Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sucks for those hoping for iPods. Oh well better than nothing I guess.

More like sucks for the store staff that have to deal with the pissed off customers that feel they are entitled to that free ipod touch or something of equal value and that Apple can't stop doing the promo that way now that they started it.

mrdctaylor

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Why would anyone order from Apple and not Amazon with this lame giveaway? I don't get it. The fact that Amazon doesn't charge sales tax more than makes up for it. I guess if you wanted to customize it from the Apple store...but still.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The BTS deal was only marginally good with the free iPod touch.

Now that it's only $100 at the Ap Store (meaning no music or movies?) it's not worth it at all.

Just look at freddiculous's purchase if he got it at B&H Photo

2.2 Core I7 MacBook Pro $2043.88
Epson Printer $65 (same model)
Tax $0
Ship $0

Total 2108.65

He spent $451 for a $100 Ap Store gift card.

Not really, B&H doesn't sell the MBP with the high res anti-glare screen which is a $129 (with student discount, $150 otherwise) BTO option. So if we add that you get $2258.65 as your total.

Also whether it is tax free depends on what state he is in. If he lives in NY it is not because B&H is located there. And most other states collect "use" taxes which is supposed to include internet purchases. They have no way of telling what you bought on the internet so most people just don't pay them.

Still probably cheaper on B&H, but then you don't get the computer you are trying to buy...which you should when spending over two thousand dollars.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Very Typical...

Apple's Mouthpiece Does It Again...

"To the dismay of much of the class of 2011, Apple has dropped the popular loss leader in the promotion that launched Thursday on its online store. Instead, it offers the usual 10% discount on a Mac and a $100 gift card that can be used at the Mac App Store, the iOS App Store, the iTunes Store or Apple's iBookstore. Heavily promoted: Apple's iWork software suite -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

Too bad the $100 can't be used for Microsoft (MSFT) Office, which for better or worse is still the standard at most colleges and universities."

Apple hypocrisy at it's finest once again. It's like parents giving their kid money with strings attached.

Uncle Steve gives one hundred bucks but the says you can only use it if you spend it on his products.

What an ASS!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06...rtunebrainstormtech+(Fortune+Brainstorm+Tech)

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
Not thrilled with the promo but want gives on the discounts. $200 off top MBP, as usual, but the top imacs are only $100. :confused:

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I see people are claiming that students shouldn't be disappointed, as Apple is still giving them something extra which they should be grateful for. I suppose they should grateful... but a $100 voucher is absolutely nothing compared to a $250 iPod Touch that Apple has given out in previous years. It's disappointing to those who were anticipating the same iPod that previous students have received, and it ESPECIALLY hurts when Microsoft has stepped UP their game by giving out a free Xbox 360 with their computers.

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Going with a friend today to buy a new MacBook. He just graduated from homeschool and will be attending a local community college in the Fall. Will he need to show a student ID or something (which he does not have yet) to get the gift card?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Can't believe no one has pointed out that this might mean that they won't be launching new iPods this year. Isn't the BTS promotion usually used to clear out old stock?

Dropping this promo doesn't equal a lack of new anything

it could be (one or several)

1. Apple just decided to mix things up a bit and push the App Store etc
2 Apple decided they don't need the gimmick to sell their computers
3. Apple is tired of seeing the ipods on ebay etc
4. they don't have the massive stock due to the Japan earthquake shutting down factories that make needed parts

XR4TI

macrumors member
May 20, 2011
Bought my MBP yesterday from BB and found the ctrl key is loose and pops up. annoying! Returning it today and the sales associate told me that they are not sure yet if corporate is going to give them the green light to match the BTS promo. I told him that it will be the difference of me returning and going to Apple store or exchanging with the $100. Just thought I'd share.

jojopopo23

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
So i bought my Macbook Pro last evening (couldn't wait anymore and turns out all i had to do was wait 12 more hours lol)....

I've been reading the forums and I guess i can return it and then rebuy it to get the gift card?

Are they gonna make me lug my macbook and printer in there that i bought or do you think i can just bring in my receipt?

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Thank you for further proving my point.

i dont understand why your point is even an issue, for $70 of the promotional $$ to head to artists, songwriters, book writers, app developers or more... is a non-issue to me.

the bigger issue is that Apple chose to decrease their promotion from years prior. instead of a value of up to $200, Apple is giving consumers a much cheaper add on. it essentially only costs them $70 to third parties. Maybe an ipod only cost them a similar amount to make and ship, i dont know.

but to consumers when Microsoft is giving away xbox 360's worth $200, a $100 app / itunes store credit isn't worth as much.

gorcman

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't mind the Mac App store gift card if there were any actual useful apps I would buy. The closest thing for me would be aperture 3, but I already have it.

ReddDraggon

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
North Wales or Manchester
banner-bts2011-chalk-board.png

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I think this should have been a $200 card... Glad I didn't wait. Bought mine 3 or so weeks ago and got a much better deal than this is. Better luck next time to those who waited! :rolleyes:

charpi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2006
Weird, our online stores do not have the promo yet (Singapore).

Is the 11" MBA included?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Being one of many who were waiting for the BTS 2011 promotion to feauture the free iPod I can go some way in empathising with those who are disappointed. What I can't abide is this sense of entitlement and resentment many posters are demonstrating in response to this years BTS promotion. Sure, a free iPod would have been nice but at no point did Apple promise this - our waiting game was based purely on looking at what had gone before. It was also our choice to hold out for the deal so consider it a gamble that didn't quite pay the dividend you hoped for but hey, you still win as you pick up a £65.00 / $100 voucher, along with a discounted price on your computer, a huge discount on Applecare (good for resale value) and a free printer (US only).

I mean, really - what's it coming to when individuals bemoan being given free stuff - be grateful you have enough money to buy these luxury electronic goods and get some perspective.

Objector

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
I've also been waiting for so long for the BTS-action to kick in and now I have finally ordered my iMac. I was really looking forward to get a free iPod classic, so I could give my touch to my mother. So she is actually more disappointed then me.

Nevertheless I am glad I waited, because free is free.

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
I really worry about the future of our country when people say that Apple giving them a free $100 gift card is a bad deal. It just makes everybody sound so spoiled. Like you deserve free crap. Newsflash: You don't deserve anything. You aren't special.

The "future of our country"? A bit hyperbolic, no?

It's still a better deal than nothing, of course, but it sucks a bit for those people who were waiting out for months till the promo dropped.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Eh? Not quite. My point was that MS were offering something of tactile value to the consumer, as well as to themselves.

I don't know if you've seen Apple's "Top Paid" apps on the Mac App Store, out of 12, 8 or 9 are theirs, at least in the UK, which strikes me as a bit self-serving.

Ultimately, I just feel this is a bit crap compared to previous years. You can disagree, but the facts are there, alot of people on the board are disappointed by it, some don't mind.

I would bet my life savings that most people given the choice between an iPod touch or a voucher for Mac apps, everyone would take an iPod touch.

Thank you, again, for continuing the further prove my point.

kaiulani

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Bad promo losing faithful customers

After more than 30 years of using exclusively Apple products and raising my family on them, we will have to be buying 3 pcs (yecch) instead of the 3 macbook pros we had been intending to buy when Apple did its normal ipod promo. We do not need or want anything form the app store so this promo is useless to us and the competition's back to school offer is just too great. If only we could use the $100 coupon towards ipods, Apple would not be losing 3 good lifetime customers. More actually, because we all like to be compatible on our platforms and the rest of us will be migrating eventually too.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
After more than 30 years of using exclusively Apple products and raising my family on them, we will have to be buying 3 pcs (yecch) instead of the 3 macbook pros we had been intending to buy when Apple did its normal ipod promo. We do not need or want anything form the app store so this promo is useless to us and the competition's back to school offer is just too great. If only we could use the $100 coupon towards ipods, Apple would not be losing 3 good lifetime customers. More actually, because we all like to be compatible on our platforms and the rest of us will be migrating eventually too.

So after all these years of being such a loyal Apple user you'll now switch everyone over to Windows on the strength of this promotion not being to your liking. Yeah of course you will and if you really are then four words for you.....

Good luck with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.