Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
FYI, it's not breaking the law unless you get caught. At least that's how my family sees it. I'm sorry but I work until 10:00pm multiple times per week, if I followed this damn law I wouldn't ever get to go to a movie with friends, go to people's houses, etc.

So stealing isn't breaking the law unless you get caught?

That said, I do agree with you on stupidity of the curfew law.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
I can't drink but it seems to me that if you are buzzed enough to be concerned about being stopped, aren't you going to have even more trouble navigating the App?

I can't say I totally agree with the statement that Apple is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. Prior to the report of the letter from the senators and then this report, I hadn't heard of a great deal of clamoring for Apple to get rid of these apps.

I see this is PR, and I doubt that removing these apps will improve road safety.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is a slippery slope!

First, devs are not allowed to help us drive drunk and kill people. (Does anyone here not know someone killed that way?)

What’s next, telling devs who they can and cannot murder? Will they disallow apps that prank 9-1-1 or impersonate police calls? What about an app that helps restaurant owners dodge health inspectors, or helps fruit growers inject poisons? Do we lose those rights too? :mad:

Enjoying a particular beverage--without taxi inconvenience--is worth the price of a human life or maiming. Neither the government nor Apple can tell me otherwise. Staying alive on the road is not a right. Selling an app is!

Some laws are bad. Therefore all laws are bad. Therefore law enforcement is bad. QED :)

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Maybe according to you, but to me it's absolutely demented. I personally use apps like this so I can avoid checkpoints, not because I drive drunk, but so I can break Michigan's retarded 10pm curfew for teen drivers. I'll be sure to not update Trapster in the near future. This is just another attempt by the government and their pigs to control people; shame on Apple for giving in to the government and bs political correctness.

-Don

Grow up. Think of someone besides yourself.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
So stealing isn't breaking the law unless you get caught?

That said, I do agree with you on stupidity of the curfew law.

The difference between breaking a driving curfew or speeding is that those are both victimless crimes. I'm not hurting anyone by breaking a 10pm driving curfew, whereas I would be if I stole something. The only victim is me, myself, and I, if I get caught because violating the curfew gets you two points on your license and a crapload of hiked auto insurance premiums.

-Don

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I can't drink but it seems to me that if you are buzzed enough to be concerned about being stopped, aren't you going to have even more trouble navigating the App?

I can't say I totally agree with the statement that Apple is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. Prior to the report of the letter from the senators and then this report, I hadn't heard of a great deal of clamoring for Apple to get rid of these apps.

I see this is PR, and I doubt that removing these apps will improve road safety.

Well, now that those senators HAVE written the letter, they're bound to get more attention.

Good on Apple. So much potential harm could come from these apps. So very very little inconvenience for the rest of us. It's stuff like this that differentiates them from Android's free-for-all...

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
You'd likely change your mind if you suffered the loss of a loved one as the result of drunk driving.

This has nothing to do with drunk driving. It's about a citizen's right to share information about when and where the state is conducting searches without probable cause. If we are going to be surveilled and searched without probable cause, we should be able to share information on where that is occurring.

The real travesty is that Apple caved to the government thugs.

Apple caved pretty easy.

It points to how their behavior will be with iCloud. Since they hold the encryption keys will they bow down to any government agency that wants to comb through the emails and iMessages in the iCloud looking for the subversive of the day (terrorists, tea partiers, huffers, Wiki Leaks supporters, Republicans when the Democrats are in power, Democrats when the Republicans are in power, and so on).

No thank you Apple. If Apple were to let the user create their own 448 bit key, like Mozy does, then I would not have the reservations about iCloud.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
FYI, it's not breaking the law unless you get caught. At least that's how my family sees it. I'm sorry but I work until 10:00pm multiple times per week, if I followed this damn law I wouldn't ever get to go to a movie with friends, go to people's houses, etc. I don't know a single family that requires their children to follow this law, and there is a considerable movement to overturn it. This is a law that was made to get broken.

-Don

Picking up right where you left off from your "driving" thread I see:rolleyes:

FYI: I have to correct you though. Breaking a law is breaking a law, regardless if you get caught or not.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
it's up to Android to fullfill the much needed perp apps.

apps for: hookers, drugs, burglary, DWI, spying, and hacking are desperately needed

note: ( iOS looks pretty boring :D )

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Well, now that those senators HAVE written the letter, they're bound to get more attention.

Good on Apple. So much potential harm could come from these apps. So very very little inconvenience for the rest of us. It's stuff like this that differentiates them from Android's free-for-all...

You sound like one of those hypocritical MADD cronies, who says "no no no, the alcohol is bad for you, it kills." and then goes home after your kid's soccer practice only to knock a few back. Just saying.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Who else, but someone breaking the law, would download this app?

Me. I don't drink. I do work til 11pm to 1am most nights. Running into checkpoints and sitting in a line for an hour while the police look for drunks? Okay. But every single night when I've just worked a 16-18hr day? No thank you.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I have. This app does nothing to stop anyone from driving drunk. Check points don't cover the entire drive of a drunk, just one portion of it.

You're correct. It does nothing to stop people from driving drunk. If anything, it contributes to it. On the other hand, banning apps like these do contribute to fewer people driving drunk. If a drunk isn't able to avoid a checkpoint, they get a DUI and don't drive for a while. I'll say that's pretty effective.

This has nothing to do with drunk driving. It's about a citizen's right to share information about when and where the state is conducting searches without probable cause. If we are going to be surveilled and searched without probable cause, we should be able to share information on where that is occurring.

The real travesty is that Apple caved to the government thugs.

You're in denial if you think it has nothing to do with drunk driving. You're also worse off if you think people haven't used those apps to avoid DUI checkpoints because they are drunk. DUI checkpoints are not searches, so you're going to need a better argument than that.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
...so I can break Michigan's retarded 10pm curfew for teen drivers. I'll be sure to not update Trapster in the near future. This is just another attempt by the government and their pig...

I was gonna say "grow up" and stop thinking "retarded" is a funny word and that police are "pigs". But then I see you're still a teenager so I guess there's time for you to develop some more mature points of view.

When I was a teenager my dad pulled off the road to look at a map, and we were rear-ended by a drunk going 50. The police found he'd been mixing drinks while he drove. Maybe a checkpoint would have taken him off the road and averted our tragedy.

When I was a young adult I worked as a police beat reporter on weekend nights, when that beat's busiest. I covered many car crashes and alcohol was usually involved. I remember one where I helped police pull a kid out of his crumpled car (the other driver, a pregnant woman, had already been taken away). At the hospital later I watched as doctors first told her husband they'd lost the baby she was carrying, and then, an hour later, that she'd died, too. Maybe a checkpoint would have taken that teenage driver off the road.

What are we to trade for the thousands of alcohol-related auto deaths? Your zeal to avoid the state's curfew? Joe Blow's desire to sell an app?

Have you ever seen a driver flash his lights to warn oncoming traffic that there's a cop with a speedgun ahead? I'm sure he thinks he's cool. I always wonder if the driver would do that--help speeders avoid getting caught--if he knew his kids were driving behind him and would have to face all the speeders who weren't taken off the road. Regardless of age, Don, there are grownups on the road, and some who aren't so much. Pick your sides carefully, because it's not a game but real life, with real consequences.

(and please note i've NOT said i care whether you adhere to a curfew. I'm arguing your inconvenience is a petty argument for doing away with DUI checkpoints, much less checkpoint apps. please give it some thought.)

Last edited:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
The difference between breaking a driving curfew or speeding is that those are both victimless crimes. I'm not hurting anyone by breaking a 10pm driving curfew, whereas I would be if I stole something. The only victim is me, myself, and I, if I get caught because violating the curfew gets you two points on your license and a crapload of hiked auto insurance premiums.

-Don

You're extremely self-centered. Believe it or not, teenagers do not make the best decisions. I should know, I used to be one. You are not a kid, but you are not quite an adult yet. So society places restrictions on teenagers. Be glad that you have a car - 99% of the world's people your age don't have that privilege.

Be patient, be smart. Your life could be ruined if you ran over someone or hurt yourself. That would be far from victimless.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
You sound like one of those hypocritical MADD cronies, who says "no no no, the alcohol is bad for you, it kills." and then goes home after your kid's soccer practice only to knock a few back. Just saying.

MADD is not against drinking.....there are against drinking and driving....hence the acronym..Mothers Against Drunk Driving

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Shame on them for caving so easily. THIS is why I'm getting sick of apple. Its not their job to police.

Yah yah drunk drivers etc... And I don't drink. But I'd use it to avoid delays.

nathanw

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
FYI, it's not breaking the law unless you get caught. At least that's how my family sees it. I'm sorry but I work until 10:00pm multiple times per week, if I followed this damn law I wouldn't ever get to go to a movie with friends, go to people's houses, etc. I don't know a single family that requires their children to follow this law, and there is a considerable movement to overturn it. This is a law that was made to get broken.

-Don

"FYI", it's still a law. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it is not a law. You work until 10 PM? Talk to your boss about making it 930 to be in accordance with the law.

I know this is getting more and more off topic, but I just can't stand people who think the law doesn't apply to them because they don't like it.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Stupid. The information that these apps had were given IN ADVANCE by the local police departments!

Why don't these Senetors spend their energy on fixing unemployment and out of control spending.

There is no fix for that my friend. We have been screwed from both sides for a long time. It will have to fix itself.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
You'd likely change your mind if you suffered the loss of a loved one as the result of drunk driving.

And this has nothing to do with drunken driving.
It is nothing more than a "feel good" move like most anti DUI initiatives.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Me. I don't drink. I do work til 11pm to 1am most nights. Running into checkpoints and sitting in a line for an hour while the police look for drunks? Okay. But every single night when I've just worked a 16-18hr day? No thank you.

Wouldn't you figure it out after the second or third time? You don't need an app to tell you that.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm I'm still relying on my radar detector and I think that works better than trapster... Trapster never really worked for me, so it doesn't matter it it's banned, but I don't see any good reason in banning it. Maybe Apple is just under criticism from some lawmakers trying to get reelected.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope they crack down on the local news outlets that publish this information also.

That might be difficult as it is a requirement that advance public notice must be given for checkpoints. I can see it now:

Officer: Here, read this notice.
Talking Head: There will be a checkpoint at 4th and Main.
Officer: You are under arrest.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.