Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Apple rolled out In App Subscriptions for App Store applications, offering content providers a way to provide ongoing content within their applications. As part of that rollout, Apple required that providers offer their content via In App Subscriptions at at least the same rates as other purchasing mechanisms and also barred apps from including links to those alternative external mechanisms, such as "buy" buttons linking out to web-based stores. The regulations were set to apply to both purchased and subscribed content, and would go into effect on June 30th (today) for existing applications.

But with just a few weeks to go before the deadline, Apple backpedaled somewhat, adjusting its App Store terms to allow developers to provide content in their applications without also requiring that the content be made available through In App Purchases/Subscriptions. The company did, however, maintain its exclusion of "buy" buttons linking to external purchasing mechanisms, and presumably continued to demand a June 30th compliance date for existing apps.

Last week, Hulu Plus became one of the highest-profile apps to comply with Apple's new rules, simply removing an external link for signing up for the Hulu Plus service. The revised app complies with Apple's rules by playing outside subscription content without offering an In App Subscription option while also not providing users with a way to subscribe to the service linked from directly within the app.

At the time, it was noted that a number of other high-profile apps had yet to comply with Apple's terms and that some such as Amazon's Kindle app might have significant difficulties doing so given their focus on offering individual eBook purchases. Offering access to a catalog of eBook content with no way to link out for external purchases would mark a relatively significant inconvenience for users trying to make new purchases.

kindle_app_store_link.jpg

CNN Money reports that Kindle does indeed appear to be in Apple's crosshairs, along with similar eBook services from Barnes & Noble and Borders.
The new rules explicitly prohibit apps that include "external mechanisms for purchases ... such as a 'buy' button that goes to a web site to purchase a digital book."

Amazon's Kindle app prominently features a "Shop in Kindle Store" link, which takes shoppers to Amazon's website. That's verboten under the rules set to take effect Thursday.
Apple and the digital booksellers have remained silent on exactly what is expected to happen today as the new rules take effect, but none of the high-profile applications have yet received updates that would bring them into compliance with the rules.

Apple is not averse, however, to rejecting or removing such applications for non-compliance, as the company demonstrated by rejecting a Sony Reader application earlier this year for its ability to purchase external content without also offering In App Purchasing.

Article Link: Will Kindle Survive Apple's Deadline for iOS Content Purchasing Compliance?

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Clearly Amazon is not afraid to push Apple's buttons. But I suspect Apple is not afraid to push back. Could Apple actually use their kill switch for this kind of thing?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
The rules are pretty clear, if they don't pull the button Apple have to pull the app from the store.

And, by the way, the title is a little misleading. I highly doubt Kindle as a whole will suffer from pulling Kindle iOS app from the App Store

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apple would be setting itself up for antitrust trouble if they do not allow kindle. If not the US then the EU. Beside apple would be hurt a lot more than amazon if they block the kindle app

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
The irony of it all ... once upon a time the Apple flew a pirate flag and led a revolt against uptight corporate types like IBM. Now, Apple has become IBM. Orwell would be pleased.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Clearly Amazon is not afraid to push Apple's buttons. But I suspect Apple is not afraid to push back. Could Apple actually use their kill switch for this kind of thing?

They wouldn't do that. They would only take the app offline for new downloads.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Apple would be setting itself up for antitrust trouble if they do not allow kindle. If not the US then the EU. Beside apple would be hurt a lot more than amazon if they block the kindle app

Yup. I'd almost like for it to happen just for the almighty kicking that Apple would get in court if Amazon followed it up.

Phazer

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee

Not in the slightest. They are not disallowing kindle. They are disallowing kindle with a link to their book store. Not saying whether this is a good or bad policy but it's not antitrust.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I hardly think Amazon is shaking with worry about this. If anything, they're probably excited at the possibilities - millions of angry Apple customers suddenly left in the lurch. I know I'll be voting with my money and buying a Kindle, not going the route Apple hopes - by using iBooks. This will only hurt Apple - it could seriously influence my decision to buy an iPad in the future, as reading on it is one of the things that made it worthwhile.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Not in the slightest. They are not disallowing kindle. They are disallowing kindle with a link to their book store. Not saying whether this is a good or bad policy but it's not antitrust.

Apple is forcing Amazon (whose Kindle store competes directly with iBooks) to give them a 30% cut of all sales. Sounds like antitrust to me.

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
The irony of it all ... once upon a time the Apple flew a pirate flag and led a revolt against uptight corporate types like IBM. Now, Apple has become IBM. Orwell would be pleased.

I know, Apple is not the big brother form their 1984 ad.
"Don't you dare think different." Would kind of work better these days.

Happens to every mega company though.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I'd sort of love it if they got nailed for antitrust violations.

But realistically - Amazon is working on a web app and could just remove the button and be done with it. A stupid result from the consumer point of view, but Apple is not as worried about that nowadays.

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
Book sales

I currently use Kindle app Kobo app and iBooks on my iPad. I shop around to see which has the content that I want at the best price and buy accordingly. Will have no probs with just opening the web browser if needed. Its all about the content.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Apple is forcing Amazon (whose Kindle store competes directly with iBooks) to give them a 30% cut of all sales. Sounds like antitrust to me.

Uh, no. They are only doing that if they have a link to their store from the app. Remove the button and all is OK. Not antitrust in the slightest. People on these forums should leave legal situations to lawyers.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Lousy reading experience anyway

The iPhone and iPad provide lousy e-book reading experiences anyway, IMHO. The Kindle and e-ink excel for reading books. I own 3 iPads and 2 Kindles so I think I'm pretty qualified to make that statement.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

No- they would just remove it from the app store. They weren't violating Apple's rules until today.

So, get it while you can...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Amazon wouldn't be effected much if they were to move off the iOS devices, however, I will be losing some potential sales if they do. Thank goodness my publishers are putting me on iBooks within the next month.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The iPhone and iPad provide lousy e-book reading experiences anyway, IMHO. The Kindle and e-ink excel for reading books. I own 3 iPads and 2 Kindles so I think I'm pretty qualified to make that statement.

I have both and both work well in different situations. Lousy in your opinion maybe but not in everyone's.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

Once a pun a time, people did not sue each other for one line of code, they do now, so what is your point?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
It's a game of chicken, as it's not just Apple vs Amazon. It's Apple vs 3rd Party Apps Who Have Buy Buttons. If Apple pulls ones, but not another, that would be questionable. I think each side is waiting to see who blinks first.

jayfehr

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
My guess is everything will remain as is. However, when Amazon posts the next update for the app if the button is still there it will be rejected. But I don't believe Apple will pull the current version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.