Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely believed to be set to introduce new Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Air models in the very near future, with a variety of sources over the past few months having pegged the refresh for a June-July timeframe. One recent report has claimed that Apple is holding the MacBook Air release until OS X Lion is ready to go, meaning that a release would apparently occur sometime in July.

Detailed specs on the new models have yet to appear, although they will almost certainly include the new Thunderbolt connectivity standard being pushed forward by Apple and be based on Intel's Sandy Bridge platform, a significant enhancement over the Core 2 Duo platform used in the current MacBook Airs.

colorware_black_macbook_air.jpg

Black MacBook Air from ColorWare
Over the past week, we've received several anonymous tips claiming that at least some models of the next-generation MacBook Air will be be available with a black finish, different from the aluminum case used on the current MacBook Air and most of Apple's other Macs. The most specific of the claims suggests that a black anodized aluminum case would be available on a top-end MacBook Air model, in much the same way as Apple once offered a high-end black MacBook on top of the standard white offerings.

We are unable to confirm the rumors of a black MacBook Air option at this time, but with multiple sources having now reported the claim to us in recent days, we've decided to at least share it for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Next-Generation MacBook Air to Include Black Option?

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Air would look sweet in Black!

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
the MBA rumor mill is killing me, can we at least expect an announcement some time soon? I've been waiting to get a MBA for almost two months now :(

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I would be surprised. Also, I personally don't like the black option (that is so last century)

... but I guess everybody has a different taste and some might like it. Hope they keep the current color at least as on option.

The current model is just beautiful and needs no change - does not feel old (yet).

LordTyroxx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I can see the apple advertisements now.

"black has never been so slimming"

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Very doubtful.

While I would dig an all black MBA (or any Apple product, for that matter) it's just not happening. Yet.
Upgraded processor & Thunderbolt is all I expect... with fingers firmly crossed for a backlit keyboard - the most glaring omission form the most recent redesign which is actually keeping me from purchasing. I mean, once you've had backlit keys, it seems counterintuitive to go back.

Esquire1

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
Anodized black aluminum would be brilliant. So much nicer than the tacky aluminum chassis currently used.

Asatar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Would be pretty cool! Personally I'd rather they just remove the aluminium bezel and make it black like on the rest of their computer range....

dleblanc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Backlit Keyboard

Forget black (they look so much better in aluminum - they start looking like a PC when they are black), I want a backlit keyboard!

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
the only time I will believe when a new MBA is coming out is when the supply line gets constrained. Then you know there is one coming within 2 weeks or so.

until then, let the rumors fly

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I reckon theres more chance of the MacBook going back to black but id still love to see a black Air
That's making the presumption that the base MacBook doesn't quietly disappear. It's been too long since an update and it's too close in price to the 13" MacBook Pro to be worthwhile buying considering how much better the MBP is over the MB.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Looking at the Buyer's Guide and the amount of time since the MacBook was updated and thinking about this rumor, I wonder if it's possible that the MacBook line and MacBook Air line will be rolled together with a black MacBook Air harkening back to the black MacBook.

A black MacBook Air could probably be perfectly camouflaged among a bunch of black 3 ring binders on a bookshelf.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Would definitely get black over the regular aluminum.
I would have to see how they actually look in person. But the black could be very tempting. And it also depends on how I feel about the screen differences between that and the MBP when I go buy my next laptop.

This is presuming that the Air does go to Sandy Bridge as everything points to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.