Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Millions of iPad buyers have already decided.

No they didn't they just took what they were given. Consumers are not creative enough to be in a position to decide anyting, that why they need both Steves to tell them "what's good for them". Sad.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
But how else can I have my restaurant's wine list take 2 minutes to load while you listen to elevator music?

with poorly coded HTML 4

or

with poorly coded HTML 5

or

with poorly coded Silverlight

etc.

(don't confuse bad programming with bad technology)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have used 4.5 beta, but haven't actually deployed to any iOS devices. I used it in the development of an app for the Blackberry Playbook.

The technology is great for developers that need an app to run on basically everything, as you can share your entire codebase with iOS/Android/BB and can even run it on the desktop, although you will have to create a separate interface as the mobile controls don't work well on the desktop.

It is great for subscription services that want to get on as many devices as possible as they no longer have to recode everything for the separate platforms. Of course you can already do this with web technologies like in the Netflix app which basically is just a web view.

The ultimate issue with tools like this is that you won't get awesome, custom tailored interfaces specific to your device like TweetBot. It can be done, but when you are designing pixel perfect interfaces it kind of defeats the purpose of being able to run on every device.

I don't really expect a lot of games to come from it as the performance was not that great. Ok for list based information apps like their stock app, but for anything more than a point-and-click adventure you will want native code.

Still nice to have new tools available, and to the end user as long as the app works well they won't really care whether it was written in Action Script or Objective-C.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Funny, the only thing that stands between Adobe and total glory is the performance aspect of their VM, or as they call it AVM. But still they just can't get that right no matter what they do. There are many other VM's out there, including JVM, that kick ass.

I totally like Adobe idea of programmable, interactive movies with great vector support, but they just can't nail down the performance.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
That's fantastic. I always wanted to build a "Hello World" iOS app. How much is this Flash Builder again? :rolleyes:

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
People sure get worked up whenever Flash is mentioned.

As a developer believe me when I point out:

* Developers don't care about the Flash debate directly one bit. It's about using tools that meet the needs of the project. All platforms, SDKs, IDEs, etc., have their advantages and disadvantages. It's hard enough to choose the best tools for the job, balancing short and long term requirements without thowing a lot of emontion into the decision. Flash is amost unbeatable in some areas, useless in others and somewhere in between in most. I won't even comment on Flex directly because I haven't used it.

* There are tons of misinformation in this area thrown about.

* The ability to develop apps using Flash will not reduce the quality of apps in the app store. Flash makes some things easy but releasing an app requires a lot of different skills. Flash only makes a few of them so easy "anybody" could do it. You're still going to need developer skills to release apps. There are tons of crap now and a small percentage of good to great apps. That's not going to change.

The problem is arises when script kiddies/web designers get the idea that they too can be app developers thanks to the magical WYSIWYG Adobe products... And I'm sure Adobe isn't too eager to set the score straight in that respect.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
I agree with you.

Have a look at this and tell me what's ordinary about it:

http://machinarium.net

That game is made with Flash, it runs on OS X (and can even be purchased in the Mac AppStore), Linux and Windows and if Steve Jobs would listen to reason, stuff like this could also run just as easily on your fancy little iGadgets. At least now, thanks to Adobe and not thanks to Apple, there is a way for developers and designers to also port their great work to your crippled iPads and iPhones.

By the way, Flash 10.3 runs extraordinarily well on the Samsung Galaxy S2. I don't know why His Steveness is brainwashing everybody to believe that Flash performs poorly on phones. But then again, the S2 runs with an OS that was NOT designed to restrict its users and it also has a fully featured web browser.

I agree with you, and I fully support your method of argument. I, also, find that interspersing random comments with snide little jabs is an effective way to persuade others to my point of view. Some people's contribution to this forum is mainly a masturbatory I'm-better-than-you-because-I-have-clarity-of-vision-and-you-don't.

But you and I know that it's important to consider others' arguments and engage in a rational discussion.

Before I read your post, about 10 minutes ago, I was a full fledged Apple acolyte. But then I read "listen to reason" and "fancy little iGadgets". I shivered with the realization that I may be wrong. Stumbling on to "crippled iPads" and "His Steveness" was like climbing a mountain of truth. When I reached "brainwashing" and "fully featured web browser" I simultaneously cried and threw away my iPad, iPod Touch, and iMac.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
what unique features?

The APIs specific to the OS that the developers use. Apple adds hundreds of them every update. Adobe Adobe won't be able to make their tools work consistent across every platform because many APIs are unique to specific platforms and so developers will have to make shortcuts and cut back on use of certain APIs and advanced features that don't exist on other platforms or are hard to represent across each one.

This is the problem with all cross platform solutions. That's why iTunes doesn't work as well on Windows compared to Mac and why Microsoft Office on Mac suffers compared to Microsoft Office on Windows. The OS is different and so coding the same features on different OSs is far more difficult than you probably realize. If these large companies have problems with this, how well do you think Adobe and small developers are going to be able to cope?

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Flash is like an after-though house built in a park, around a pre-existing public toilet. And every year you add a new room.

I'll take a platform that was thought out as a whole, big picture-scale, from the drawing board, any day.

But then again, I only coded games in C on a machine with 512 MB RAM.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
oh

oh flash, how great its is to hear about your continuation, what would i do without hearing my mac heat up to 175 degrees to display a banner ad

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll judge each app on it's usability, interface quality, performance, and battery life.

Which is to say, it will be fine for (some) games. Not for conventional apps, which need native controls.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The problem is arises when script kiddies/web designers get the idea that they too can be app developers thanks to the magical WYSIWYG Adobe products... And I'm sure Adobe isn't too eager to set the score straight in that respect.

I really think there will be no problem. Mainly because various iOS app engines have been around for years so this changes nothing. I'm not saying there won't be crappy Flash apps developed by people who should not be developing apps. There will be. But it won't be at any greater rate than crappy apps were developed previously. LOL, a while ago a non-developer friend of mine wanted to get in on developing iOS apps. He knew some HTML and Javascript so his idea was to develop it using those and wrap it in a web control to make it "native". I agreed to help him with the wrapper if he could get the basic features of his app running in Safari. Needless to say, he was never able to take me up on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I think the well deserved criticism of Adobe has made them start to improve their products.

The other day my computer fan was running non-stop and activity viewer showed it to be some adobe app using a very large percent of the CPU.

I found the offensive file in the system library. It was a "self repairing" feature of Adobe's and there were two versions. The older version was the culprit. I don't know how I got an older version of the file there.

In the process of trying to find the file, I came across this insane discussion about it on the Adobe help forum. People were upset because they couldn't disable this problem file. The self repair feature would restore it. The Adobe rep on the forum couldn't understand why people were upset about the posted procedure that involved using the terminal to edit the code in the file. The people on the thread felt this should be much easier to turn off from the preferences. The Adobe rep kept pointing to the posted terminal fix with this arrogant attitude. All his responses suggested he was asking "what is the big deal?"

Anyway that was an old forum. The new file doesn't seem to have this problem and I believe Adobe must have eventually made it easier now to remove as simply deleting the file was enough.

Its no wonder Flash was not allowed on iOS as it was a resource hog. It looks like Apple's scrutiny is making Adobe better.

The better web designers include non-Flash sites anyway. It is poor etiquette not too.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
I really think there will be no problem. Mainly because various iOS app engines have been around for years so this changes nothing. I'm not saying there won't be crappy Flash apps developed by people who should not be developing apps. There will be. But it won't be at any greater rate than crappy apps were developed previously. LOL, a while ago a non-developer friend of mine wanted to get in on developing iOS apps. He knew some HTML and Javascript so his idea was to develop it using those and wrap it in a web control to make it "native". I agreed to help him with the wrapper if he could get the basic features of his app running in Safari. Needless to say, he was never able to take me up on that.

You may be right regarding Unity and Flex, but the whole point of exporting iOS apps from the Flash Professional IDE is so that non-devs can draw their timeline-based sprite animations on the GUI.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Sounds like Adobe has spared no expense to make 10.3 suck less. "His Steveness" has no incentive to wait several major releases out for Adobe to 'get it right'. I will say that on XP, I see my browser complain regularly about the Flash plugin crashing. I for one can't wait to enjoy that experience on my iPad 2.

I will say that Flash on my Tivo Premiere is dog slow. I am sure this embedded form of Flash isn't yet synced up with the improvements that came with 10.3, but given how much coffee I've been able to brew while enjoying Tivo's glorious HDUI written in Flash, I can hardly fault anyone having naughty thoughts about Flash running on a PHONE when I could launch my own Starbuck's franchise with all of the wait states generated by my Flash-based DVR.

Oh yeah, Tivo says they can't enable that second core either thanks to the fine engineering of Flash on Linux. Wish Tivo's execs had some of His Steveness' caution before basing their entire new Series 4 UI architecture on Flash technology. It's not been good.

This builds out native iOS apps, not Flash wrapped in some disguise.

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
This builds out native iOS apps, not Flash wrapped in some disguise.

You know just a thought - it would be nice to see an Android app versus a flash app for Android run toe to toe to get benchmarks on power/resources/speed etc. I say Android since well you know Flash not running on iOS etc...

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
You know just a thought - it would be nice to see an Android app versus a flash app for Android run toe to toe to get benchmarks on power/resources/speed etc. I say Android since well you know Flash not running on iOS etc...

Not long time ago, there was a debate on whether the apps built with the Flash Packager were being 100% compiled into an ARM instructions + resources bundle (akin to what Xcode does), or if the binary instead consisted of
1)A small, ARM-native Flash interpreter (Virtual Machine) and
2)A 'payload' .swf script.

Which one was true? I find it difficult to believe the Flash Tool is resolving all (most?) of the AS3 calls into Cocoa, in any consistent and efficient way.

Then again, Unity3D forces dlls, C# and Garbage Collection down your throat.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Lack of credibility

"The reaction from developers to the new mobile capabilities in Flash Builder 4.5 and the Flex 4.5 framework has been absolutely fantastic," said Ed Rowe, vice president of developer tooling, Adobe

It is amazing to me that marketing people fail to realize just how non-credible statements like this are. Bling, glits, Flash. As normal.

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If it's "cross-platform" then that means NONE of the UNIQUE FEATURES of iOS will be usable in these conversions. Otherwise, the conversion would not work on Android and Blackberry.

Hence, Apple's argument the first time. Apps wll be "ordinary" leading users to feel that it is iOS that is simply "ordinary."

There ought to be a disclaimer for these Apps.

Agreed, except in the case of (some) games. Games and “graphics toys” can get away with quirky UIs (in fact, that’s often part of the fun) and they don’t all necessarily need access to specific hardware or OS features—and I expect Adobe can and will support (some of) those specific things anyway.

Now, Game Center fans may not care for this! But a dev can most likely custom-program GC support in Xcode anyway, so that’s still not necessarily a deal-breaker. We’ll have to see how that plays out in practice.

I certainly agree that we don’t need non-game apps that don’t use proper iOS bounce-scrolling, proper toggles/popovers/reels/buttons, proper touch hit areas, auto-save/resume, voiceover support, etc. (and there’s no way Adobe’s going to support all the million things like that that make the iOS experience unique and great).

In other words, nobody wants a bunch of apps that feel open source :eek: But reviews and wallets will address that just fine (since those kind of apps have always existed) so... I welcome this new tool, and might even use it to make a simple game some day!

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Good news for consumers. If a dev is more comfortable creating their app with another tool or what have you, they should be allowed to use that tool to create their app and sell it on the App Store.

We will get more apps, it will be easier for devs to get apps on multiple platforms, and allows for more choice in the market rather than a dev having to decide which platform to code for.

Glad apple pulled their head out of their ass on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.