Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Wow, Apple slipped in a trojan fix plus an automatic anti-malware in less than the space of an old 3 1/2 HD floppy :) Impressive stuff.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
As posted above the 2011-003 updated also includes this change:

File Quarantine

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Mac OS X Server v10.6.7

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651

I'm embarrassed to know that this wasn't the case. Good thing, Apple is willing to update definitions everyday.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't get viruses on Windows. It's a myth spread by the elitist Apple fanboys.

You are 100% completely incorrect. If Windows didn't get viruses I wouldn't have a job. Not to mention many Windows machines are infected but you'd never know because the virus is doing what it wants and staying hidden.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
What are the statistics on the number of mac users infected by this malware?

When you read about the number of people affected by new Windows malware it is astonishing. There was one earlier in the year called "downadup". In just a short time it infected almost 10 million Windows users.

I wonder how many Mac users have actually had a problem with this. I think the word got out pretty quickly so I'm guessing not many.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
You are 100% completely incorrect. If Windows didn't get viruses I wouldn't have a job. Not to mention many Windows machines are infected but you'd never know because the virus is doing what it wants and staying hidden.

Do you find viruses on Windows 7 machines?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While i dont know the actual threat of his particular 'malware', I think apple needs to do a lot better than this in future. Such hot fixes need to be available within a couple of days max. If i wanted to use a virus/malware prone PC for weeks, i'd have simply opted for a windows machine instead of the mac!

If you read about the update, you'll see that it adds a "daily check" feature for new malware variants from Apple. Essentially, this provides a one-day turnaround time.

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
What are the statistics on the number of mac users infected by this malware?

When you read about the number of people affected by new Windows malware it is astonishing. There was one earlier in the year called "downadup". In just a short time it infected almost 10 million Windows users.

I wonder how many Mac users have actually had a problem with this. I think the word got out pretty quickly so I'm guessing not many.

Of the dozen or so Mac users I support, two fell for it. One was saved by the fact that she doesn't have an admin account, but newer versions of this malware don't require an admin password. It just installs for the current user only.

This may seem like a really obvious ploy. And it is... to Windows users (or savvy cross-platformers) who see it all the time. But Mac users aren't used to the old "OMGYOUHAVEAVIRUS!!! Let me fix that for you..." trick.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

I can't believe all the ignorant replies like this I am getting. With all due respect, I do not employ you. I fix my own problems if I get them, which I don't have problems. I am not going to University in the Computer Sci field to employ some PC technician that thinks I do employ him.

Bash me all you want, I have both Windows and Mac OSX. There is nothing special about the Mac except the development for iPhone. That's the only reason I have it, and I don't get viruses on my machine.

I will not spread the lies that the Apple fanbase believe that Macs are perfect. I will say some find it a better experience, but anything mechanical can break or be hacked.

*Awaits to be buried for telling the truth*

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't get viruses on Windows.

Don't lie. You absolutely do get (receive) viruses, but your expertise and the configuration of your computer protects you from getting affected by them. They are detected and removed before they can impact you.

The majority of computer users (PC users) don't have the same level of skill and knowledge that you do.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Can you imagine having to deal with this malware stuff constantly?

I'm glad I use OS X.

Since buying my first PC in 1997 and switching exclusively to Mac in 2004, then using both Mac and Windows in 2006 onwards I have never had to deal with malware. What I do know is that install-and-forget AVG keeps me safe on Windows.

whustedt

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Northern Germany
wonder if it will really check automatically..

hm, i'm wondering if this works when you're logged in as a standard-user.
general software updates do not work unless you're an admin! no notifications, no download, nada :mad:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
LOL

We're "fanboys" and yet you don't think Windows has viruses?

I love Apple and probably am a fanboy and yet even I have never told such an unbelievable whopping lie about Apple.

Please point out where in my statement where I said Windows doesn't get viruses, instead of I don't get viruses. Your fanboyism is getting in your way of what I actually wrote.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Don't lie. You absolutely do get (receive) viruses, but your expertise and the configuration of your computer protects you from getting affected by them. They are detected and removed before they can impact you.

The majority of computer users (PC users) don't have the same level of skill and knowledge that you do.

Maybe, that's the best response I've had so far since my first reply.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Of the dozen or so Mac users I support, two fell for it. One was saved by the fact that she doesn't have an admin account, but newer versions of this malware don't require an admin password. It just installs for the current user only.

This may seem like a really obvious ploy. And it is... to Windows users (or savvy cross-platformers) who see it all the time. But Mac users aren't used to the old "OMGYOUHAVEAVIRUS!!! Let me fix that for you..." trick.

I was on google images and had this file download but as I never opened it nothing happened. I clicked on an image to enlarge it and the download window of safari appeared with a download in progress. Given that isn't normal behavior I new the file was not something I needed. Sure enough the name of the file was the name of this malware. So I just deleted it.

Thanks for the statistics from your site.

Last edited:

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Apple have just made the very sensible step of allowing auto-updating of their malware definitions list. Future malware shouldn't require a formal Software Update:

"File Quarantine

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Mac OS X Server v10.6.7

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651"
From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657
Guess i spoke too soon in that case :eek:

Thanks for the info :)

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Certainly the most flattering. ;)

:) lol, yup. Of course your general Joe schmoe gets viruses on Windows, which I was never denying in my posts. The way he worded his reply is true, and the way I worded my reply is true also because I don't get affected by viruses. I don't download every file under the sun. Most files I download have to do with development, iTunes files like music or apps or podcasts, or TV Shows. I am mostly a content producer or a program creator and not a rampant teen that clicks on every link that he/she sees without thinking.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
That's good that Apple addressed the issue, Windows updates for this type of thing seem to never happen.

Except... you know... those weekly updates provided thru Windows Update for malware definitions that have been running for the past few years.. But, at least an uninformed opinion helps you sleep better at night I guess...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Do you find viruses on Windows 7 machines?

All the time. Most of our machines are Windows 7 now. We still have some that are Vista and some that are XP where I currently work.

I can't believe all the ignorant replies like this I am getting. With all due respect, I do not employ you. I fix my own problems if I get them, which I don't have problems. I am not going to University in the Computer Sci field to employ some PC technician that thinks I do employ him.

Bash me all you want, I have both Windows and Mac OSX. There is nothing special about the Mac except the development for iPhone. That's the only reason I have it, and I don't get viruses on my machine.

I will not spread the lies that the Apple fanbase believe that Macs are perfect. I will say some find it a better experience, but anything mechanical can break or be hacked.

*Awaits to be buried for telling the truth*

My reply is not ignorant, you are the one saying Windows doesn't get viruses. Thats a ludicrous statement, if you go for computer science like you claim you do you most certainly would understand that Windows machines have many more vulnerabilities then Unix based OS's. Ever hear of the registry? Thats one of the worst offenders.

Lastaria

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Liverpool, England
Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC...
You almost understand 10.5? Well that's very nice of you. Many of us on 10.5 decided to wait until a full new OS comes out like Lion rather than going for a half measure like snow Leopard and we should certainly not be punished for doing so.

So we must suffer because we are on a slightly earlier OS?

No we should get an update to tackle this too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.