Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple having seeded the Golden Master (GM) version of OS X Lion earlier today, users are finally getting a look at what the OS X Lion experience should be like in the shipping version.

One staple of Mac OS X installations over the past several versions has been the welcome video that displays at first boot, displaying an animation of the word "Welcome" in a number of different languages and set to the song "Exodus Honey" by Honeycut [iTunes link]:

Unfortunately for fans of the video, neither the previous welcome video nor a new one appears to be included in the GM version of OS X Lion. While a welcome video could conceivably still be added at the last minute, previous OS X releases have seen the video included in GM seeds.

Instead, OS X Lion boots straight into Setup Assistant to help users get up and running. And one new addition to Setup Assistant is an introduction to Multi-Touch scrolling, offering users a glimpse at the enhanced Multi-Touch features included in the new operating system.

The text and image are customized depending on the input device being used, such as a Magic Mouse or built-in trackpad.

OS X Lion is set to be released to the public later this month and will be available exclusively through the Mac App Store for $29.99.

Article Link: Booting OS X Lion GM: No Welcome Video, New Introduction to Scrolling

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Or for those of us that don't have a touch input device for their Mac yet... No tutorial.

libizboy74

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
Boot video

Perhaps they've left it out to maximize space for those machines with SSD's...

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I always liked the start up video, but I guess its not the biggest deal..

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
App store download, so maybe trying to maximize download for OS and not a splashscreen video? Although I'm not sure how big the video really was. To be honest I'm glad if they drop it, always hated it.

Pretty sure they are still trying to get the sound synced with the new video, but they made the mistake of using FCPX

Last edited:

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
It's there...

Of course the video will be there. The video is now going to be the entire feature length film; 'Birth of a Nation' directed by D.W.Griffith from 1915. Since it's a silent film, they'll be using all the covers and variations of Justin Bieber's 'Baby' as the soundtrack. They just want to surprise us with this bold new intro video choice.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Well. That settles it. Clearly Apple feels that Mac users are no longer welcome.

Post PC era indeed.

Time to switch to Windows.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
If this is the Gold Master, then there will be no video. Gold Master means finished - no changes. It is the version of the software that will be released to the public if there are no outstanding "show-stoppers".

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I have to say I'm not bothered by it being gone- in fact I like the fact that it's not there. The less "filler" data there is the better. This video only gets played once and then sits on the HD forever, taking up space. Sure hard drives are bigger than ever now, but that is no excuse to waste it needlessly.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
App store download, so maybe trying to maximize download for OS and not a splashscreen video? Although I'm not sure how big the video really was. To be honest I'm glad if they drop it, always hated it.

Looks like Apple is becoming all touchy feely.. groovy!

It was only 20 MB

Where does the video live on a Mac in Snow Leopard?

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/TransitionSection.bundle/Contents/Resources

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.