Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Alaska
I have revised this post, after finding in some online forum, that you can access the cheat menu as in the windows version. It says that the `/~ button is used to access the cheat menu, but what is the `/~ button? Does it mean a combination of those keys ooorr...?
Thanks for any help, I have been able to answer some of my questions from searching google, but not all.

Also, which faction is your favorite to campaign with? Citing some reason(s) obviously.

IanAtFeral

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Hey jmd. The cheats work as in the Windows version, but first you need to enable the RomeShell. When you start the game, an options window should appear. Click the 'Advanced' tab and make sure the 'Enable RomeShell' box is checked. It should look like this:

romeshell.jpg

( If you start the game and it goes straight into Rome without showing that window, quit the game, hold down the Cmd (⌘) key, and start the game again. )

Now that RomeShell is enabled, you can use cheats when the game is running. You need to press ~ when you're in the game to bring up the cheats panel (Depending on your keyboard it'll probably be Shift+` to get the ~ symbol) . From here you can type in cheats! It's very fussy about typos, so make sure you're typing them in correctly.

Hope that helps!

– Ian

R-Ocelot

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Hey jmd. The cheats work as in the Windows version, but first you need to enable the RomeShell. When you start the game, an options window should appear. Click the 'Advanced' tab and make sure the 'Enable RomeShell' box is checked. It should look like this:

romeshell.jpg

( If you start the game and it goes straight into Rome without showing that window, quit the game, hold down the Cmd (⌘) key, and start the game again. )

Now that RomeShell is enabled, you can use cheats when the game is running. You need to press ~ when you're in the game to bring up the cheats panel (Depending on your keyboard it'll probably be Shift+` to get the ~ symbol) . From here you can type in cheats! It's very fussy about typos, so make sure you're typing them in correctly.

Hope that helps!

– Ian

Hey, I bought the game from the app store on a new MacBook Pro 15''
But this still doesn't work for me, am I doing something wrong?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey, I bought the game from the app store on a new MacBook Pro 15''
But this still doesn't work for me, am I doing something wrong?

Yep :) You are not pressing the correct key or you are pressing in the wrong menu, don't worry here are some instructions to help you out.

You need to press the ~ key (do NOT press shift of anything else just the single ~ key). You can only activate this key when in a 3D battle or playing in a campaign it will do nothing if you are on a menu screen.

The ~ key is usually in the top left or bottom left of your keyboard depending on your location. If you still cannot get it to work please contact support with a support report and where on your keyboard the ~ key is location (a picture is best).

I have tested this just now on my MacBookPro and MacPro using the AppStore version and they both work fine with both UK and US keyboards attached.

Edwin

stu-on-mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
UK Lincolnshire
Rome Total War Cheats

Hi, This is my first post, I have been playing on Rome total war now for a year or so, and never really bothered with cheats, but thought I'd give it a try, but could someone tell me if the PC cheats work on the mac as some do and some don't, is there a different list for mac cheats or am I doing something wrong, anyway hope someone knows, Thank you, Stu:)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi, This is my first post, I have been playing on Rome total war now for a year or so, and never really bothered with cheats, but thought I'd give it a try, but could someone tell me if the PC cheats work on the mac as some do and some don't, is there a different list for mac cheats or am I doing something wrong, anyway hope someone knows, Thank you, Stu:)

All the PC cheats work on the Mac. However the lists of cheats for the PC list many cheats that don't work in the retail PC version which makes things complicated.

The most useful cheats that you will want to use are:

process_rq - Builds all troops in your build Q (Only works on the Mac version)
process_cq - Builds all buildings in your build Q (Mac & PC)
add_money - Adds upto 40000 gold (Mac & PC)
showmethemoney - Special Mac only cheat gives you a few billion gold

Edwin

stu-on-mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
UK Lincolnshire
Rome Total War Cheats

Hi Edwin, Thank you for your help will try next time i'm on the game, Regards Stu:D By the way are there any more Total War games out for the Mac or in the process of coming out.:D

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi Edwin, Thank you for your help will try next time i'm on the game, Regards Stu:D By the way are there any more Total War games out for the Mac or in the process of coming out.:D

It's company policy not to comment on anything Feral have not announced, I can say you are one of many who have requested more Total War games!

Edwin

stu-on-mac

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
UK Lincolnshire
Rome Total War

Hi Edwin, no problem, could you tell me, as I only know of Rome Total War, for the mac, are there any more Total wars that have been released and on sale now as I have looked on ebay, apple site and others but can only find Rome.:)

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
For the Mac, there is only one.

Hi Edwin, no problem, could you tell me, as I only know of Rome Total War, for the mac, are there any more Total wars that have been released and on sale now as I have looked on ebay, apple site and others but can only find Rome.:)

For the Mac, there is only RTW Gold. For the PC there are many:
Shogun Total War
Medieval Total War
Medieval Total War II
Empire Total War
Napoleon Total War

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
For the Mac, there is only RTW Gold. For the PC there are many:
Shogun Total War
Medieval Total War
Medieval Total War II
Empire Total War
Napoleon Total War

Yes that is true, at the moment Rome is the only Total War game on the Mac.

Edwin

It's company policy not to comment on anything Feral have not announced, I can say you are one of many who have requested more Total War games!

Edwin

Yes that is true, at the moment Rome is the only Total War game on the Mac.

Edwin
I'll try not to read too much into these comments, but will keep my hopes firmly in check. ;) That said, Medieval 2 would be nice, followed by Empire & Napoleon soon after. :)

JackieMoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I really hope we get Empire and all the rest for Mac, surely a developer knows that there will be a huge demand for it.

ProAtLife

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Hey im new to these forums and im not sure exactly how these things work, anyway i couldnt find another topic u can call me stupid if u want but i cant find any :(

but i have a problem i cant seem to be able to update my game of rome total war. it says exactly this.

Rome Total War does not have permission to write to this the applications directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help.

I know your gonna say "you need to be an administrator" but i already typed in the administrators name and password (my bro dont care if i know them)

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey im new to these forums and im not sure exactly how these things work, anyway i couldnt find another topic u can call me stupid if u want but i cant find any :(

but i have a problem i cant seem to be able to update my game of rome total war. it says exactly this.

Rome Total War does not have permission to write to this the applications directory! Are you running off a disk image? If not, ask your system administrator for help.

I know your gonna say "you need to be an administrator" but i already typed in the administrators name and password (my bro dont care if i know them)

Definitely sounds like a permissions problem to do with different users. Best thing to do when you have a problem with a game is contact the support team they are there to help.

I know the quickest solution, try a manual upgrade using this page. - http://support.feralinteractive.com/rometw_bi/EN.html

Just download the patch and replace the old applications with the new ones. Any problems just contact support.

Edwin

Twodogs2

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Can't Save My Games!

Hi All,

First post for me here, so please be patient if I'm not following proper etiquette.
I just bought Rome: Total War Gold Edition online from the App store. Everything installed fine, and the game play's no problem. the only issue, is that whenever i try to save a game I get an error message: "Can't save file to disk." I have no idea what do do, and it's keeping me from playing this great game. Can anyone help?

I'm using a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.7)

Thanks!!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi All,

First post for me here, so please be patient if I'm not following proper etiquette.
I just bought Rome: Total War Gold Edition online from the App store. Everything installed fine, and the game play's no problem. the only issue, is that whenever i try to save a game I get an error message: "Can't save file to disk." I have no idea what do do, and it's keeping me from playing this great game. Can anyone help?

I'm using a brand-new 13" MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.7)

Thanks!!

Quickest way of getting is help is to email the support team with a support report (all instructions on creating one can be found in the pre game support tab). It sounds like you have a permissions problem which can be fixed by using the Repair permissions option in Disk Utility but once we get your report we can have a deeper look.

Edwin

Twodogs2

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Still no Luck!

Edwin,

Thanks for getting back s quickly! I did as you suggested, and sent a report to Feral Interactive. Here's a copy of our correspondence:

Dear Gerald,

Thanks for your timely response. I tried both of your suggestions: I
repaired the disk permissions on the Mac HD, and also checked to make sure
that FileVault is NOT enabled. Still not able to save a game.
The entire error message I receive is:
"Save Failed Couldn't create save file on disk"
Any other ideas? Is it possible to re-load the application? I bought the
game from the App store on-line.

> Dear Michael,
>
> I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with Rome: Total
> War.
>
> This is not an error that has been reported previously. Please ensure that
> your disk permissions are repaired (see
> http://www.ehow.com/how_5096520_repair-os-leopard-snow-leopard.html for
> more information).
>
> I would also recommend that you check that FileVault is not enabled - this
> can be done in System Preferences->Security->FileVault
>
> Please let me know if either of the above suggestions resolve the issue.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Gerard McAuley
> Feral Interactive Support
> --

So that's what they know, do you have any suggestions? And again, thanks for the help.

mcurrys07

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
rome question

i have the base 2011 13 inch macbook pro with no add ons. i wanted get one game before i head of the school. i really want to download rome total war from the app store. This is my first laptop and i dont really know what runs well with what. basically knowing the specs of my laptop will rome total war run on my macbook pro with no problems?( it doesn't have to be on maximum setting because it was like that when i played years ago on my xp) and also will it slow it down at all? from past experiences i noticed big games would sometimes slow down the whole computer but it was a windows not a mac.

Also the only other apps that i have purchased other than the ones preinstalled are ipages and keynote.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Your setup should work.

i have the base 2011 13 inch macbook pro with no add ons. i wanted get one game before i head of the school. i really want to download rome total war from the app store. This is my first laptop and i dont really know what runs well with what. basically knowing the specs of my laptop will rome total war run on my macbook pro with no problems?( it doesn't have to be on maximum setting because it was like that when i played years ago on my xp) and also will it slow it down at all? from past experiences i noticed big games would sometimes slow down the whole computer but it was a windows not a mac.

Also the only other apps that i have purchased other than the ones preinstalled are ipages and keynote.

Your setup should work.

mcurrys07

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
another question

thanks for the responses! not to change the subject but i have one more question. Would anyone recommend a cooling pad for the macbook pro 13 inch 2011? this is not only my first labtop but also my first macbook. I noticed that this computer does get hot at certain points, specifically with gaming,(total war).

jsugarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles
Rome Total War (Saved files won't open) Help

Anybody help I've been playing for like a year. Got the lastest Macbok pro and been playing on that for a month. Saving files. When I got to load it crashes.
It does work otherwise.

Any Idea

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Anybody help I've been playing for like a year. Got the lastest Macbok pro and been playing on that for a month. Saving files. When I got to load it crashes.
It does work otherwise.

Any Idea

Sounds like you have a corrupted save game file, have you tried to load other save games? If other games also don't work contact our support team and a member of the support team will get back to you.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.