Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
The 19th it is then

Wasn't the 19th said to be the date of the new MBAs at one point and everyone was surprised when it was suggested that they would be out this week....

Only one thing we can be certain of then, it will be released sometime between now and the 31st - and that's all we can hang our hats on I'm afraid :)

lacker

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
Disappointing news but oh well, who knows ? They might surprise us with it tomorrow :p Still looking very much forward to the release.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
michael-scott-no.gif

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
There's still a good number of bugs/quirks in the GM:

-Safari constantly throws up an error saying something to the effect of the page can't load, click to try again.
-Launchpad has no way to delete non-App Store apps and includes every app in the Applications folder (including all the Office uninstallers and all the various Adobe CS apps like Extension Manager and installers strewn about)
-Can't drag files into the Open File window to select it quickly
-Can't use Command-D to quickly select "Don't Save" when closing an unsaved document
-Can't remove items from the Finder sidebar by dragging them off
-No way to clear the list of recent documents from the Dock menu of apps

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
All the updates to Apple Apps seem to be pointing to a release soon, but I agree it does not look like this week now.

We have had updates for:

iPhoto
iMovie
iWeb
iDVD
GarageBand
Aperture

All to make the Apps 'Lion' aware amongst other things.
I noticed that the old Lion Preview versions have also disappeared from my App Store purchases, that happened very recently as well. The current GM does have some issues, but it could be released with a quick 10.7.1 (delta) update out via the Mac App Store in a few weeks.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
There's still a good number of bugs/quirks in the GM:

-Safari constantly throws up an error saying something to the effect of the page can't load, click to try again.
-Launchpad has no way to delete non-App Store apps and includes every app in the Applications folder (including all the Office uninstallers and all the various Adobe CS apps like Extension Manager and installers strewn about)
-Can't drag files into the Open File window to select it quickly
-Can't use Command-D to quickly select "Don't Save" when closing an unsaved document
-Can't remove items from the Finder sidebar by dragging them off
-No way to clear the list of recent documents from the Dock menu of apps

Funny - been using Lion for only a day and I'm seeing most of this.

Also:

- When the MBP goes to sleep, I can no longer wake it up via the trackpad. I have to hit the space bar for the screen to come back.
- The dashboard widgets when connected to an external monitor completely wastes the desktop on the external monitor. Lame.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I am not terribly surprised.

Apple is taking on a lot of major releases back to back. They have a bit of a lead right now, with Windows 8 a good ways off. I'm sure they're not in a rush to push things out before making them perfect.

I'll most likely update all of my machines except for a development machine for testing as soon as OS X Lion is out.

As we get past the Lion release -- I'm getting more and more curios about what Apple has up its sleeves after Lion.

The environment is changing, with mass adoption of iOS, Google finally shipping ChromeOS, Microsoft coming out with Windows 8, and HTML5 taking off as a major development platform. There are a lot of possible directions for Apple to take next.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Hmm I remember Snow Leopard releasing on a Friday. That made it easy for people to check it out at retail stores. I wonder if they'll follow that (I'm thinking July 29th).

Though yes the App Store may change that since it isn't going to be physical product. But there has to be some fanfare (in retail stores) for Apple's actual bread and butter, no?

erphan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
GM Release

It was hinted somewhere that Apple might release the latest units with GM builds. A GM build release tomorrow and the official release coming out sometime next week doesn't seem too crazy an option for Apple.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
It's all rumors. Lots of rumors.

Just because one "recognized insider" says one thing doesn't mean what everyone else has been saying up until now invalid. However, what everyone else has been saying up until now doesn't make what he's saying invalid. Because it's all rumors! ^_^

But the main thing is this: I'm thinking he tweeted "don't lose any sleep" because he's statistically advantaged by the fact that there's so many more days in this month for the release to occur. A smart prophet is one who tries to be statistically advantageous in his claims :D

I think there's a great chance there will be the release tomorrow. I'll be waking up early to see. In the end, it happens when it happens anyways.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Good! I'm too busy with classes this week anyway. It'd be torturous to have Lion out and not be able to do anything about it. Besides, we need this Lion to be as bug-free as possible.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Funny - been using Lion for only a day and I'm seeing most of this.

Also:

- When the MBP goes to sleep, I can no longer wake it up via the trackpad. I have to hit the space bar for the screen to come back.
- The dashboard widgets when connected to an external monitor completely wastes the desktop on the external monitor. Lame.

You have to click rather than simply move the cursor to wake up the machine. Not a bug, been like this since DP1 I believe.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The next "big thing"

Don't you guys know? All of this Lion stuff is a hoax, Steve Jobs is going to surprise us with the "next big thing" tomorrow, and it will blow your socks off...

liger.jpg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Lion

lol...

Apple is driving me nuts. Lets just hope it will be out before Saturday, so i can show it off to all.

It would be a good reason for Apple to delay if theres bugs, but still ... look what they did with iphoto when it shipped on disc, i couldn't open it until apple pushed out the 9.1 update.

Reckon Apples delaying this cos its part of the OS ?

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I have no idea if it will be released on 7/14 or not, but to those who think there will be another "GM" type release, it isn't going to happen. Any updates will be released as 10.7.1 update.

They had a second GM for iOS recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.