Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I wouldn't want to buy a 2,000$ tv every time some new software feature I want comes out. That's the main reason I like the set top box idea.

Essentially every hardware product that Apple makes has update-able firmware. Why do you think Apple would produce a $2k TV that doesn't have update-able firmware?

I couldn't imagine what a full TV remote would look like if apple had a say. Sure Apple TV remotes work because the OS is designed around them. Might be a cool way to integrate some touch into the remote that's actually useful....but with real buttons!

One possibility is that Apple would provide a simple remote like the current one for Apple TV but push users toward an iPhone/iPad app with fuller functionality.

PLasma? you must be kidding. LED or LCD yes but plasma No

That reference is to an article from 2006, when plasmas were more predominant at the higher end of the market than they are now.

TVs with an Apple TV dock or ones that supported video AirPlay would make a lot more sense.

Why do you think Apple would only do one or the other? I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple license AirPlay to TV manufacturers whether there is an Apple-branded TV or not.

Last edited:

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Will it require extra dongle to connect to different things? Will it have a extra glossy screen? :D

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Essentially every hardware product that Apple makes has update-able firmware. Why do you think Apple would produce a $2k TV that doesn't have update-able firmware?

Yap, but no firmware upgrade can make a device intended to play only 720p H.264 MP play 1080p H.264 HP if the hardware can't do that

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Blow Netflix away?

I agree, the best way to “blow Netflix away,” with that service’s massive selection, is Apple’s existing solution: bundle Netflix support!

Perhaps it would be something of a Cinema display but featuring a built in Apple TV

Although, typically, a TV has lower image quality—especially DPI—making it cheaper than a quality computer monitor of the same size (but less suitable for conventional computing).

So an existing 27” LED Cinema Display with 2560x1440 (much more than HD) could be expensive overkill in the living room. A lower-image-quality, but larger-diagonal, screen sounds more sensible.

(Although I’m skeptical of this rumor anyway, unless it’s just more “hobby” experimentation. Apple already has a box that works pretty painlessly with existing TVs, after all. And a TV is decor; it’s furniture. Some would love the style and size Apple offered, but Apple’s product just couldn’t fit with every setting. And that limits the market.)

Last edited:

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Not in my house

There may be a market for apple to sell such an integrated TV to, but not my house. I don't mind buying a new $99 AppleTV every other year when the hardware needs refreshing (faster chips, more memory, faster video processing), but I'm not going to buy a new 52" TV screen every other year. And I don't want to get stuck when the technology is changing so fast each year.

Jim

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Trump em all

All they really have to do is take the Apple TV and add an HDMI pass through input to it, so that they way you hook it up is _between_ your regular cable TV box and the TV. Normally, it is just a pass through, but when it is time to show something on the Apple TV (for example AirPlay-ing something to it from your iPad) it takes over the TV without you having to switch anything.

In the current scheme, the Apple TV is a second input device. Changing it as above moves it not only to the first tier, but it actually trumps the old first tier device (cable) by being able to cut into it at will.

Selling actual TVs is not a winning strategy. There are too many screen sizes, too many display technologies to maintain. Don't take over the display itself, take over the main input to the display.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Perhaps it would be something of a Cinema display but featuring a built in Apple TV

This.

Apple already makes "TV's". A refresh of the Cinema Display line with larger sizes and built in AppleTV's would essentially launch Apple into the TV market.

Another option would be for Apple to partner with existing TV makers and build AppleTV chips into those. Televisions don't have a high profit margin because they're so expensive to transport and warehouse and feature expensive components. Allowing existing manufacturers to take on that burden while still promoting Apple's ecosystem is a win-win.

In expanding the adoption of AppleTV by bundling it into other manufacturer's tv's, Apple would benefit in the sale of iOS devices like iPads and iPhones and in iTunes sales.

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

"Subsidized set-top boxes have squashed innovation because no one wants to pay for separate boxes...ask TiVo, Roku, us, Google in a few months. The set-top box needs to be torn up and redesigned to get people things they way they want them."

I agree about it being a pain to buy a separate box, especially for multiple TVs, but I have to say I live the apple tv 2.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
IPS tech would be wonderful coupled with ultra high resolution and they've got good chances.

russellb

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
problem

Plasma .. are you joking ... big , heavy, hot .... LCD or LED is the future .. sorry plasma.

I love my Apple TV and I dont see why Apple would want to turn a TV into a sudo itunes / Apple TV.

I would much much rather see a small $99 box revamped and updated so I could plug it into the TV , or in my case my 8ft HD projector wall screen !!!

I dont see the sense in Apple getting into TV's. The current Apple TV fits ANY household no matter what their TV or projector choice. If they get into actual TV's how many sizes are they going to have to stock to keep everyone happy .. I just cant see the point.

Every 2 years when you could happily go and buy the next greatest updated $99 Apple TV but if you had an actual "Apple LCD TV" it is out of date and people aren't going to go upgrade their TV every couple of years.

I dont see it happening.

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Black & White

I think Apple will come out with a typically artsy Black & White only TV... but have problems producing White and have a Black only set for the first year.

Jim

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Yap, but no firmware upgrade can make a device intended to play only 720p H.264 MP play 1080p H.264 HP if the hardware can't do that

But that's not because it's an Apple TV. That's true of any 720P TV.

I'm not saying Apple will come out with one TV model and never improve the specs in future updates. I'm just saying if you don't want to buy an Apple-branded TV, it shouldn't be because you're worried that you'll have to buy a new one to get software improvements.

Apple typically makes software improvements backward compatible up to the point that the software improvements don't function well with older hardware/processors.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
This would be one Apple product I'd pass on. I like to keep my TVs for at least 3 years, ideally 5. IOS devices older than about 2 years are either not supported or painfully slow so I wouldn't trust Apple with such a substantial investment. A phone is one thing but a $$$$ television is another. Besides which, I doubt Apple would go with Plasma tech which is the only way aside from projectors to get large sized TVs and having bought a 64" Sammy a couple of months ago, I wouldn't go any smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.