Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
It may be high resolution but it will still be a 10" screen. It will make fonts look great but it still won't be that great for intricate video and photo editing. I think this rumor is false.

There will eventually be a high resolution iPad but it will be the iPad 3 or 4 and will be targeted at everyone.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because they can only make it 2x, 3x, 4x, etc higher than the current resolution, otherwise they would have to either change the screen dimensions or require developers to recreate their apps. So yea, they do know what they are Talmud about. :p

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I think it makes a lot of sense to do this whilst the prices of those high-res screens are still so high. I just hope they can up the processing power commensurately, so it is not underpowered. It would be a bummer to spend money on this with an A5 chip only to find out it really needs the next iteration to power it properly. I can't be buying 4 iPads in 3 years, my wife is already close to divorcing me.
And I cannot wait to see my photographs on this screen! This will finally make prints unnecessary.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
Why the iPad HD only at the high-end?

Low-yield of the HD screens? Too pricey? Performance at that resolution too poor for games, but good enough for photo display?

I would say too pricey. If it comes in above $700 for the base model it'll be too closely priced to a Macbook.

RickinATL

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
The iphone "fell out of favor" with us, too, after my young son dropped it on Day One and shattered the glass front. (Short drop; any other phone I've ever owned would have survived it). I'm an Apple guy; we make our living using Apple products. But this phone is the worst phone I've ever owned (mostly thanks to AT&T, but the all-glass design was just stupid).

Next time-PLEASE--put function over form, just this once. Why? Because it's a PHONE. Make it RUGGED! Make it SLIP-PROOF. Just make one like that for the rest of us who aren't so flashy, okay?

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Too many models

Apple needs to do something to shrink the number of iPad models. There are currently 6 and if this rumor comes true that will add to the mix. I'm hoping the next iPads support multiple carrier technologies in one device, that will help a lot.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless they are making this to scrap the MacBook. Think about it...

They sell the iPad for $500-700, the iPad pro with a higher res screen and higher storage for $700-900 and then the MacBook air for $1000. They have every price point met with this!!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Okay, yet ANOTHER rumor about this...this has been rumored since BEFORE the iPad 2 launched, so it sounds plausible.

Okay, the "Pro" thing is and always has been a joke (if you take it literally as some fanboys do, instead of just going "Pro = higher end model"), but the screen itself is a neat idea (assuming the GPUs can drive it...although I suppose there's a chance they could add a GPU or two to this!

I don't like super high resolution screens on PCs, because neither Windows nor OS X have a way to scale programs correctly. But that hasn't been an issue on iOS, at least not so far where (like PalmOS) you're just quadrupling the resolution so it's a simple 1 pixel = 4 pixels thing.

The one thing I really like the 4x resolution on my iPod for is when reading text for a long time. Video? Using it in brief spurts? Eh... But for reading for a long time, it actually does look better.

Though I'd be more interested in a 4x eInk screen, since those are better for reading anyway.

Still...this is tempting, depending on how much it affects pricing.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I can totally see them doing a complete redesign now. The antenna issues and the glass back and exposed glass edges are all problems. The would be similar to when they changed the nano back to a slim shape after the "fat nano"... and also how they changed the shuffle back to having buttons after the buttonless wonder.

Oh, I think it's funny how the iPad HD will be targeted at video pros... because we all know how well Apple understands the pro video market... right? LOL

Wickedgardengtp

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
i will be selling my iPhone on ebay for $$$$ and using that money to upgrade to the next iPhone, and investing the rest of the money in colt 45s and smokes.....:D

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
iPad Pro.
Now there's a joke. What the hell does Apple know about Pro anything? :rolleyes:
Uh, do you really own all of those things in your sig? Have you considered selling some of them? It almost sounds like you are hoarding. I mean, how many laptops does a person need?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Re Pro Apps: Storage space will need to be increased significantly, or, add an ethernet connection

Video Editing apps require plenty of storage space and processor power.

XCode on an iPad - ugh.

Pro Apps to apple these days mean slightly more powerful versions of their iToy apps.

No business should seriously trust Apple, since they ( Apple ) are well known of canning its enterprise products suddenly, and without much notice.

Finally, if Apple is serious about iPad for businesses, the iPad needs to be 'jailbroken'. Businesses who write their own applications for internal use only don't want Apple's approval first and be listed on the AppStore. Not all businesses qualifiy for adhoc(?) distribution >500 employees.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
An iPad Pro would be great! But Apple needs to understand something. Pros won't take the iPad seriously for work without:

1.) Pressure sensitivity (think Wacom Cintique)

2.) More horsepower (speed, ram, capacity, etc)

3.) Ability to easily hook your gear up to it, storage expansion, etc

We will pay more for this device. I think they could do:

1.2Ghz Arm Cortex A9 4-core

1GB ram

Retina + Double video cores to 4

128GB storage

1 x USB & FW

Battery life around 8hrs

What they likely won't add, but might and would be great:

Pressure sensitivity

256GB of storage

Thunderbolt

SD card slot

Battery life the same as regular iPad, around 10hrs

12" Display option and matte option

Such a device would probably start around $1000 or more. But you can bet your mom I'm going to get one! I hope this rumor is true and they have a pro version that addresses some of the things I would like to have. I'd love to be able to kick back on the couch while editing RAW photos with a pro app. Or do some drawings on iPad with a stylus that is pressure sensitive. Such a thing is probably a dream, but it will happen some day.

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I love my iPad in every way apart from the low-res screen.

This boggles my mind. I have an iPhone 4, which I love. I bought an iPad 2 recently, and I can't tell the difference in screen resolutions. Is it because I hold the devices at difference distances from my eyes? Likely. But never once, not for a second, have the words "low res" entered my thoughts in regard to the iPad.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
That's probably why they would be calling it the iPad HD... not the iPad Pro. Really... the whole "aimed at video pros" thing is probably just a nice way of saying "a HD iPad is going to cost a bloody fortune".

An iPad Pro would be great! But Apple needs to understand something. Pros won't take the iPad seriously for work without:

1.) Pressure sensitivity (think Wacom Cintique)
2.) More horsepower (speed, ram, capacity, etc)
3.) Ability to easily hook your gear up to it, storage expansion, etc

We will pay more for this device. I think they could do:

1.2Ghz Arm Cortex A9 4-core
1GB ram
Retina + Double video cores to 4
128GB storage
1 x USB & FW
Battery life around 8hrs

[...SNIP...]

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Just please don't call it iPad "HD". HD stands for everything and nothing. Specifically, it's supposed to mean a group of low resolutions used on television. The iPad's current screen resolution is 1024 x 768, which is already higher than "HD". If you make the iPad's screen "Retina" resolution, you'll instantly get waaaay more pixels, which doesn't even compare to HD.

Anyway, I don't think it would be very Apple to have a low-resolution and high-resolution version of the iPad. Even if they did do it, it would only be because they can't get the retina screen price low enough, so you'd only have two models for like a year, after which only the retina version would remain.

If the iPad does get a retina version while keeping a non-retina version, then I think that what would happen would be this: Apple introduces the iPad 2 "Retina" in September, which is like the iPad 2 just with a better screen and maybe some other minor tweaks (camera?). The iPad 2 of today would remain unchanged. Then, a year from now, we'll see an iPad 3, with a retina screen and no low resolution screen at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.