Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Lodsys: Ok buddy, I see you've got some lunch money. Pay the toll, f**ker!
Dev.: ummm
Apple: (taps Lodsys on shoulder) Pardon me. Is there a problem here?
Lodsys: HOLY CRAP!!
Apple: oh you mean like the stuff running out your pant leg?
Lodsys: I'm sorry? My statement was taken out of context? Any of that work for you?
Apple: please go take a bath. You're starting to smell.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Who here is surprised that KnightWRX is Lodsys' one man cheering section? :p

Who said I'm cheering for them ? Quite the contrary, as a iOS developer, I hope they lose.

Don't mistake me being a realist with "cheering". I just don't think Apple is going to crush Lodsys and go for a sure win. This is all planned on both sides and this will be a drawn out battle with no clear outcome in sight. I think Lodsys' patent is full of crap, they gamed the system to extend its usable lifetime and never made anything from it. However, there has been little forthcoming prior art to invalidate it.

It remains to be seen what the language in Apple's license is and if it does indeed hold up in court whether it covers or not 3rd parties. Lodsys isn't a bunch of dummies, no patent trolls should be underestimated. The language is probably written in a way that supports what Lodsys is doing and Apple probably have a good defense based on a different interpretation.

The winning interpretation will be up to the judge/jury on the case if this ever goes to court (if no settlement is reached).

Seriously, the level of discussion on this site is ridiculous sometimes. Why do I even have to explain this ? Take your "hater" propaganda elsewhere seriously. Just going "Go Apple! They'll crush Lodsys!" will only make you disappointed if Apple ever loses. It's much better to analyse the situation coldly and realise that Lodsys has lawyers too and those lawyers aren't dumb. They knew all this was coming, same as Apple knew their letter wouldn't stop the lawsuits and might even provoke them (which it did). This is all planned moves on both sides following a much bigger strategy than any of us are privy to.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Great move by apple. Protecting the developers and hopefully stifling this patent troll

Just "Vinnie"

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Bold move. I don't know many software (platform) companies who would have done that. The giant has a heart, protecting the villagers!

Seriously? You believe Apple is doing this out of kindness? LOL!

Not that the company had real choice here. Not doing so would have tarnished its reputation and viability of the platform. But still, it's cool, or smart, from their part.

Way to work both sides of the fence here.

What's more... I bet Apple will settle and part with millions over this. It's exactly what Lodsys was hoping for.

hurtle

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2004
London, England
Any word if Google is also stepping up for the Android developer that is effected by this law suit? Was there a public statement by google?

Apple have apparently licensed the tech in question, so they're ready to defend their devs - given Google's track record with Android so far, avoiding licenses with Sun now Oracle, do we really think that they licensed anything? I'm not so sure.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple have apparently licensed the tech in question, so they're ready to defend their devs - given Google's track record with Android so far, avoiding licenses with Sun now Oracle, do we really think that they licensed anything? I'm not so sure.

Yes, Google has the same license. However, unlike Apple's IAP, In-App Billing is optional with Google and no Android developers have been targetted by a lawsuit, and very few have received letters.

It is unstated if those that did receive letters on the Android side even use In-App Billing and thus it is unclear if they fall under the umbrella of Google's license.

Completely different situations folks, drop the Google hate, it has no place in this thread.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Who said I'm cheering for them ? Quite the contrary, as a iOS developer, I hope they lose.

Don't mistake me being a realist with "cheering". I just don't think Apple is going to crush Lodsys and go for a sure win. This is all planned on both sides and this will be a drawn out battle with no clear outcome in sight. I think Lodsys' patent is full of crap, they gamed the system to extend its usable lifetime and never made anything from it. However, there has been little forthcoming prior art to invalidate it.

It remains to be seen what the language in Apple's license is and if it does indeed hold up in court whether it covers or not 3rd parties. Lodsys isn't a bunch of dummies, no patent trolls should be underestimated. The language is probably written in a way that supports what Lodsys is doing and Apple probably have a good defense based on a different interpretation.

The winning interpretation will be up to the judge/jury on the case if this ever goes to court (if no settlement is reached).

Seriously, the level of discussion on this site is ridiculous sometimes. Why do I even have to explain this ? Take your "hater" propaganda elsewhere seriously. Just going "Go Apple! They'll crush Lodsys!" will only make you disappointed if Apple ever loses. It's much better to analyse the situation coldly and realise that Lodsys has lawyers too and those lawyers aren't dumb. They knew all this was coming, same as Apple knew their letter wouldn't stop the lawsuits and might even provoke them (which it did). This is all planned moves on both sides following a much bigger strategy than any of us are privy to.

Well you need to remember Lodsys did not write nor make the agreement with Apple and others. It was the company that Lodsys bought up that made the agreement with Apple.

Also it needs to be noted that Apple and others got like 1000 patents from that first company so crap patents like this one just happen to be in it but it was a huge block of patents. It could easily be that the agreement does allow them to pass it on to the devs as a patent troll like Lodsys did not write it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Bold move. I don't know many software (platform) companies who would have done that. The giant has a heart, protecting the villagers!

Not that the company had real choice here. Not doing so would have tarnished its reputation and viability of the platform. But still, it's cool, or smart, from their part.

Well, "heart" is a bit too far. More likely, Apple is protecting the lifeblood of its business, the developers. Without them, no software. No software, no iPad and iPhone popularity. No iPad and iPhone popularity, no profit ;)

Besides, since Apple gets a cut of the purchases made from within apps, Apple has a vested interest in protecting this cash flow.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Why do you think that everyone who thinks your a hater is fanboy?

You bag on Apple so consistently and frequently, why wouldn't people assume you have it in for Apple?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

Totally agree. Well done Apple. I really hope Apple win!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah! This is so like the starship Enterprise coming out of nowhere and blasting a Romulan ship to smithereens. Way to go Apple!

I'm not so sure I would equate Lodsys to the Romulans... more like Ferengi. Romulans are at least respectable.

Any word if Google is also stepping up for the Android developer that is effected by this law suit? Was there a public statement by google?

Google may be doing so once those lawsuits get filed. It is in their interests too.

Lodsys must be feeling like the space radar traffic controllers on Alderann when the Death Star rocked up and parked in orbit.

WTF IS THAT??!!! And why is the front glowing??!!

It makes me smile to think of it this way, but unfortunately Lodsys probably has their next step planned and it will be a matter of who has planned the most moves ahead and what the courts think.

now we know part of the reason for the 30% cut ...

Why ? The patent as it stands covers the act of submitting feedback from an App to a central location. It's not about unlocking content at all.

Yes... Apple's original letter to Lodsys points out that all "feedback" goes to Apple and it is Apple who is selling the product. Apple as the middle man here seems to be the basis of why they feel Lodsys' claim is invalid.

You assume Apple took Lodsys by surprise and they weren't prepared for it. I think you're in for a nasty surprise yourself as you find out Lodsys had planned for all of this.

Who here is surprised that KnightWRX is Lodsys' one man cheering section? :p

You are misreading KnightWRX. While it is easy to want to cheer when the star player runs onto the field to help the underdog take down their opponent, it is important to remember that there is still a game to be played. I'm sure Lodsys and Apple each have their own escalation plans -- it is a game of chess. Lodsys obviously hoped Apple would not get involved, but their quick response to Apple's letter shows that they were expecting that. Apple was required to send a letter before taking legal action but could not make their next move until Lodsys made theirs. This is a game that will involve motions and counter-motions and oppositions to each motion. Certainly it is good that Apple has decided to back the developers, but unfortunately this is far from over.

The stakes have just gone up and the question Lodsys is asking themselves right now is "if Apple becomes the defendant, is the potential revenue worth the investment of legal fees and the risk of losing the lawsuit?" The next move by Lodsys will be to file an opposition to Apple's motion, then a decision will be made which will set the stage for the next round.

One possible end-game that Lodsys may be hoping for is a renegotiated license from Apple that clearly covers app developers and an increased license fee to go with that. Apple believes their current license covers them, Lodsys believes it does not.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Apple Inc. ("Apple") hereby respectfully moves to intervene as a defendant and counterclaim plaintiff in the above-captioned action brought by plaintiff Lodsys, LLC ("Lodsys") against seven software application developers (collectively, "Developers"), forallegedly infringing U.S. Patent Nos. 7,222,078 (the "078 patent") and 7,620,565 (the "565 patent" and, collectively, the "patents in suit"). Apple seeks to intervene because it is expresslyl icensed to provide to the Developers products and services that embody the patents in suit, free from claims of infringement of those patents.

lol who wrote this quote? try a little spell check before posting an article with incorrectly spelled words and not using the space bar.

Anyways, glad apple is backing the devs. Sucks that there are companies like Lodsys out there who just bank on suing for patents that they own but don't even use. Even though the USPTO is pretty whack as is, I think they should at least make some kind of clause, if you don't use whatever you are patenting in an actual product or service within maybe 24 months or something that anyone can then use the patent without worrying of infringement. I'm not sure about all of the technicalities of the PTO, so maybe this would be dumb, but it's certain that something should be done.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Why do you think that everyone who thinks your a hater is fanboy?

I don't, I think everyone who thinks I'm a hater is just grossly misinformed.

You bag on Apple so consistently and frequently, why wouldn't people assume you have it in for Apple?

When did I bag on Apple in this thread ? Next time you attack me, at least wait for me to do what you think you're accusing me of doing. I wasn't bagging on Apple by saying Lodsys probably saw this move coming. I wasn't even commenting about Apple.

Seriously, we had the same kind of "Lodsys is now dead! Apple has won!" crap in the thread about Apple sending the letter. Those sure turned out to be insightful posts uh ? Lodsys sure backed off and ran home with their tails between their legs uh ?

It's too early in this game to even start thinking Apple has won anything. Take a chill pill and let's wait for this to at least go through a few more motions.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010

Don't mistake me being a realist with "cheering".

A lot of assumptions are being made in this thread. That Lodsys's lawyers are smart and ready for Apple is just another one.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That Lodsys's lawyers are smart and ready for Apple is just another one.

It's a much safer assumption than the contrary and results in less disappointment if it happens to not be true.

Would you rather underestimate your opponent or overestimate them ? Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It remains to be seen what the language in Apple's license is and if it does indeed hold up in court whether it covers or not 3rd parties.
You were looking for a reason for 30% cut on IAPs. Have you found any, yet?

It's becoming more and more clear that Lodsys doesn't understand the "walled garden" of Apple's APIs.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I don't want to rain on the warm and fuzziness parade, but apple is doing this for their own best interests, not the developers. If it had no benefit for them to defend the developers, they probably wouldn't have. Did no one see this part of the article?

lack the technical information, ability, and incentive to adequately protect APPLE'S rights under its license agreement."

So basically, they're saying "instead of directly suing us they're suing no name developers to make things more difficult for apple, we better defend ourselves."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.