Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mr. Gates said:
I've always thought the white Mac's were ugly as sin and got dirty fast.

Seriously, the hipster mentality needs be put on hold when buying a computer.

But, if you still want a low powered computing experience in white, may I suggest an iPad?

Very smart. Does ipad run linux? Does it run terminal? Does it run windows, games, encoding, torrent software? Etc, etc... The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one (for most people, not all)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very smart. Does ipad run linux? Does it run terminal? Does it run windows, games, encoding, torrent software? Etc, etc... The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one (for most people, not all)

But it does email, games, pages, keynote, imovie etc etc. And for 95% of the people who buy the macbook that's enough. They don't want linux or terminal. So if the Macbook was removed from the line up I'm not be disappointed.

Actually the ipad IS a computer. And with iOS 5 it's a PC too. Cause a PC needs to be free from the need of other devices to run. You can google this up easily to verify this. So learn what a computer and what a PC is. The ipad with iOS5 is just a portable touchscreen PC. And for a lot of people it does 100% of what need.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020

Then get the Mac Pro or the Air.

There is really no need for the White Mac.

And how many people buying entry level Macs use the Terminal ?

And you know what, If you require all of those features you can always use the App LogMeIn Ignition

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
But it does email, games, pages, keynote, imovie etc etc. And for 95% of the people who buy the macbook that's enough. They don't want linux or terminal. So if the Macbook was removed from the line up I'm not be disappointed.

Actually the ipad IS a computer. And with iOS 5 it's a PC too. Cause a PC needs to be free from the need of other devices to run. You can google this up easily to verify this. So learn what a computer and what a PC is. The ipad with iOS5 is just a portable touchscreen PC. And for a lot of people it does 100% of what need.

iPad is a tablet, not a PC. iOS is a mobile OS and not a desktop OS.

I want to buy the $999 entry level air but only if it has 128GB & 4GB.

is this likely ?

4GB RAM as standard likely, 128GB SSD as standard unlikely.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I actually bought one of these when I was in the US. Best Buy was selling them in the store for 938 USD (with no sales tax in New Hampshire.)

That represents a 35% discount over the standard price in Germany, so I pulled the trigger.

It's an OK machine and will see quite a bit of use!

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England

Want to know the specs now!!!!!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
MacBook...

Maybe a low-spec'd 11" MacBook Air with a white casing can be called the new MacBook.

Would be strange if Apple would drop the original "MacBook" name completely.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
MacBook...

Maybe a low-spec'd 11" MacBook Air with a white casing can be called the new MacBook.

Would be strange if Apple would drop the original "MacBook" name completely.

The polycarbonate would probably be too thick for use on a MBA compared to the aluminum.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
oh and I'll say it again - but all the new airs will have will be i5 or i7 processors. mark my words this will be a minor upgrade for sure..... maybe a Tunderbolt too, but I wouldn't bet on it....

For me, the C2D upgrade to the new core processors qualify it as more than a minor upgrade. I've been wanting a Macbook Air for a little while now but have been holding off as I figure I might as well get as much performance increase over my older C2D Macbook Pro as possible so long as the price remains the same between last year's and this year's refresh.

I'd also think the Thunderbolt port would be a relatively safe bet. Since they're using them as their video port on the iMacs and Macbook Pros it would make sense to continue standardizing around it.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I want to buy the $999 entry level air but only if it has 128GB & 4GB.

is this likely ?

4GB is a possibility, 2GB is definitely on the low side for machines these days, and the cost is minimal to Apple. I'd bet more towards the side that 4GB becomes standard in all Airs than not.

128GB SSD as standard in the low end model however isn't going to happen. SSDs cost too much for this to happen at the moment - the base stock model will still be 64GB. In a year or two we may see the prices drop enough for this to happen, but the current trend in SSDs is increasing speeds rather than lowering prices.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

KnightWRX said:
orfeas0 said:
The ipad is a big ipod touch, it is NOT a computer and it cannot replace one

The iPad and iPod Touch are both computers.

And if you want to be really technical about it, my toaster is a computer too since it probably runs NetBSD.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And if you want to be really technical about it, my toaster is a computer too since it probably runs NetBSD.

What kind of toaster is it ? Mine is purely electric, hit a switch and the heating elements turn on. I don't think paying more than 20$ is worth it, but if you have one with a full microprocessor and sensors, maybe share with the rest of us what kind of expensive computer is heating up your breakfeast. ;)

That's a fair comparison

A toaster to an iPad :rolleyes:

A computer is a very generic device. It's basically a device that takes in input, processes it and produces output while also providing storage. 4 characteristics of a lot of devices beyond the world of PCs, Macs, laptops, tablets basically. That's why it's always funny when someone says the iPad isn't a computer, ignoring what a computer even is.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
What kind of toaster is it ? Mine is purely electric, hit a switch and the heating elements turn on. I don't think paying more than 20$ is worth it, but if you have one with a full microprocessor and sensors, maybe share with the rest of us what kind of expensive computer is heating up your breakfeast. ;)

A computer is a very generic device. It's basically a device that takes in input, processes it and produces output while also providing storage. 4 characteristics of a lot of devices beyond the world of PCs, Macs, laptops, tablets basically. That's why it's always funny when someone says the iPad isn't a computer, ignoring what a computer even is.

Technically you're right but usually when people say computer they refer to laptops/desktops. In proper terms, iPad (or any other tablet personal computer) cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Technically you're right but usually when people say computer they refer to laptops/desktops.

Which is all right when they say things like "My computer" or "My work computer" or "the computers at work" or stuff like that. But when someone goes out of their way to say "The iPad is not a computer", then, it's completely wrong and needs to be pointed out.

In proper terms, iPad (or any other tablet personal computer) cannot replace a laptop/desktop.

Depends what the laptop/desktop is used for. A lot of people just need e-mail and the web (my step parents come to mind). The iPad works just fine for those.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I can't wait for the MBA refresh. Not so much because I want one - I do - but to put an end to the endless threads. At least nobody's posted about the need for a backlit keyboard yet. :)

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
You'll find the new model after the refresh in the kitchen appliance section of BestBuy right next to the George Foreman grills :D

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Here's that netBSD toaster everyone's harping on about:

netbsd-toaster.jpg

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
It appears as though you can in fact order Macbook Air's for shipping from the site, and Apple's webstore doesn't show shipping delays yet. Not the most convincing evidence the refresh is imminent imo.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I bought an MBA on BestBuy.com on Saturday the 18th. This has been fluctuating since at least the 16th as I kept checking to see when they would go in and out of stock and when my nearest store had it available for pick up and when it didn't. I'd keep an eye on Apple.com over BestBuy.com, when there delivery dates get pushed further out, then the refresh will be coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.