Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I cried for Macs in the same colors as the iPod Nano some time ago, but black would be my favorite. Even if it only ships with the 13" i7-2677M (1.8GHz w/ 2.9GHz Turbo) for exorbitant $1.699, I still want to get my hands on one of those. I don't even know myself why I consider buying something that offers inferior specs than the 13" MacBook Pro for $500 more. Maybe because it matches the turtleneck's color :rolleyes:

Last edited:

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
BlackBook Air? Would be a huge seller. If this is true, expect two things:

1) Backlit keyboard (otherwise keys would vanish in the blackness)
2) Black MBP option

The Blackbook had black keys and black body, but it didn't have backlit keyboard. I guess Apple is reserving the backlit keyboard for the pro line.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Black aluminium? I dunno. I'd prefer carbon fibre.

Right.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't black aluminum, when scratched, yield a silver (aluminum) scratch? I want to say I had a colored aluminum Sony Minidisc recorder that when scratched, yielded thin silver scratches. Looked pretty bad, pretty quick.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
MacAir

Shiny black would be cool, but go with something totally unexpected -
like a sharp plum color:cool:

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Interesting idea I guess.

I wonder how black anodized aluminum does with finger prints.

It would really look nice with a backlit keyboard.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It's just the issue of Intel 3000 HD graphics. No matter what they do (literally ANYTHING), if it's got that card in it, it's a no-go until Ivy Bridge. Lastly, if you think it's just as good as the 320m, try using both on semi-intensive (nothing crazy though) programs and then tell me what you think. They ARE NOT equal. They're just not. 320m is better. Fix that, or wait. :)

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Interesting idea I guess.

I wonder how black anodized aluminum does with finger prints.

It would really look nice with a backlit keyboard.

Assuming it's the same slightly textured surface, they won't show up much -- they show up much more on glossy surfaces.

I don't understand why so many people want backlit keys, though. Touch typing isn't that hard.

I'm honestly not sure whether I'd prefer black anodized or plain aluminum -- I'm a big fan of black, but I like the bare metal too, plus it would match my last two computers. :)

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
<Looks at MacBook Air on desk>
<Looks at tin of black paint in garage>
<Has idea>
:cool:

I always did love the blackBook, and have been tempted to Colorware my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air black... just never actually got round to it!

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
It's just the issue of Intel 3000 HD graphics. No matter what they do (literally ANYTHING), if it's got that card in it, it's a no-go until Ivy Bridge. Lastly, if you think it's just as good as the 320m, try using both on semi-intensive (nothing crazy though) programs and then tell me what you think. They ARE NOT equal. They're just not. 320m is better. Fix that, or wait. :)

thats why JRB I'm snapping up 11 inchers with 4/64 and installing 360/480 OWC SSD's in em for sale to friends:cool: I can't do em fast enough, and the FEDEX guy, hates the remote location of my house:p

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
The black mockup makes it look like a bad idea - the way the trackpad stands out it looks like -it- is backlit. The old black MacBook looked good and had its matte casing over the shininess of the white one, even if that cost $150 to get lol. Hopefully they wouldn't pull the same thing again if the Air went black.

Personally I hope this doesn't go ahead, and I hope they don't add the backlit keyboard, it is so nice not having it. At least it doesn't have the light sensor of the MBPs, the combination is even more of a pain. I'd rather have the extra assignable F-key any day.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
The black mockup makes it look like a bad idea - the way the trackpad stands out it looks like -it- is backlit. The old black MacBook looked good and had its matte casing over the shininess of the white one, even if that cost $150 to get lol. Hopefully they wouldn't pull the same thing again if the Air went black.

Personally I hope this doesn't go ahead, and I hope they don't add the backlit keyboard, it is so nice not having it. At least it doesn't have the light sensor of the MBPs, the combination is even more of a pain. I'd rather have the extra assignable F-key any day.

Its a custom image by Colorware. Funny though, people opt for more, you want less. To each their own I guess.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Its a custom image by Colorware. Funny though, people opt for more, you want less. To each their own I guess.

I know, but still I can't imagine their doing a black glass trackpad somehow so it would probably be like that. Actually that's odd on my part, the White has a glass pad now hmmm.

As for the rest, I've used that extra F-key more times than I ever intentionally used my bl keyboard on my '08 MBP - read since boot camp allowed turning it off, never. And the light sensor just means you don't want to lean over the machine. Stuff like brightness I'd rather be in control of myself, same goes on iOS, I just don't trust it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Mba in black looks nice too, and could be done easily. Why powder coat? It's aluminum, why dont use color anodizing for that purpose? Durable, uniform and can provide extra hardness to the surface too. Make it even more resist to scratch or dent. Powder coat on aluminum? Why? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.