Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
And funny enough here I am with a 'Angry Birds' case on it and I get a perfect full bars signal in my area (I live outside the US). Maybe the focus should be on AT&T fixing its crap network instead of whining about the supposed 'design defects' of the iPhone.

The design defect is a big defect.

The fact that 3G calling is the default setting when 2G is the default for every other phone in existence means iPhone's reception is garbage.

Hopefully Apple figures that out with iPhone 5.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
If the iPad Pro can run OS X and iOS dual boot, then i'll buy it. Otherwise, really pointless.

Also, it's true the iPhone 4 design was really bad, and i'm glad to hear that we're getting a case redesign for the iPhone 5, and a spectacle for the iPhone 6!

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Not totally out of the realm of possibility in my opinion, especially if higher res displays have come down. Samsung has indicated their display and chip sales will likely drop dramatically in the second half of the year. The reduction in demand may help Apple in negotiating higher res displays. I guess it depends on how many displays Apple rejects that Samsung can pawn off to China.

However, such a move would conflict with Apple's usual MO of simple product lines to avoid customer confusion and keep costs low (by buying in larger bulk from suppliers). I think the current marketplace (i.e. no dirth of competitors) and economic climate would tend to favor waiting until next year before such a move.

Could go either way.

Yasic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
I think this is genious. With all the ios elements in lion and the fullscreen apps it is almost destined to be used on an ipad 'pro'
Macbooks could be replaced by selling an ipad dock with a keyboard for office and home use

crezo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
great, but a pain in the *ss

This is much overdue as the current res ipad screens are terrible... however I will cry when these come out as it will mean having to do 4 sets of cutups and graphics for any combined iphone/ipad apps. This will be a major pain in the *ss for all designers and developers for the device, and a complete waste of time.

I seriously hope it can manage some form of auto-resizing of the high res elements, rather than having to create two sets as you do with iphone 3g/4. As if each app has to store 4 sets of graphics it will cause app sizes to ROCKET. that 32gb is going to rapidly become more like a 16gb, and nothing will be downloadable over the cellular networks.

They really need to think about this aspect when creating yet more iterations of the devices. More fragmentation means more of a problem for developers.

asuperpower

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Austrlalia
iPad 4K!

The graphics processing unit to power such a high resolution in a mobile device especially at the low temperature required in a mobile device would take a lot of power and batteries just aren't ready yet to provide that amount of power for around the same time. That's why a device like this is unlikely at this time. This would also complicate the spectrum of products released by Apple.

Also, HD after a product for apple is so 5 years ago and Apple is highly unlikely to release a product anymore with that suffix. iPad 4K... now we're talking :D :eek:

Kupp

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Massachusetts
I couldn't care less what apple releases next, I got an iPhone 4 in December and and IPad 2 a few months ago, along with two year warranties. I think I'm good until late 2012 @ the earliest. Hell, my laptop is 6 years old and is my primary computer, I'll update that long before I replace perfectly good working devices.

At for HD on the iPad or a better screen, I compromise quality for file size, so I wouldn't even be taking advantage of the resolution.

If apple really wants me to think about upgrading my iPads to a new model in the next 18 months, they better start talking about better speakers.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

How about an iPad pro that runs OSX? This, I would buy.

What would be the point? You can already use OS X with a remote app and it would run a lot better on a desktop or laptop than it would on the iPad. For you, there is the 11" MacBook Air. All the size benefit of the iPad with the keyboard and trackpad to use OS X and hardware performance beyond that of the iPad.

Last edited:

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
No they won't. Apple could update the iPhone and iPad twice a year and people will be lined up for blocks to buy them. Especially the true Apple fanatics.

In rich countries perhaps, not in poor country like china, there is this boy who sell his kidney to buy ipad2, basically to show off to his friend that he has the latest and best. If apple would to produce a new ipad this year, i hope this boy will not commit suicide, but i would not be surprise if he did. I really think 1 year product cycle is mad enough, to shorten that will be the wrong decision.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
iPad HD or iPad pro. Whatever they call it I'll buy it. It's all I have been waiting for and I suspect that apple knows this which is why it's a release out of schedule and only a upgrade to the existing line. This way it's not a iPad 3 and you can't pin them on releasing a major upgrade too soon.

ipad 3 is ipad 3, even you twist the name around, everyone know it is call ipad3.

interwebs

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
If Apple launches a high resolution screen with the current A5 performance will lag as the speculated resolution is four times that of the current iPad panel. If Apple moves to a quad core Cortex-A9 that would help, but would impose a battery life penalty on top of what probably will also come with the new display. Likewise they may have to consider more cores for the GPU or a change of architecture. We have heard _nothing_ about such a processor even in any early rev. Similarly, memory bandwidth will have to increase which may pose penalties as well, and they may need to look at some dedicated video memory on board which means more die space without a node bump.

Realistically, contrary to the at times sophomoric chatter about on how Apple will somehow lose a swath of potential customers and brand cachet if they fail to launch a new iPad in September, a move to a higher resolution screen that conforms to Apple's MO (of maintaining a consistent user experience) would come out next year when either a modified CA9/SGX5 is available (or at smaller litho at least) or Cortex-A15 shows up which is possible for 2012. Failing to include a new processor architecture would make this an interim product at best and necessitate yet another iPad in the first half of 2012 anyway. I find the suggestion that Apple is at some great risk of being outclassed by Samsung et al on the basis of display resolution to be completely bogus. Apple competes against those platforms primarily in the basis of its software ecosystem, UI, and product integration...features which its competitors have woefully failed to address to a degree average consumers find credible.

Thus, in all likelihood, if a high resolution display comes out from some other manufacturer, most people will still buy the iPad 2 or, if they want a higher resolution screen, will wait for Apple to produce an iPad that has it. I don't know if it's geek egocentrism or something else, but it seems like a lot of the people clamoring about an iPad 2 HD fail to appreciate that many if not most of the people buying iPads, iPhones, etc do not see other platforms as truly viable alternatives irrespective of flashy features. The iPad 2's hardware is good enough to keep the device from seeming obsolete, so the pressure to release a high resolution replacement is rather limited.

Last edited:

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
iPhone 4 'out of favor'? Madmen, they don't appreciate the beauty of their own creations!

Also, I think all these iPad HD versions are nonsense. There will just be an iPad 3, whose main feature will be a retina display just like the iPhone.

You were right man. Congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.