfortunately used to organize events).

Basically, the thing I dislike the most about Twitter is how it feels like you're shouting everything at any random person on the street.

Žalgiris;12660784 said:
So you are really going to play this game huh.

Just curious, do you take issue with the whole personality cult that Twitter encourages or something else?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
And if the phone providers have their way, sending a tweet will count as a text message. All of the providers are colluding to fix prices. Thieves!

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
....*snip*

Basically, the thing I dislike the most about Twitter is how it feels like you're shouting everything at any random person on the street.

Haha, this made my day. It´s the excact same feeling i have about it, but I´ve never been able to explain it so simple and well!

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
For the most part. I still consider twitter being ok, but facebbok i hate with passion for real.

Funny, I am the complete opposite. Most of the pro's (in my field) I follow just have auto-updating spambots posting constant updates. That and every time I get @ replies from someone "famous" I just end up with 20 more spam tweets I have to manually block.

Facebook on the other hand allows me to keep regular contact with friends, family and colleagues all over the globe.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I also vote to hell with adding twitter/social media stuff get to work on stealing webOS's notification system already. The current system needs to go away.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Žalgiris;12660833 said:
For the most part. I still consider twitter being ok, but facebbok i hate with passion for real.

I'm with you on that one. Twitter at least has a private mode (even though it is a bit glunky) so you don't have to participate in the noise if you don't want to.

Frankly, we badly need an email 2.0. We might as well still be running around using Gopher instead of web browsers.

Funny, I am the complete opposite. Most of the pro's (in my field) I follow just have auto-updating spambots posting constant updates. That and every time I get @ replies from someone "famous" I just end up with 20 more spam tweets I have to manually block.

Facebook on the other hand allows me to keep regular contact with friends, family and colleagues all over the globe.

Facebook has pretty much the same feature set as Twitter (Facebook copies about every social network so it isn't a surprise). This includes following people who spam their feeds.

The real question should be do you trust Facebook with your personal info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.