Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 31, 2011, 02:11 AM   #1
galaxy80
macrumors newbie

change root password on 4.3.3???

Hello, I really need some help! I jailbroke my g's Iphone 3gs with 4.3.3 and I'm fighting to change the root password. Mobile terminal doesnt work on 4.3.3. I installed open ssh and have tried cyberduck but can't figure out how to get a command prompt on it. Winscp gives me an error when I try the command ssh root@192.168.etc. It says failed with return code 225 and error message pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stain is not a terminal. Host key verification failed. I can't find any other info on wtf to do! Please help!!!!

Thanks!
Garrette
galaxy80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

use putty if on windows, otherwise just use terminal on *nix (including os x). ssh root@<yourip> default password is "alpine"

change it with bash command "passwd"

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ for putty download

If you haven't ssh'd to a device with that same ip you won't need to purge the RSA fingerprint but if you did, you do.

the moar you know.

p.s. there's nothing about this specific to 4.3.3
Old May 31, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

add the source

yourcydiarepo.org it has a working mobile terminal
heisenberg123 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 04:24 PM   #4
awadeee
macrumors 68020

The repo http://cydia.xsellize.com also has an excellent mobile terminal compatible with 4.x.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
galaxy80
macrumors newbie

Thanks! I used Putty and it worked great! So now that it's jailbroken, what so y'all recommend I do with the phone? I've read several sites about what you can do after jailbreak, but I wanted to see what other people had to say. Honestly, I have an Android phone, so I'm more familiar with that than ios. My girlfriend isn't that tech savvy, which is why I'm the one who did the jailbreak lol. Thanks again!
galaxy80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
add the source

Thanks seems to have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy80 View Post
Thanks! I used Putty and it worked great! So now that it's jailbroken, what so y'all recommend I do with the phone? I've read several sites about what you can do after jailbreak, but I wanted to see what other people had to say. Honestly, I have an Android phone, so I'm more familiar with that than ios. My girlfriend isn't that tech savvy, which is why I'm the one who did the jailbreak lol. Thanks again!
So what apps did you go with on your JB
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:41 PM   #7
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
add the source

I am not able to get yourcydiarepo.org to work now, I had to restore and redo my JB and I wanted to download the mobile terminal program I had before
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:54 PM   #8
labman
macrumors 604

repo is likely temporarily down unless there is another source you will have to wait till it's back up.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
repo is likely temporarily down unless there is another source you will have to wait till it's back up.
Guys, yourcydiarepo.org and cydia.xsellize.com has the same MobileTerminal (Allen Porter's MobileTerminal version 520-1). It works just fine under 4.3.3. Note that gestures are disabled by default. You will definitely want to enable them to mimic the „original” (and, now, defunct) MobileTerminal version 364-1 (author: the same Allen Porter) available in „traditional” Cydia repos (not the above two); e.g., up-swipe for the „Up” key to repeat the previous command etc.

That is, the major Cydia repos still haven't updated their now-incompatible MobileTerminal version to the new one. In the meantime, get it from either yourcydiarepo.org or cydia.xsellize.com.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:02 AM   #10
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Guys, yourcydiarepo.org and cydia.xsellize.com has the same MobileTerminal (Allen Porter's MobileTerminal version 520-1). It works just fine under 4.3.3. Note that gestures are disabled by default. You will definitely want to enable them to mimic the „original” (and, now, defunct) MobileTerminal version 364-1 (author: the same Allen Porter) available in „traditional” Cydia repos (not the above two); e.g., up-swipe for the „Up” key to repeat the previous command etc.

That is, the major Cydia repos still haven't updated their now-incompatible MobileTerminal version to the new one. In the meantime, get it from either yourcydiarepo.org or cydia.xsellize.com.

Ok thanks, i was a little taken back when i tried to add cydia.xsellize.com as a source, cydia gave me a strange warning.

But i will give it a go.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:39 AM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Ok thanks, i was a little taken back when i tried to add cydia.xsellize.com as a source, cydia gave me a strange warning.

But i will give it a go.
BTW, I've just posted a quick note on the different Terminal versions (and some other programmers' stuff) in different Cydia repos to http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/qu...d-changing-ios
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 06:58 PM   #12
enygmagyrl
macrumors newbie

Great Tip, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
BTW, I've just posted a quick note on the different Terminal versions (and some other programmers' stuff) in different Cydia repos to http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/qu...d-changing-ios
I had originally added xsellize as a source and got the 4.x v for the Terminal. For whatever reason, it didn't work so I uninstalled. I read your post and tried it again. This time it worked great! I think I was able to change my pw. I'm not completely sure because the last line before I closed it was "iPhone:~ root# " but according to the directions, I changed it! So, I'm hoping for the best. =)

Thanks again for the 411!
enygmagyrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #13
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post

But i will give it a go.
xSellize are notorious for pirating paid Cydia apps, although there is some really useful (and legal) stuff on their repo. I was a little wary about posting their source but wasn't aware of anywhere else I could get a working MT for iOS4. I've had theirs for a good while and works flawlessly for me. I was hesitant to post their source but I think it should be assumed that I'm not here to pirate since I'm an active contributing member.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks