Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Launch 'iPad HD' This Fall Alongside Pro Apps?

This is my next... adds some additional color to recent reports of a higher-resolution iPad set for launch later this year, claiming that the new "iPad HD" device will be sold alongside the existing iPad 2 and will target professional users in the video or photo industries. Apple is also said to be planning to debut iPad versions of at least one its pro-level apps such as Final Cut Pro or Aperture alongside the iPad HD.
Quote:
Our sources are saying that not only will there be a newly designed iPhone coming in the fall, but there is going to be a new entry into the iPad family as well. As hard as it might be to believe, the new tablet is said to sport a double resolution screen (2048 x 1536), and will be dubbed the "iPad HD." The idea behind the product is apparently that it will be a "pro" device aimed at a higher end market - folks who work in video and photo production possibly - and will be introduced alongside something like an iPad version of Final Cut or Aperture. This product is specifically said to not be the iPad 3, rather a complimentary piece of the iPad 2 line. Think MacBook and MacBook Pro.
The report also goes on to try to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the next-generation iPhone and whether it will be a complete redesign or simply a minor tweak to the existing iPhone 4 that has come to be informally known as the "iPhone 4S".

According to the report's sources, Apple is indeed planning a smaller and lighter design for the iPhone 5, but has also been testing those components within iPhone 4 enclosures, leading to the confusion over the company's plans.
Quote:
Simply put, as the iPhone 5 components are built for a smaller and lighter device, they can be easily fit into a casing which for all intents and purposes looks identical to an iPhone 4... and that's exactly what Apple has been doing. Our sources tell us that the company has been testing the new components in old iPhone cases, for obvious reasons.
The current iPhone 4 design is said to have fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives, leading to the substantial efforts to introduce a redesigned form factor only a little over a year after the iPhone 4's debut.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 'iPad HD' This Fall Alongside Pro Apps?
MacRumors is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
ratzzo
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 'out of favor'? Madmen, they don't appreciate the beauty of their own creations!

Also, I think all these iPad HD versions are nonsense. There will just be an iPad 3, whose main feature will be a retina display just like the iPhone.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Spanky Deluxe
macrumors 601

That's exactly what I want. I love my iPad in every way apart from the low-res screen.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM   #4
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

Ahhhh! So that explains why the launch of FCPX was a mess. They ported it to the wrong platform...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

"HD" as a marketing term. It's just so 2007.

Might as well say iPad now in COLOR
HarryKeogh is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:05 PM   #6
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
I'm not sure how much I believe Joshua Topolsky rumors. He has been pretty inaccurate in the past.

Also, the believability that Apple is making a professional-aimed iPad is somewhat questionable right now, as it really seems like everything Apple is doing is moving towards Consumer and Prosumer and away from Professionals.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
cxny
macrumors 6502

(iPhone 4) fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives...

maybe fallen out of their pockets and smashed too many times...
cxny is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:06 PM   #8
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Why the iPad HD only at the high-end?

Low-yield of the HD screens? Too pricey? Performance at that resolution too poor for games, but good enough for photo display?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Brien
macrumors 68000

Not surprised at an iOS version of FCP at all, but I do find it odd if Apple plans to supplant the iPad 2 so quickly.

Though it does make you wonder how much longer OS X has to live.
Brien is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:07 PM   #10
tarproductions
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to tarproductions
It's funny to see "iPad" and "Pro" apps in the same title.
tarproductions is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:07 PM   #11
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

This is all getting extremely confusing. One of the best thing I like about apple (or more specifically iDevices) is that they have a fixed update cycle. Now iPhone 5 is not on schedule, there are talks about high resolution iPad showing up within 6 months of last refresh, and there are rumors that apple will kill iPod touch (some dumb blog suggested it a few weeks ago but I of course dont believe it).
ImNoSuperMan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #12
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Josh Topolski is the one guy right now I believe more often than not when it comes to any rumors regarding tech these days.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #13
SilentCrs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratzzo View Post
iPhone 4 'out of favor'? Madmen, they don't appreciate the beauty of their own creations!
Sounds like they want a new creation that doesn't carry the stigma of bad engineering.
SilentCrs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #14
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
I'll believe it when I see it, but bring on lightroom for the ipad HD.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #15
robT9
macrumors newbie

Ipad 2 HD

Finally, an article that makes sense. I suspected all along that 2011 is still the year of the ipad2...just that they will offer another option that costs more in the fall (ipad 2 HD).

People will then have a choice, and Apple can stay on the forefront in this space.
robT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #16
johneaston
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The current iPhone 4 design is said to have fallen "out of favor" with Apple executives, leading to the substantial efforts to introduce a redesigned form factor only a little over a year after the iPhone 4's debut.
Not a surprise and exactly why I think the iPhone 5 will be a redesign. With all the antenna business, I'd think Apple would want to move on.

Re the Pro apps, as we've seen with FCPX, 'Pro' means nothing.
johneaston is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #17
fluffylion
macrumors newbie

seems plausible

having knowledge of behind-the-scenes business tactics and way of thinking
i can say a redesigned iphone is most likely, as the negative feedback with the reception issues after launch would of angered senior management and there would of been a lot of ear chewing

ipad HD also sounds plausible. its a potential market to create and control
having already made pages etc available. it sounds like smart business to suck every buck out of consumers before ipad 3

it also seems the ipad is to be apples future, and trying to create this "post-pc" world

however, the ipad really needs a usb port to connect to external dvd/cd drives and hard drives or flash sticks

optical technology is not going anywhere in this life time
but the mouse and keyboard certainly can
fluffylion is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:08 PM   #18
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

This makes a lot of sense, this way they can charge more for those people that really want a nicer screen, but without scaring away people who just want a great iPad (the iPad 2). I think a lot of people will be upgrading even if it is just a screen upgrade (myself included )
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:09 PM   #19
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratzzo View Post
If you will remember, the iPhone 4 development was lead by Mark Papermaster, who left the company. Could be some desire by top management to get rid of his product.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:09 PM   #20
iDemiurge
macrumors regular

Also, this sounds nice. But only 64 Gb? They'll have to do something about it too.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:10 PM   #21
42streetsdown
macrumors 6502a

why would they call it HD? 2048 x 1536 resolution is both higher than what is considered HD (1920X1080) and is a different aspect ratio. This just tells me these analysts don't no what they're taking about.
42streetsdown is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:10 PM   #22
wordoflife
macrumors 604

That seems so unApple-like. (to release a slightly better product with an add on to the name). I'm not saying it's bad, but just unusual.

It's like the jump from
Palm Pre -> Palm Pre Plus
Droid X -> Droid x2
wordoflife is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

It's only going to get worse as the months drag along. Every day there will be crazy, conflicting rumors. I haven't figured out yet if I'm amused or annoyed at this point.

Last edited by OllyW; Jul 7, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: quote to deleted post
Moyank24 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:11 PM   #24
oldwatery
macrumors 6502a

iPad Pro.
Now there's a joke. What the hell does Apple know about Pro anything?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:12 PM   #25
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42streetsdown View Post
why would they call it HD? 2048 x 1536 resolution is both higher than what is considered HD (1920X1080) and is a different aspect ratio. This just tells me these analysts don't no what they're taking about.
Anything above 720 is HD, it's not any specific res that's 'HD'.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion