Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_oblique.jpg

DigiTimes briefly reports that Apple is planning a significant increase in iPad 2 shipments for the third quarter of this year, attempting to move 12-14 million units over the period. That goal is up from the 7-9 million units reportedly shipped during the second quarter.
In order to significantly increase its shipments in the third quarter, Apple has been piling up its inventory of iPad 2 components such as panels in the second quarter to minimize the risk of facing component shortages.
Research analysts have had a particularly difficult time forecasting Apple's quarterly iPad shipments in the face of production constraints and the transition from the original iPad to the iPad 2. While a number of research analysts and firms have pegged Apple's total 2011 iPad sales in the range of 40 million units or even higher, Apple fell far short of expectations in the first calendar quarter with only 4.69 million units shipped. That figure only included, however, a few initial weeks of iPad 2 sales as Apple struggled to meet demand and according to Tim Cook sold every iPad 2 it made during the quarter.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning Significant Boost in iPad 2 Shipments for 3Q 2011

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Clearing out inventory much?

I'm excited! :D Let's get to the double announcement of iPad 3 and the 2011 MBA! Oh and let's not forget the iPhone 5 and 4S lol This year is so wacky with rumors. Love it!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Not that it will help much, but I plan on finally buying one. The nice thing is, I will need a second down the road, so little worries here on a pending update!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
If it were possible to walk into my local Best Buy or Future Shop and walk out with one 5 minutes later I would have bought one ages ago. Can't be bothered to order one online and wait. So I'm still using my original iPad.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

I'm excited! :D Let's get to the double announcement of iPad 3 and the 2011 MBA! Oh and let's not forget the iPhone 5 and 4S lol This year is so wacky with rumors. Love it!

Are you being sarcastic? They're looking to build MORE iPad 2 units, not fewer. Why would they be building more of them if they wanted to clear out their inventory?

Perhaps you misunderstood. This story pretty much puts an end to the idea that we'll see an iPad 3 this year. It was never on the cards anyway, of course.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Are you being sarcastic? They're looking to build MORE iPad 2 units, not fewer. Why would they be building more of them if they wanted to clear out their inventory?

Perhaps you misunderstood. This story pretty much puts an end to the idea that we'll see an iPad 3 this year. It was never on the cards anyway, of course.

You must be an analyst.

How else would you know that that there will not be an ipad3 this year:)

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm

Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly :)

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Good news for Japan

One really good piece of news we can probably read from this is that most of the supply disruption caused by the March 11th quake has pretty much disappeared, which is good news for Japan's economy.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

with iPad 2 leading the tablet market by far and them not being able to keep up production along with increasing production for Q3 I don't see Apple coming out with another new iPad within a year of the iPad 2, much less six months.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I really can't wait for iOS 5 to hit gold master status. Then I'll know for sure whether my iPad 1 really can or cannot handle iOS 5. Right now, under the beta, it's as bad or worse as the iPhone 3G + iOS 4 disaster.

If my iPad 1 continues to perform like garbage on ios 5 once it goes public, I'll be plenty pissed off, and then figure out a way to sell it and some other toys to buy and iPad 2. I really wanted to wait for iPad 3 next year, but I need to use my iPad daily, and I won't be able to if current firmware runs like crap on it.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010

/sarcasm

You're right, those fanbois will buy any piece of junk with an Apple logo slapped on it. How many billions do they number now? Stupid cultists! :p

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
At least 40 million in 2012. And that might be on the low side.

To make 40m (cal year 2011) would require roughly this quarterly sales rate:
5 + 9 + 12 + 14

The 5 is in the bank and I'm pretty confident in the 9. The 11 and 14 are WAGS. I'm long aapl but think 40m would be slightly ambitious for 2011. I'd be good with anything over 38m.

cheers to the longs
JohnG

Hussard

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly :)

or even look at the iPod thread back in 2001

it always makes me smiles.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
You must be an analyst.

How else would you know that that there will not be an ipad3 this year:)

Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008

Glad there wont be an iPad3 this year. Rather they take their time and have a proper upgrade next year, unlike the unspectacular one this year. My original iPad is doing fine and will be replaced be a 3 whenever it arrives. I reckon two years is the ideal gap between upgrading, big improvements usually

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.

This is another clue as to why Apple has moved the iphone release to the early fall. i.e. ipad and iphone release will now henceforth be on a ~6 month offset release cycle. Makes life much easier in terms of managing suppliers and SW development.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

adrian.oconnor said:

/sarcasm

You think that's something? Take a look at good old thread 500 for some laughs. (sorry, on my iPhone, can't post a link)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.