Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SMALL-IMG_0060.png

Early Beta screenshot​
Bungie has posted on their official blog an interview with iOS developer Daniel Blezek who has been working on porting Marathon to the iPad. Blezek has been working on this project for some time but there were initially questions about the legal issue of related to distributing Marathon's original level packs.

Based on notes from the interview, however, it seems that this is now a Bungie-sanctioned port.
For many, Marathon will invoke a wave of nostalgia; for others, this will be the first experience with the seminal Mac FPS. I hope all players appreciate Bungie's commitment to their fans. It's not every company who would support bringing a 16 year old game back to life!
Marathon is a first person shooter developer by Bungie Software for the Macintosh in 1994. It was a Mac exclusive launch and was released shortly after Doom was first released for the PC. Bungie later went on to be acquired by Microsoft and released the popular Halo game series for the Xbox. Halo was originally developed for the Mac as well, but the release was delayed after Microsoft's acquisition.

The iPad version of the game has reportedly been submitted and will be released for free.

Article Link: Bungie's Marathon Officially Coming to iPad

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
If they get this out for iPad, I would love to see Oni get out. That was one game that was rushed out too fast. The surge in anime interest in the USA could really turn Oni into what it should have been in the first place.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
If they get this out for iPad, I would love to see Oni get out. That was one game that was rushed out too fast. The surge in anime interest in the USA could really turn Oni into what it should have been in the first place.

I wonder how this is impacting any new stuff they are working on...

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
All I can say is...THIS IS HUGE!!! I still fire up Marathon on my old iMac DV now and then. My love from middle school returns!

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I remember me and my friend playing this game in a dark room with the sound through a big amp... When those aliens suddenly appeared behind us we used to scream like little girls :D

classic!

Dctape

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Wow!

I feel like I should download it, study for an hour for finals, then brush off the rest of the night playing while hopped up on Mtn. Dew and gummy bears! Just like old times!

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
If they were smart they would re-release it for the Mac via the App Store. Along with it's sequels which if I recall did have primitive and quite slow online play. I'd play the HELL outta that game.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've never played Marathon and they didn't port the first game onto DOS/Windows. Would it be worth getting a copy of the game? I have an old iMac running Mac OS 9, assuming it runs on that.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Always had a soft-spot for Marathon, it being the first FPS video game that I ever played. On top of that, it also had a compelling story which was very unusual for its day and something that made it well ahead of its time. I'll definitely give this a go, but my only concern is that controls for FPS games on iPad generally stink. Hopefully they offer enough customization options to alleviate that.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple could help more

"It's not every company who would support bringing a 16 year old game back to life!"

Apple could help with this.

The modern hardware is plenty powerful enough to run all the old software in emulation mode. Apple could provide emulation of everything right back to the Apple I computer. This would require no effort on the developer's part and virtually all software would then run fine.

Apple could go even further for most software and offer cross compilation. This could be done at the developer level for developers who want to tweak and improve. This could also be done at the user machine level the first time you run a program. Cross compiled would make it even faster than just-in-time-compiled or emulated.

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

*LTD* said:
FINALLY.

An FPS series actually worth playing. The series had a permanent home on my PowerPC 6100/60.

I love this website:

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/

That site's a life's work!!

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

I don't think they own the rights to Oni. I wouldn't mind them trying to get the rights back but I'm more interested in them starting something new (and hopefully it isn't a Halo style FPS).

Oh, related to Halo...I think it is pretty funny that the iOS Halo clone got ported over to Mac the other day and Bungie releases a Halo app for iOS. It's funky reverse week!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.