Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
oni

If they get this out for iPad, I would love to see Oni get out. That was one game that was rushed out too fast. The surge in anime interest in the USA could really turn Oni into what it should have been in the first place.

oni needs an update for sure. That was a great game.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
God how I loved Marathon when it first came out. Sucked up more free time than I care to admit.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
My Centris 650 had trouble in Fullscreen... I remember being envious of my friends' Quadras and Performas.

Then I got a G3 and it was on :cool:

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
How about some Myth II love? Nice Bungie. We be nice to them if they be nice to us.

AoxomoxoA

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I had 2 copies which meant 4 serial numbers from Bungie that I got for a great deal at a Macworld show back then. I wired up my office with Appletalk so we could play multiplayer free-for-all matches every afternoon after work.

Best map ever... 'Better than Sex'

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Probably my best memory of one of my first full-time jobs was when my boss (and this was his main redeeming quality) got fed up with work and would go, screw it, lets play Marathon!

For a while I was the only one who knew where the rocket launcher was hidden. Not many people get the chance to take their frustration out on their boss by exploding him into a million tiny pieces. :D Good memories!

jseg2005

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Great Idea

Having been born in the technology age, Marathon was the first video game I ever played. When my parents bought the first tower PPC I used (We had several before that but it was the first I could remember) we bought Marathon and the original Warcraft. This game was great, and I look forward to having another game on my iPad just for nostalgic purposes, although I will probably never have time to play all the way through. Just like Altered Beast by Sega...

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Awesome memory jolt. Durandal, the Phfor, and of course the suicide BoBs! And the mysterious Marine!:)

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Free?

Did I just read that right? FREE???

This gem of a game will be mine. OH YES - it will be mine.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Bungie doesn't have the rights to Myth, so they won't be able to do an iPad version.

--Eric

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
oni needs an update for sure. That was a great game.

Oni was one of my favorite games as well. I remember it being heavily promoted as one of the first games to run on OSX. When updates finally killed it, I found a copy for my son's Playstation 2. Sadly that option is no longer a viable one since his PS3 doesn't play PS2 games.

I think a great game port for the iPad would be Descent. Accelerometer control would be awesome.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Yay! I knew one day there would be a reason for me to buy an iPad! :p

I have the PowerComputing "swag" CD from Macworld '96. It contains the "Bob LeVitus Must Die!" version of Marathon 2.
Damn those were exciting times. Thats the year of the Quadra / Performa 630 series came out. Ground breaking system at that time. Built-in CD player. Infrared port with remote. whole "motherboard" slid out the back via a pull-tab drawer. and Apple's first IDE hard drive. All at a ridiculously cheap price for Apple. (we just couldn't believe this thing had a "built-in" CD player at that price)

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Sit and spin!

Bungie turned its back on the Mac community and I refuse to give them my money!

However, as long as Bungie doesn't see a dime I guess I am alright with it.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Bungie turned its back on the Mac community and I refuse to give them my money!

However, as long as Bungie doesn't see a dime I guess I am alright with it.

Im sure all 4 Mac gamers at the time also agree with you :rolleyes:

mdesbiens

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Boston & New York
Free? Why is it free? I don't see any iAds on that screenshot. Why would they do this for free?

Bungie released the Marathon series as open source software just before MS bought them out (presumably so MS wouldn't own it). Bungie is completely irrelevant to this story... other than the tremendous amount of credit they deserve for originally making the series.

Being Bungie sanctioned, as the article states, is completely inconsequential to the development and release. This would be like saying the Firefox browser is sanctioned by Netscape (I know, I know, Mozilla was... but that was a long time ago).

Daniel Blezek deserves credit for bringing Marathon to the iPad, the article serves to discredit his work by indicating that Bungie has anything to do with this at all (besides blogging about it). The fact that there is no mention at all of Aleph One, the engine that will no doubt be used, and depriving credit to all it's developers is downright rude of MR.

milatchi

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Doom was puerile junk compared to Marathon.
I disagree. Marathon is all right but compared to Doom, Marathon's movement is awkward, its level designs a convoluted jumble, and its graphical textures murky -- chalk it up to ambiance if you want, but I think it was more inexperience on Bungie's part and the insufficient hardware of the time.
I found Durandal to be a much better game and still play it every few months on my Xbox 360.

Marathon's storyline alone was incredibly deep.
Very much agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.