Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video promoting a theretofore unreleased Skype for iPad app and demonstrates a stylish interface and video chat capabilities. The video, allegedly posted to Skype's YouTube channel and then quickly removed, was captured by Twitter user @trackizmy1 and reposted by RazorianFly.

Skype for iPhone supports voice chat, voice calling, and instant messaging but does not include a native iPad client, instead running in pixel doubled mode.

Article Link: Native Skype Client Bringing Video Chat to iPad?

Last edited by a moderator:

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
I've pretty much given up on Skype. I mean, by now they should surely have an iPad version of their app. Also, have you seen Skype 5? It's horrendous.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Welcome but as usual with Skype, way late. What do you expect, they were bought by M$, right?

nfora

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
10 minutes ago I was checking for any recent rumours about this. Awesome.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
I'd accept this is as excellent evidence that a native Skype client is coming.
Looks like the Skype for iPad development team has a great grasp of Core Animation transitions and iPad GUI conventions. I like it.

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I don't have an iPad, but it does not surprise me one bit that it's taken Skype so long to release an iPad version of their video calling capabilities. I've given up on skype as well. I use facetime every time now and I avoid Skype wherever possible because they've proven to be a POS company that doesn't want to keep up with the latest and greatest. I think they'll be extinct within the next 2 years unless they do something. And that something is as simple as keeping their iOS applications up to date and free.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
It would be nice if they would make Facetime open to everyone (Windows, Android, etc). I only use skype for video calling and I think Facetime is much more reliable in my experience. Plus better quality.

Mad Man

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
This is what I was waiting for .... I almost gave up hope after MS bought Skype ... I can reach all my friends/family on skype, but only half of them on FaceTime.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Video would be welcome! I’d use it occasionally for video-to-PC purposes.

Has there ever been a definitive answer on whether iPhone Skype draws down your battery in the background if you’re simply “available” to receive calls?

I’ve seen a handful of convincing posts around the web (and on Skype’s blog) in either direction. Some say Skype doesn’t use push notification to receive a call; instead the app must actually remain running (using battery and RAM). Others deny that (and I hope they’re right), or they (incorrectly) say iOS has no way to receive a call notification if the app isn’t running. (iOS does have a background VOIP ability, but that’s important when IN a call. Not necessary just to get invitations/notifications before VOIP is active.)

True of false? Is this a fire or only smoke? Was this a real problem but later patched? I don’t use Skype enough to know first-hand or test easily, but I’d still like to leave myself “available” full-time just in case someone ever wants to Skype me.

Closing the Skype app in the switcher bar and seeing if you can still receive a call would be the test, I suppose. I can still get Meebo chat requests without Meebo running, and then Meebo launches when the communication is accepted. I’m hoping Skype works the same! No need for it to be running when you’re NOT communicating.

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I hate how slow skype are to incorporate new features, like simple things such as multitasking and retina display it took them 6 months to release an update with these features, also something like videochatting it took them 8 months to release the update, now with the whole thing for the ipad its been 3 months since the ipad 2 was released, i guess theyre starting to improve their release dates.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Seeing as the original iPhone Skype team couldn't bring out a client for 3G for what seemed like forever, I'm surprised that the iPad version looks as nice as it does.

Firen

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Vienna, Austria
Now if Facebook for iPad looks anywhere as good as this (at least if they actually release an iPad version like it is rumored), then I am a very happy little iPad user.

I wish my grandma had an iPad 2 and not an iPad 1 so that she could skype with the rest of the family via camera :/

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would be nice if they would make Facetime open to everyone (Windows, Android, etc). I only use skype for video calling and I think Facetime is much more reliable in my experience. Plus better quality.

That's the plan. FaceTime will be licensable for use in other applications. Not sure what the holdup is, though.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I truly hope Skype goes bankrupt and dies. I also hope that they either get eaten by Microsoft or that they get sued by some rich company and lose all their money.

*** Skype. Piece of **** software!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Using Skype on iPad 2? Sure...

As a matter of fact, using the Skype application from the iPhone, you can already do Skype video calls with the iPad 2. Works fine - even under 3G. The big advantage is that the menus are not pixely any more and all the other features a phone app cannot have. But who ever thought they have to wait for this app to have an alternative to Facetime is wrong: Skype phone app does that since the beginning with the iPad 2.
As a matter of fact, since Skype does not bother about what connection is used, I never use Facetime. My sister has an iPhone as well. How would I know if she is on WiFi? And why should I bother about if she is or not? I just use Skype and ring her and we can video chat. :D

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
ive given up on skype for mac as i get backtalk, feedback and all sorts of things. has had problems since a few versions before 5.0 and going into 5.0 now. it works nice on iphone. going with my gf to get a mac in an hour so facetime it is. i will still use skype for my friends without a mac. skype for ipad would be welcome as it could replace skype 5 on my mac.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
That's the plan. FaceTime will be licensable for use in other applications. Not sure what the holdup is, though.

It was mentioned once, a year ago, in Jobs' original presentation. And not one peep since then.

I would not be holding my breath.

As to the original comment: I'd give the credit for FaceTime's reliability/quality to Apple's polish and attention to detail, more than I would the underlying technology.

Even if it were open or licensable, and others could make interoperable applications with Apple's blessings, I doubt they'd work as smoothly as Apple-to-Apple FaceTime calls. (Fear of this scenario and how it might negatively reflect on FaceTime could be something that led Apple to reconsider its initial "open standard" stance.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.