Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

august.jpg

CNet's Brian Tong has revealed on Twitter that "all new" next generation Mac Pros and Mac minis will arrive in late July or early August.
EXCLUSIVE: My sources tell me ALL NEW Next-Gen Mac Pros and Mac Minis will launch either end of July first week of August.
Tong previously accurately predicted the arrival of new iMacs in the "end of April or 1st week of May". The iMacs did arrive in the 1st week of May as predicted. Tong indicates his source for the Mac Pro and Mac Mini updates are the same as for the iMac updates.

No details are provided on the specs of the machines besides the expected incorporation of Thunderbolt and Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Article Link: New Mac Pros and Mac Minis Launching August

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This is impossible. Not happening.

Apple's only supposed to care about "iToys" and nothing else. They don't care about Macs anymore.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

GoldMan said:
Can i plug my own screen and etc. to the mac mini?

How else would you see what you're doing?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet the Mac Pro will be redesigned into a rack-mountable case. It's been a looooong time since a major redesign.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It should be noted that the LGA 2011 processors that the Mac Pros will use aren't scheduled for release until Q4, so Apple getting them 2 months early seems unlikely.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011

I bet the Mac Pro will be redesigned into a rack-mountable case. It's been a looooong time since a major redesign.

nearly 8 years

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Remove the optical drive bay, remove a couple PCIe slots, add a few Thunderbolt ports, add a couple 2.5" drive bays, and make everything SATA3. Shrink the size by half.

DannyBlizz

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Is it just me, or Apple doesn't seem to care about the MacBooks anymore. Those Machines are stock with a Core Dual Processor. I like the MacBooks a lot, due to the way it looks, but like I said, seems like Apple doesn't care about them anymore!

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
All-new next-gen Mac Pros? If by that, they mean a Mac Pro with a Thunderbolt connector and no Ivy Bridge, then yes. (i.e. the same Mac Pro, with a T-bolt)

No Ivy Bridge, no BD, no USB3... but with a Magic Trackpad option!

Apple releases Mac Pro upgrades in 18-20 month intervals these days. IT and workstations is dead to them.

After all their new OS supports that all-important IT and workstations feature: improved gestures, app store and launchpad. :rolleyes:

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I learned that an iMac 27 with i7 processor is NOT a replacement for Mac Pro. I'm looking forward to a faster Mac Pro with Thunderbolt.
My 2009 Mac Pro will go on sale as soon as the new models become available.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
So does this mean that Mini's and Pro's are released later than Lion, or that Lion will launch later than expected? (although, ofcourse, late july is still an option) Will MBA's be released along with Lion or with these machines?
Is there any significance in the fact that he said 'ALL NEW next-gen' instead of merely 'next-gen'?

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
This is impossible. Not happening.

Apple's only supposed to care about "iToys" and nothing else. They don't care about Macs anymore.

That's the current track record, Macs on maintenance upgrades (i.e. uninspired and minimal), but I for one always live in the hope that Apple wakes up from this iOS disaster (from the POV of a Mac user) and start treating the Macintosh like a tier one platform, worthy of all their attention.

Actually I'm just expecting minis and Mac Pros with T-bolts, and that's it. Nothing interesting, just maintenance. :cool:

Zeldain

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
It should be noted that the LGA 2011 processors that the Mac Pros will use aren't scheduled for release until Q4, so Apple getting them 2 months early seems unlikely.

How do you know Apple will use them? And how do you know Apple will not get them early?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Remove the optical drive bay, remove a couple PCIe slots, add a few Thunderbolt ports, add a couple 2.5" drive bays, and make everything SATA3. Shrink the size by half.

We already have MacBook Pro/Airs and Minis

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So does this mean that Mini's and Pro's are released later than Lion, or that Lion will launch later than expected? (although, ofcourse, late july is still an option) Will MBA's be released along with Lion or with these machines?

No, Lion is launching in July, as stated by the keynote and the website. If the new machines are launched in August, then yes, they're launching after Lion. At this point, there's no way of telling exactly what week the MBAs could land on. It could very well land on the same day as the Lion launch. But if all three machines get an update in the same timeframe, I'd say that's a pretty rare instance. There's only another time that I remember Apple doing that a few years back.

Is there any significance in the fact that he said 'ALL NEW next-gen' instead of merely 'next-gen'?

I think you're reading too much into it. ;)

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008

I think the aluminum (heatsink) look will remain, and the shape may change somewhat as it has in the past. The interior has been redesigned multiples times in the last 8-9 years. Maybe a 3U-4U width depending on the orientation of the ODD, no where near the depth of a server. Possibly a special server configuration with rail mounts instead of handles.... almost has me wanting one just thinking about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.