Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, TechCrunch reported that Apple is said be integrating Twitter into iOS 5, offering users the ability to easily share photos and other content via the service. Those claims dovetail nicely with Twitter's announcement the following day that it will launch its own photo-sharing service. Daring Fireball's John Gruber hinted, however, that Apple is planning to take things even further when it comes to Twitter integration, making it a "system-level service" within iOS 5.

Another source has now spoken out on Apple's plans, with the well-connected Robert Scoble now tweeting that Apple will indeed be building Twitter "deeply" into iOS 5.
Next week will be a huge week for those of us who have lived on Twitter for last few years. Apple is building Twitter in deeply into iOS5.
In a series of follow-up tweets responding to commenters, Scoble says he's had "actual knowledge" of Apple's plans for several months now, but does not know the details. He does, however, claim that the integration will go well beyond photos and "lame 'send to Twitter buttons'".
I know someone who built the Twitter integration into iOS5 and I believe him when he says I'll love it.
Apple has announced that Steve Jobs will be providing a preview of iOS 5 at next Monday's keynote presentation at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, and we should learn more about the rumored Twitter integration at that time if it is indeed in the works.

Article Link: More Claims of 'Deep' Twitter Integration in iOS 5

Last edited:

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Meh, nobody I know uses Twitter....
I hope this isn't a focal point of the event

jsadwith

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
I really hope this isn't going to be another native homescreen icon that we can't delete.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Why would they need to do this? Hasn't it been fairly easy to write apps that talk to twitter for a long time now.. like several years?

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
I really hope this isn't going to be another native homescreen icon that we can't delete.

It would be nice if they gave us the option of hiding icons that we don't want to use. Half of the Apple apps I never use, and as you said, i can't delete them.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I really hope this isn't true. I don't use it, nor does anyone I know, so I don't want it stuffed in my face.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I really hope this isn't true. I don't use it, nor does anyone I know, so I don't want it stuffed in my face.
I'm sure there will be an option to opt out and switch Twitter API support off in the same way they do for Push Notifications.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
What's more annoying? People talking about Twitter or people talking about how they don't use Twitter?

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

What about facebook?

Oh please no. One of the great things about iOS has always been how relatively clean and uncluttered everything is (at least first party stuff). Almost everything is an app, even the phone function. Please don't spoil it by making it just another hip and trendy social media device.

Now, if all of this was the ability of apps to advertise their functionality to the OS and then share them to other apps (a la NeXt Services) then I would be all for it.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Here's the thing. What if you can create a "private notification feed" based off Twitter, which allows you to see your notifications no matter where you are, as long as you are connected to the internet?

Additionally, you can have third party apps reading this feed, and reacting to the notifications, if you enable them.

If you think about it, Twitter is essentially a widespread notification system.

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the many people who don't tweet or socialize with computers. We don't want the keynote to focus on any of this crap. Yea cool mention it once jobs. Don't demo this stupid feature... I want to see some major things Apple has done with Mac OS X. Mac OS X should be their focus!

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
For the many people who don't tweet or socialize with computers. We don't want the keynote to focus on any of this crap. Yea cool mention it once jobs. Don't demo this stupid feature... I want to see some major things Apple has done with Mac OS X. Mac OS X should be their focus!

Ha Socialize with a computer, that sounds like an oxymoron. I agree I want some focus for hardcore computing.

Apple is so consumer focused these days it leaves little for me to get excited about. I guess there isnt much to do in regards to the pro user. But they could add some nice file management enhancements. Maybe work on their towers.

All this iphone ipad ios5 and now "twitter" talk is a let down. I basically just use my phone for texting, phone calls, and sometimes the web. I dont even use the apps anymore. Havent found any too useful except for the "Daylite" application which is a CM and project management application for the mac and iphone/pad.

ios devices are still very new so i guess they need to commit their resources to that part of their business.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Some of you people need to think beyond the layer of superfluous garbage people tweet about.
Twitter can be an incredible notification/messaging system that breaks the reliance on carrier ripoff messaging fees. Yes there are other IM apps and Whatsapp, Kik, etc. The trouble is getting your network of contacts to sign up for those. Twitter's backend talks to text messaging though.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though and Apple won't rock the boat. Google sure backed off that.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
As long as they don't limit email messages to 140 characters I'll be fine with Twitter integration.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Still no news as to whether they'll be video streaming the event?

I thought the only reason the iPad 2 announcement wasn't streamed was because of questions regarding Jobs' health and whether he would present, and if he was going to be able to last the whole conference. This time, we know in advance that Jobs will be there, so he must be fit enough to do it, so i see no reason why the wouldn't stream...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.