Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After giving the stage over to Phil Schiller and Scott Forstall for much of today's WWDC keynote, Steve Jobs himself introduced iCloud to the world.

Noting that devices have changed over the past decade, with people now using photos and videos on the go, the PC should no longer be the hub for your digital life, with all media hosted on the computer. "Keeping these devices in sync is driving us crazy," Steve told the crowd.

To address the new reality, Apple has moved the digital hub to the cloud. All devices can talk to the cloud whenever they want, with instant propagation to all other devices. With iCloud, users get 5GB of free storage for mail, documents and backups; purchased music, apps and books don't count.

f1307384654-500x333.jpg

"Some people think a cloud is just a hard disk in the sky," Steve told the crowd. "We think it's way more than that." iCloud stores content (think contacts, calendar, photos, music), with wireless push to all devices. And with APIs providing developers with hooks into iCloud, all apps can take advantage of the service.

iCloud completely replaces MobileMe. Mail, contacts, and calendar are all free. Contacts and calendars will be updated across devices, just like they currently do, but there are several new components to iCloud.

First is the App Store. Users can see purchase history on all devices. Second, iBooks. Books and progress will be synced across devices. Once daily, "a lot of your important content" will be uploaded to the cloud, making it super easy to buy a new iOS device. Just type in your AppleID and password, and all your information will be automatically loaded up: music, apps, books, camera roll, device settings and app data.

Apple has added documents to iCloud as well. Users can edit a document in iWork on a Mac, and it gets instantly pushed to iCloud, where it can be accessed on an iPad. All data is saved and backed up in the cloud. This functionality is built in to Pages, Numbers and Keynote. File transferring seems totally automatic and effortless. Tweak an existing document in Pages on a Mac, and it immediately gets saved to iCloud and changes are immediately pushed to an iPad.

Apple has been working for 10 years to get rid of the file-storage system. It started with iOS, and has made its way to the Mac. iCloud entirely removes the concept of file-storage. Apps manage presentation of its own documents. Apps can store documents in iCloud, documents pushed automatically, with automatic updates on all devices when content is changed anywhere.

For developers, Apple has provided iCloud storage API's, giving easy access to iCloud features for developers -- this is a developer's conference after all, and the dev's love it.

Photo Stream, previewed earlier this year, is part of iCloud too. Photo Stream works just like documents, but your camera roll gets uploaded to the cloud, then sent to everything else. Users can import photos as well, and upload to the cloud. Steve stressed that all these features were built into apps, invisibly, "so there's nothing new to learn." On the Mac, Photo Stream is built in to iPhoto. Apple TV supports Photo Stream as well.

Only the last 1,000 photos are stored in the cloud will be downloaded to iOS devices, but all photos will be stored on the Mac/PC side. Only 30 days of photos are stored on iCloud, so iCloud doesn't save all your data, it just makes sure that everything is synced up properly.

Article Link: Apple Introduces iCloud: Contact, Cal, Docs, Photos, and Music Syncing Free of Charge

Last edited:

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Does the icloud documents just sync keynote, numbers and pages? I was hoping for an improvement on idisk like dropbox but would allow me to sync any file types between my macs and work PC.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I noticed today that when I click the App Store on my iPhone and then Updates, I don't get my normal "No Updates Available". Instead, it is split into All and Not On This iPhone tabs.. so it appears iCloud is in limited play already.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Does the icloud documents just sync keynote, numbers and pages? I was hoping for an improvement on idisk like dropbox but would allow me to sync any file types between my macs and work PC.

With the iCloud API, I'm sure virtually every Mac application of any note will eventually be updated to hook into it.

Depending on what's allowed, it may be the case that a developer could write a replacement for DropBox in a few lines of Objective C in XCode.

UnSainted

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
DFW, Texas
MobileMe

I just renewed my mobileme 2 weeks ago.. Since its going away I wonder what I will get in exchange.. More iCloud space? I didnt catch any mention of it but i would be ok with that.

Ygn

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
This will be really useful, the iPhone+iTunes have never had a solid way of transferring photos (not that I know of anyway, if there is I'll cry) so if this syncs it all to iCloud it will be so much easier.

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004

If I read correctly, there are dev APIs for iCloud that can be incorporated into any app. So, if MS chooses they can have Office docs sync automatically to the cloud just like Pages, etc.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
How about existing me.com accounts/email addresses?
Of course can't connect to mobileme this morning...
Really don't trust them they can make this work.

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii
Great, I just renewed MobileMe

Family Plan: $149.00. Less than a month ago. Damn. So what did Apple give me? A free extension to June 30, 2012--almost 45 days free! Sigh.

Last edited:

gwest

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
iWeb and @mac

Any ideas on the future of iWeb and the hosting service that Apple has offered? The program has been ignored for a while and there's no indication of an upgrade or replacement.
Also, will the @mac-email addresses continue to function after this free @me-offering is released?
Any speculations on these unanswered issues?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
So I wonder what happens with purchased mobileme credits? I had purchased some on sale from amazon and had to wait to enter the code because you were only allowed to add one per year. I have since done this but in the meantime had purchased discounted mobileme credits when I got my iphone. These are sitting around waiting to be used.

I hope there is an offer of a refund or perhaps if there are upgraded storage options for a fee that these credits can be used for that.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm very curious how our Apple ID will work with iCloud. Everyone who signs up for iCloud gets an @me.com e-mail address. Will this replace the e-mail we currently use as our Apple ID? Or, we will continue to sign-in and download Applications under our old e-mail's, and have the @me.com solely as an extra e-mail. :confused:

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
No Time Capsule?

What!? No Time Capsule? If iCloud only stores my most recent items and the rest has to be stored on my Mac then how can they say the iDevices will now be independent of the Mac / PC?

They even mentioned that many users are stating they want the iPad / iPhone to be their only device. So in this case where the heck will they store their files?

:confused:

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Any ideas on the future of iWeb and the hosting service that Apple has offered? The program has been ignored for a while and there's no indication of an upgrade or replacement.

Yep I'd like to know about this too.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
I'm very curious how our Apple ID will work with iCloud. Everyone who signs up for iCloud gets an @me.com e-mail address. Will this replace the e-mail we currently use as our Apple ID? Or, we will continue to sign-in and download Applications under our old e-mail's, and have the @me.com solely as an extra e-mail. :confused:

Apple created that mess and they have no idea how to deal with it.
Right now we have to id's - apple id and mobileme id, they can't
recognize them and that's why so often I can't log in, I get
"wrong id" message all the time. works on my iPhone, but it's terrible
on my macs...

UndeadDan

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
York, PA
Really looking forward to info about:

-iDisk
-Pricing on Additional Storage
-MobileMe refunds
-E-mail addresses

Please Apple, iCloud sounds really cool, but please don't screw over the folks who have grown to love all of the features dating back to .Mac.

yargok

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009

I hope it is this way to allow for families to still share a single account for purchasing apps and music.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Not sure how this really gets rid of a file system... not that I personally want that. But, this does seem very convenient. I like how it seems very automated and behind the scenes...

I also wonder if this means I'll be able to sync my ipad to more than one computer (if I own both machines and use the same apple ID on them? That would be awesome...! And many people have a desktop and a laptop, for example...)

And it's free! :)

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
I noticed today that when I click the App Store on my iPhone and then Updates, I don't get my normal "No Updates Available". Instead, it is split into All and Not On This iPhone tabs.. so it appears iCloud is in limited play already.

Yes - and I already see the 'cloud' icons. It's either cloud icon, or "installed"

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
I guess I don't "get" it, what the big deal about this is.

I already have Gmail.

I already have Flickr.

And I already have online storage.

How is this any different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.