Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

According to Digitimes, Apple's notebook supply chain will "run in full gear starting" in July in order to meet production of the new MacBook Air models. Apple is said to be expecting to take delivery of over 8 million* MacBook Airs in the 3rd quarter. According to Digitimes, this represents a doubling over the previous quarter.
Shipments of parts and components for MacBook lineups totaled an equivalent of 2.2-2.4 million MacBooks in June, and orders for July are likely to top 2.7-2.8 million units, said the sources, noting that the increase is in line with Apple's previous strategy to ramp up deliveries prior to the launch of new products.
The sources also reaffirmed what has been expected -- that the new MacBook Air will feature OS X Lion and support for the Thunderbolt interface.

Note that this contradicts previous rumors that Apple had already ramped up MacBook Air production. The July ramp-up seems more likely if you are to believe that the MacBook Air will ship with OS X Lion. OS X Lion has not yet seen a final Golden Master build yet. In order to pre-install OS X Lion on MacBook Airs, Apple would presumably have to hit this milestone. Note that separately we have heard that Apple is tentatively targeting the 3rd week of July for the MacBook Air launch, but that this date could always change.

*Update: Digitimes' 8 million MacBook Air Q3 estimate is questionable since this represents twice as many Macs (all kinds) Apple shipped in Q2 2011, casting doubt on the specifics of this report.

Article Link: Apple Ramping Up New MacBook Air Production in July [Update]

Last edited by a moderator:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Can’t wait. By the way, I know there are people (like me!) who are disappointed that the Air lost the lighted keyboard (for size, price, power, who knows). But there’s a test you should try on a lighted-keyboard Mac sometime:

1. Darken the room completely. Even turn the screen itself down almost to off.

2. Turn the key lights off completely. You won’t be able to see the letters anymore! When unlit they are gray (not even white) and that just can’t be seen well on a black key in near-darkness.

3. BUT notice that you can still see the silver aluminum spaces between the keys just fine. The key-shapes are clearly visible, because metallic silver reflects even a little bit of screen light.

The good news: the current Airs don’t have gray-on-black letters like the ones on the lighted keyboards. They have metallic silver letters, and are MUCH easier to see than the old keys when unlit.

And they achieve visibility with no power usage, so in some ways it’s an improvement. Just not as cool :)

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Number of units are still possible with lowered price of MBA, MB ...

i still think there will be some price adjustment - that is the reason Free iPod touch promotion is cut for students .

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Backlit keyboard is cool but I'd really like to have optical audio out in the headphone jack.

I'd also like a pony.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Here's hoping for backlit keyboard also! +SB, +Thunderbolt, +Retina display, whoops did I say that?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
With the volume Apple will be expecting to sell (huge to be specific) they should not have too much heartburn over putting in a backlit keyboard and making 4GB RAM as standard.

With the SSD it doesn't make as huge difference with 2GB RAM when the Air is swapping out memory but it still does become sluggish a little quite too easily.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I hope the display is updated along with the Air.

I hope the new Air has a backlit keyboard.

I hope there is an option for a matte screen.

I hope eventually APPLE will ship MacBook AIR :eek:

That was actually really funny to read. It was almost like an improv everywhere sketch or something ;) .

On that note, my hope is they have proper production levels to meet the demand. I am set to buy a newer Mac Laptop, I want something smaller than my 15", and iHope™ it is priced well to boot!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This 8 million MacBook Air estimate is questionable since this represents twice as many Macs (all kinds) Apple shipped in Q2 2011, casting doubt on the specifics of this report.

Maybe Apple plans on a steep price drop that will greatly increase MBA sales volume. Apple has a huge economy of scale to keep manufacturing cost down at nearly netbook levels.

I hope there is an option for a matte screen.

Done. The MBA display is already much closer to the MBP matte display than any glossy display. I use my MBA during the day with my back to a large picture window. No problems.

Last edited:

wingfaith

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
I just wish apple offers more colors for it's users. Sure keeping the color consistent is a good symbol for what the company represents, but lately, i've been seeing way too much alum mbp and it's just annoying. No originality at all, same old designs. No matter how good the design is, too much of anything is never good...

brandnewfunk

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
I just wish apple offers more colors for it's users. Sure keeping the color consistent is a good symbol for what the company represents, but lately, i've been seeing way too much alum mbp and it's just annoying. No originality at all, same old designs. No matter how good the design is, too much of anything is never good...

so u'd like to see like colored/tinted aluminum? or abandon the aluminum altogether for another material that allows for diff colors?

diff colors might be fresh. ..

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I actually don't mind glossy and would like to see glass on the MBA, as it is so easy to clean and more durable. I can see the problem if you use it outside--my MBP with glass is almost impossible to use outside. But even with a matte screen it's not a great experience using it outside anyhow, and I never do use mine outside, except for the odd occasion, which has been so infrequent I didn't mind the squinting. I think the durability and the cleaning ability make up for the glare.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Thunderbolt would likely mean Target Disk Mode for the first time on a Macbook Air. Very important on a sealed onboard Solid State Hard Drive machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.