Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If it were possible to walk into my local Best Buy or Future Shop and walk out with one 5 minutes later I would have bought one ages ago. Can't be bothered to order one online and wait. So I'm still using my original iPad.

Hum, I was at Futureshop yesterday buying the LOTR Extended Blu-ray (that I can't watch on a Mac!) and some guy was buying an iPad 2 right then and there (had the box in hand and was coming up to the counter with it).

Seems they are in stock at some locations at least.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
How else would you know that that there will not be an ipad3 this year:)

there is absolutely zero reason for Apple to release an iPad 3 this year... there is little-to-no competition, and the iPad 2 is selling like crazy. any major changes would be totally unnecessary and just increase production overhead.

stadlin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Actually, I'm a consultant, which is almost as bad.

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.

and on http://store.apple.com/us, the ipad 2 is still listed as "NEW"... why should they release a new product if they still think it's brand new?
everybody who thinks a bit logically wouldn't expect a new iPad this year.

cactus33

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
This iPad thing... a failure. And these numbers are just a temporary bump as the fad... continues. It's nothing anyone wants to use.

/sarcasm

I was just compiling a rude rebuttal to your comment, then I read your "/sarcasm" thing....... :p

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

johnnymg said:

Simple logic though. Why would Apple release a new model when the old model is selling so well and is still so new? They can't even keep up with current demand. Plus the rumour has never really had any substance. No reason to believe it.

Add in the "2011 is the year of iPad 2" statement and the pattern of releasing iDevices on a roughtly 12 month rotation since the iPhone and iPod Touch set said pattern and you've got a pretty massive shovel full of reasons to not expect an iPad 3 this year and really no reason at all to expect one.

This is another clue as to why Apple has moved the iphone release to the early fall. i.e. ipad and iphone release will now henceforth be on a ~6 month offset release cycle. Makes life much easier in terms of managing suppliers and SW development.

Agree, but I do see some logic in having the new iPads come out in Sept or so to make them more attractive than fresher competitors for the holiday season.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I agree

there is absolutely zero reason for Apple to release an iPad 3 this year... there is little-to-no competition, and the iPad 2 is selling like crazy. any major changes would be totally unnecessary and just increase production overhead.

I totally agree with this. As the "copy"tetion continues to rollout iPad wannabes it's clear that they aren't as well thought out as the iPad. The iPad may not "do everything" but at least it's good at what it does do. Also the hardware design is simply excellent and has yet to be surpassed. The "smart covers" were a brilliant idea and shows how much Apple cares about their product design.

By the time that others start releasing products that are even close to the iPad2 Apple will leave them in the dust with the iPad3. I really hope they double the screen resolution...reading magazines and books on the iPad will be much improved if they transition to a retina display.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. ...

For some reason, that was exactly what I remembered when I read this article. I expected the iPad, in some form, years before. It's the perfect form at this time for a low-end computing platform. Then all the creepy myopic dunces screamed and shouted, the ridiculous press, their minions of useless analysis screaming derision, and all of them wrong-wrong-wrong. Made me happy to see the iPad success posted here. Again.

At this time it isn't my preferred device, but one more revision with a better camera, a high-res screen, a bit more power and memory, and it becomes something I could use 95% of my computing time. Brilliant device. It's going to evolve into something quite worth of nearly the entire market in this decade.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Three for me

Humbug. I will wait for my iP.3 It will be fantastic.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Hum, I was at Futureshop yesterday buying the LOTR Extended Blu-ray (that I can't watch on a Mac!) and some guy was buying an iPad 2 right then and there (had the box in hand and was coming up to the counter with it).

Seems they are in stock at some locations at least.

True. I just got an iPad 2 2 weeks ago from Best Buy. After calling around for a week at nearly every Apple/Best Buy store had some version of the Verizon 3G but I only found 2 wifi iPads (I bought one of the two).

So yes there are iPad 2 out there but in limited stock and limited versions.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Good, because my local Apple store STILL doesn't have them in stock (Salt Lake City).

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I told you all that 50M was a ridiculous target for iPad sales in 2011 ... and everyone disagreed :(

There you have it.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Apple still hasn't finished rolling out the iPad 2 to all of its international markets. Heck, the iPad isn't even distributed in all of the iPhone and iPod markets, there's plenty of growth.

They will sell every single one that rolls off the manufacturing line, and there will still be people on this planet who want one but can't get one. Just like the original iPad.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
If Apple floods the market with iPad 2's and fills all orders, then perhaps when the iPad 3 comes out, the supply and demand will be a bit more balanced.

I'm waiting for the iPad 3 since the iPad 1 was good, the iPad 2 was a bit of a blooper at least in my experience with each of them.

So it's the iPad 3 that should be the best of the lot. I will pickup one and evaluate accordingly.

I will be very happy to dump my iPad 2, the light leakage is simply too "Dell like" to keep me satisfied.

Hello Apple? Anybody home?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

Because one time Steve Jobs said something about one of their iPods that went something like "This is our best Selling iPod, and that is why we are going to replace it." Or something like that.

Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRv-kv5XEg

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Heh, the more tablets get released to the market by competitors, the more iPads Apple is forced to manufacture to meet demand.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
I can see Apple dropping iPad prices by $100. If other competitors having hard time making something similar for $500, they sure can't match it at $400.

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think they're going to add a 4G LTE antenna to the 3G iPads. If you haven't seen the new leaked AT&T documents it states testing for a 4G iPad and iPhone. You can see it here. It clearly states iPhone phase two LTE August/September 2011. http://www.slashgear.com/4g-lte-iphone-5-and-ipad-3-hinted-in-lulzsec-leak-28161801/

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

I think they're going to add a 4G LTE antenna to the 3G iPads. If you haven't seen the new leaked AT&T documents it states testing for a 4G iPad and iPhone. You can see it here. It clearly states iPhone phase two LTE August/September 2011. http://www.slashgear.com/4g-lte-iphone-5-and-ipad-3-hinted-in-lulzsec-leak-28161801/

The problem is that 4G services are not widely available in most regions. I'm in the UK and we don't have a single 4G network yet. I don't see Apple making a big deal about launching a product, the main benefit of which will not be available to most of the potential audience.

There is no doubt they are testing these things but the design and development of new products is a long process. If there is a 4G iPad this year it will be merely a variation on the current iPad with added 4G support. It won't be an iPad 3 in any true sense.

EDIT: Just noticed that you're saying pretty much the same thing. So, in short. Yes. Maybe.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
If Apple floods the market with iPad 2's and fills all orders, then perhaps when the iPad 3 comes out, the supply and demand will be a bit more balanced.

I'm waiting for the iPad 3 since the iPad 1 was good, the iPad 2 was a bit of a blooper at least in my experience with each of them.

So it's the iPad 3 that should be the best of the lot. I will pickup one and evaluate accordingly.

Hello Apple? Anybody home?

What? I am so confused by this. How was th iPad2 a " blooper"? Faster processor, cameras for Facetime and skype, thinner. Sure those aren't "major upgreades" but really the iPad 1 was more of a proof of concept to me and the Pad 2 was the real deal.

But to each their own. Personally I had no reason to wait for an iPad 3 as the only major upgrade appears to be a "retina" type display, which is nice I guess, but I have no issue with the current disply.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I can see Apple dropping iPad prices by $100. If other competitors having hard time making something similar for $500, they sure can't match it at $400.
Why should Apple drop prices if others can't even compete at the current pricing?

Plus, Apple's margins on the iPad are rather thin right now. There's no reason for Apple to drop prices when they are selling every single unit that rolls off the manufacturing line. They haven't even completed their international rollout and the iPad isn't being sold in all of the markets where the iPhone and iPod are present. There is plenty of untapped growth without killing margins.

Their competitors need to think about dropping prices since there's a lot of product sitting on store shelves. Most of these competitors are slashing tablet forecasts since they are accumulating inventory. There's not much sell-through on competing tablets.

I'm not convinced that cost competition will win these competitors any significant marketshare. Look at the MP3 player market. You can pick up a 4GB MP3 player for $24, half the price of Apple's 2GB iPod shuffle and yet Apple still has a stranglehold on the music player market.

Last edited:

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Heh, I remember all the whining and shouting in the forums when Apple announced the iPad. In this thread, started just after the announcement, somebody even suggested it was time for Steve Jobs to retire! I guess that's why Job's the visionary leader of an incredible company, and we're here, criticizing and complaining incessantly :)

or even look at the iPod thread back in 2001

it always makes me smiles.

I couldn't resist I had to leave a comment on that iPad thread. Amazing how critical we are. Seems like Steve knows what we want more than we do. Same goes for the iPod thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.